Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
It's easy to see why the rest of the NBA and their pre-Clark fans would have mixed feelings about CC and her toxic fans. The CC fans barely acknowledge the league existed before CC and think she should get star treatment from not just fans, but from coaches, officials and even the rest of the league's players. On the other hand, they drive TV ratings and buy tickets. It's inevitable that established players would resent that the entire league is supposed to be supporting cast for a rookie that is at best a raw talent at this point. And, it's also almost inevitable that some of the tension would take on racial tones from both sides. Time will tell. CC will become a more complete player or she won't. CC fans will gain appreciation of the rest of the league or they'll move on to the next thing. I don't have a dog in the fight.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This was pretty cool. Gotta feel good to get such support from a legend like SM.

444151156_10223790596663541_8248037218924101576_n.jpg

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

And a subset of Clark’s fervent fans have become fully unbearable.

Anywhere one turns on social media, Clark fans are blaming the Fever’s early-season struggles – which had been expected – on everyone but her. Disparaging comments about Boston’s weight and game, the rest of Clark’s Fever teammates and calls for head coach Christie Sides to get fired are constant. Yet those same Clark fans don’t demand accountability from the point guard when it comes to her setting a WNBA debut-record 10 turnovers, her below average defensive play and her zest for perimeter shooting, something she had free rein to do at Iowa but needs to scale back until she improves her consistency at the WNBA level. Clark’s occasional volatile temper, which earned her a rare technical foul last Monday night, is glossed over by her rabid supporters who treat her as an infallible celebrity instead of a still-developing professional player.

Wow. That article nailed hok fan. Spot on. Lol..

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was at a BBQ this weekend with some of my wife's Hawk family. According to one guy the rest of the Fever is dragging her down. The coach makes her pass too much. They just need to let her take control.

• Haha
Reactions: casey1973

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
LOL Murphy was saying that people need to quit ultra focusing on CC. Hell he was one of the 1st on that bandwagon. I believe she'll be a ok WNBA player, but she's just another pro.
Skinny white girl just happened to hit the endorsement window just right.
She might just be another pro, but I still think she sees the court better than the majority. Probably won't happen this season, but for many years to come will probably lead the WNBA in assists. She is also rebounding extremely well for a 6'0'' skinny white girl against much bigger, stronger females. I haven't watched, but would guess that most of that is just hustling to loose balls/bad misses. She is very quick, even relative to other pros.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
She might just be another pro, but I still think she sees the court better than the majority. Probably won't happen this season, but for many years to come will probably lead the WNBA in assists. She is also rebounding extremely well for a 6'0'' skinny white girl against much bigger, stronger females. I haven't watched, but would guess that most of that is just hustling to loose balls/bad misses. She is very quick, even relative to other pros.
Not trying to take anything away from her rebound numbers in the last game but the rebounds were in many cases fortunate bounces her way. I didn't see her rip them away from anyone else. I don't see her as an Ejim who outperformed his size

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not trying to take anything away from her rebound numbers in the last game but the rebounds were in many cases fortunate bounces her way. I didn't see her rip them away from anyone else. I don't see her as an Ejim who outperformed his size

Guard rebounding at the pro level is kind of weird. The emphasis is on getting back and stopping the ball, and so many shots go up that there’s bound to be 3 or 4 “freebies” every night. Chris Paul comes to mind, guys on his team just clear out so he can immediately have the ball in his hands to try and get the push after the opponent didn’t even attempt to board and just runs back as soon as the shot goes up.

This is also a big adjustment that Clark will have to make. Those easy run outs with one pass over the top aren’t there anywhere near as much as in college and she feasted on that. Same as gets the inbounds after a made basket at a full sprint, that doesn’t really work at this level because of the previously mentioned focus on getting back and setting up on defense.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
No, she is certainly not going to be out toughing or out leaping her opponents for rebounds. Like I said, I haven't watched her in the WNBA, but the majority of rebounds I remember her getting in college were off bad misses or hustling down a loose ball-rebound, fortunate bounces as you called them. Still, those are 50/50 balls that she's getting more than 50% of the time, so it is a bit of an inflated stat, but one that counts none the less. She just knows where the ball is at all times.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Fever lose another game at home 88-82. CC did get her 30.
In other news, the Fever have now officially been eliminated from the 2026 WNBA playoffs.
Time for her to catch the bench and rest up for the Olympic tryouts.