Time Doesn't Really Exist

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
So all the time I waste at work isn’t exactly something I should feel bad about? Hell yeah!

• Winner
Reactions: Knownothing

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
flatcircle-752x501.jpg

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
at the end of the day, we measure time by the rate at which things happen. you can't measure time itself with a clock, because it's not fundamental. this is pretty non-controversial.

he makes a very interesting point that time is really a measure of gravity -- clocks (and nuclear decays and energy state changes, etc.) run slower in stronger gravitational fields. and this is essentially straight from special and general relativity, which give a special relationship between times and distances.

however, i think he's a bit premature in saying time doesn't exist. our best fundamental equations still fail us in significant ways (e.g. we have not been able to quantize gravity), and "time" could end up playing a more important role in resolving some of these issues than he thinks.

big picture: i'm all for any anybody that can get people talking and thinking about physics!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I went for a run today. I generally eat healthy but fell of the wagon a bit on Thursday. Ten years ago that didn't effect me when I ran 2 days later.

It made a difference today, 2 days later and will likely make a difference for the next two weeks.

Time exists.