Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
A similar situation from years ago: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...-jean-king-says/ar-BB1nC421?ocid=BingNewsSerp
I think Billie Jean King has it right.

Reading that you also think of the comparison of how women's soccer popularity grew rapidly through an entire national team and the WNBA/college wbb is so tied to an individual.

Of course some Americans found a way to hate the entire USWNT but the people who are/were actually fans were part of growth of the new pro league in a much more healthy way than we're seeing in these daily WNBA headlines. It was better to have they hype spread around rather than on one individual, but at the end of the day the growth is good either way.

The worst case scenario for wbb is something like Pele and the New York Cosmos. A huge but very brief burst of popularity in the US that fades for a few decades afterward. Doesn't seem likely but not impossible, especially for the pro league.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Do you have some kind of inside angle to the sponsorship or brand leaders at these companies? Like I told Gonzo, you might be right, but none of us are in a position to actually for sure.
A'ja Wilson has been in the WNBA since 2018. She won Rookie of the Year in 2018, she was league MVP in 2020 and 2022, she was defensive POY in 2022 and 2023, she's been an All-Star in 5 out of 6 full seasons including her rookie year in 2018, she won WNBA championships in 2022 and 2023.

Why else would it take until May of 2024 for brands like Gatorade and Nike to sign her if not for the record-smashing viewership and attendance numbers? Seems pretty obvious. But you're right, none of us were in those meetings.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
A'ja Wilson has been in the WNBA since 2018. She won Rookie of the Year in 2018, she was league MVP in 2020 and 2022, she was defensive POY in 2022 and 2023, she's been an All-Star in 5 out of 6 full seasons including her rookie year in 2018, she won WNBA championships in 2022 and 2023.

Why else would it take until May of 2024 for brands like Gatorade and Nike to sign her if not for the record-smashing viewership and attendance numbers? Seems pretty obvious. But you're right, none of us were in those meetings.

Exactly. “SEEMS”. I already told you that I don’t know. You don’t either.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Geno is the man. No doubt about it. Did he recruit CC?
Assuming this is not a rhetorical question, no he didn't. There was an article around the WBB Tourney that CC actually wanted to be recruited but Geno never recruited her. I guess Geno could see what kind of player she was and decided that she wouldn't fit in his playing philosophy.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Her on the court antics are just fine, lol. It’s just that a lot of 40+ year-old men like to tell a 22-year-old girl what she should and shouldn’t do on the court.
She is an adult, she can do whatever she wants to on the court, or off it for that matter. The problem is, it is more than just 40+ year old men that don't support what she does. What is priceless about her on the court antics to me is her raucous supporters who insist that she is the beacon of light for young girls out there with a dream, somebody for them to look up to and model behavior after. So these people are ok with the current generation kids growing up to become whiny, foul mouthed instigators with a rage-against-the-machine approach to authority figures?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've still only watched 5 minutes of WNBA basketball about a month ago.

What's more popular over the next month in the USA, WNBA or cricket?

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

I personally think it's funny how "clarkies" always try to make something occurring elsewhere in the wnba to be about Clark. I'm not saying you're wrong... I just think it's funny

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I personally think it's funny how "clarkies" always try to make something occurring elsewhere in the wnba to be about Clark. I'm not saying you're wrong... I just think it's funny

Its most comparable to new Tiger Woods fans and everybody who followed golf before him…but if it was full blown a few years before he ever won that first Masters.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
She is an adult, she can do whatever she wants to on the court, or off it for that matter. The problem is, it is more than just 40+ year old men that don't support what she does. What is priceless about her on the court antics to me is her raucous supporters who insist that she is the beacon of light for young girls out there with a dream, somebody for them to look up to and model behavior after. So these people are ok with the current generation kids growing up to become whiny, foul mouthed instigators with a rage-against-the-machine approach to authority figures?
So be mad at her supporters then for insinuating that. Ever watch Luka play? He gets comments all the time how he complains too much. Nobody hates him for it they are just annoyed by it and he’s probably 1 of the 2 best players in the world and is more popular than ever eight now.

Again, it sounds like you are mad at her fans and the media not CC herself.

Edited: not just you specifically but the majority of this thread.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Assuming this is not a rhetorical question, no he didn't. There was an article around the WBB Tourney that CC actually wanted to be recruited but Geno never recruited her. I guess Geno could see what kind of player she was and decided that she wouldn't fit in his playing philosophy.
Geno was already committed to Paige and didn't need a second PG. He didn't feel the need to spend time recruiting CC when he already had Paige.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've still only watched 5 minutes of WNBA basketball about a month ago.

What's more popular over the next month in the USA, WNBA or cricket?

Cricket for sure. That was a monumental upset on par with the Miracle On Ice. I used to listen to a lot of TalkSport when I was hard in to following Arsenal, so I got used to the cricket stuff. It’s a pretty interesting game.

Reactions: Kinch

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No I get it. Jealousy is running through the league for a player who is only 1 month into her career. Doesn’t make the post I responded to any less dumb. That’s why I asked what is she suppose to do. “Sorry I won’t sign any endorsements until I’m the face of the league.” The worst thing CC has actually done is sign huge endorsements before the season. She never declared herself the best, the one, the savior. It was the media but they need clicks so they can paid.

Yeah her attitude absolutely stinks on the court but I’ve never seen her actively say things that would warrent hate. She’s been silent throughout this whole ****storm the past 2 years.
Geno said she’s a big trash talker. If she’s doing that, that could be the counter to it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron