Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Wasn’t fun that they accuse everybody that doesn’t worship CC of hoping she gets hurt. That’s some pretty disingenuous trolling.
Agree. I like to go at them in this thread for being a CC sycophant. But they do a lot in the off-season tourneys and I like what they represent in the cave. I also like how you are able to criticize CC here. It’s great. Gonzo is also in the cave and I like what they do there.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Agree. I like to go at them in this thread for being a CC sycophant. But they do a lot in the off-season tourneys and I like what they represent in the cave. I also like how you are able to criticize CC here. It’s great. Gonzo is also in the cave and I like what they do there.
Yeah, I am not in the cave. The only thread I can remember that I thought maybe they weren’t trolling was the FAFSA thread

FDISU

Sep 11, 2019
Right. Duncan was here for 4 years with only one winning season to show for it and took over a team that had won 8 games three years in a row and played in a bowl game in back-top-back years. McCarney was here for twelve years and took over a team that went 0-10-1 the year before. Winning % is super misleading.
Plus -- Didn't Duncan's team in 1980 go 0-5 after starting out the season 6-0. . . . and lost to University of Pacific at home during the previous season.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Agree that McCarney had to build the program up, but his coaching acumen couldn’t sustain as he went on to 34-40 and 17-31 in conference after reaching the pinnacle nine win season. Numbers that were only slightly better than Duncan.

McCarney's influence is much deeper than just the W-L records in the history books.

He made Iowa State football and Iowa State respectable for the first time in a generation or two. Yes, maybe he overemphasized the Iowa game, but winning that game definitely put him on the map. No, he never recreated the nine-win season or won the Big 12. But we were no longer a complete joke.

There is a generation of Cyclone fans who are Cyclone fans because of McCartney. He's also been a mentor to Campbell and TJ -- TJ talks about him with the reverence you would a favorite uncle or even a father.

If you're making a Mt. Rushmore of figures in the history of Cyclone sports, then you're going to have a hard time making a case that McCarney wouldn't deserve at least one of those four important spots.

Donnie Duncan... went back to Norman and all of us forgot about him.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I see a lot of variation in the quality of the Spider-Man movies. Does anyone have ones they love?

Reactions: CloneLawman

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Plus -- Didn't Duncan's team in 1980 go 0-5 after starting out the season 6-0. . . . and lost to University of Pacific at home during the previous season.
Our theme was “another one bites the dust” during the winning stretch

Reactions: FDISU