Tickets through ISU -- Mysterious

DugDaThug

Mar 24, 2014
I was wondering if anyone else has had weird vibes getting tickets to NYC through ISU on Monday. I work for a company that donates $$$ to ISU and are season ticket holders. We called to get some tix to NYC games. On the phone they were rushed, rude and a bit obtuse. Our company has one person who is the contact for our corporate account with ISU. Initially they said he was the only person who could buy the tickets and that he must be the one to pick them up in NYC-- he's not going to NYC... I am. After escalating to a supervisor, we were eventually given permission to buy the tickets under my name with my credit card.

Two days later, not one dime has left my bank account. They said they would only call if there was a problem (no call, thank goodness). They didn't know how much the tickets would be exactly (200, 250 or 295), and didn't know sections of MSG we would be sitting in. Every question I asked was answered in such a way that I could tell I was ******* them off.

My biggest fear is I get to NYC and can't get the tickets I thought I purchased.

I'm shocked they don't have a better way to notify people, give seats assignments, receipts, etc.

Anyone have any insight or similar experience?

D

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Can't explain the rudeness but for events like this oftentimes the schools don't even know where their seats are. Think of the intricate and complex behind-the-scenes work needed for an event like this.

All ISU probably knows is they are given X tickets and they can distribute them how they want to. It's all based on what others schools do, the public sale, etc. ISU doesn't even know where our seats are in KC for an annual event so I wouldn't hold it against them they don't know for a once-per-20-year event in the largest city in the country.

If I were you I'd print my receipt from ISU that confirms you got X tickets and keep that with you. I'd also print out any emails you have from ISU (with someone name and contact info on it) and bring those along. I know it's frustrating but that receipt may come back to save your behind.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
They are clearly trying to steal from you and leave you dissatisfied.

Everything they said is exactly what I would expect to hear based on the letter. If the company is the donor, naturally, they would expect the money to come from them. Probably even necessarily.
It's been stated a billion times over that the NCAA hasn't released the ticket locations yet.

This sounds like the customer was plainly wrong, but very irritating, and they were nice enough to get you what you wanted even when they could probably accommodate someone much more reasonable and polite. Congratulations.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
You joined March of 2014. Your handle indicates you're a thug, yet you want them to issue tickets under your credit card when that doesn't match what they have on their account. I can understand why there would be issues with what you're requesting.

How does ISU know whether you're some scalper or a Uconn fan trying to exploit an ISU account to get access to the limited supply of ISU tickets that they have? I've always found the ISU ticket office to be very cooperative, so I'm not sure what to think of your story.

Last edited:

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
You are lucky they helped you! How are they supposed to act if someone else from your company gives them the same story? If you do not like it, then have the company change the contact to you.

Limited tickets, the fact they helped you makes me think they had at least a little room in their allotment, or maybe got lucky and got the ISU allotment increased somehow, like they did for the Big 12 tournament.

I have never had trouble with the ticket office on games like this, if you did not hear from them then they took care of you. Be happy!

DugDaThug

Mar 24, 2014
They know because both the person on the account, who had all of the account information and I were together. It was a matter of the frontline guy being a little too rigid in the instructions he was given regarding individual cyclone club members. The supervisor was great.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I have always had very satisfactory experience with the ISU ticket office. Maybe they were temporarily preoccupied with signing a get well card for Georges. Please give them a little slack.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Okay, my money for the big 12 tourney did not come out until the day before the tournament. I am not sure if the payment for these games is processed by Iowa State or the NCAA host school? trust me they will get the money sooner or later! See you there!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Just a dumb question-- will ISU definately sell out their allotment and therefore must be very careful with the tickets they do have, or do we need to be a little more customer friendly here because the AD could use all the money they can get?

I have had no trouble getting my tickets for the last couple rounds, but it still does make you wonder if the person on the other line entered your request correctly. An email confirmation acknowledging your request would be a good idea. I see where you are coming from.

GO CYCLONES

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
The ISU ticket office is really poorly run and needs to get its act together. This is typical behavior from the ISU ticket office. You should thank your normal contact for having to deal with them.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
You don't personally have season tickets but think your bosses donations make you a special little snowflake?

Good luck with that attitude, Dug.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I was wondering if anyone else has had weird vibes getting tickets to NYC through ISU on Monday. I work for a company that donates $$$ to ISU and are season ticket holders. We called to get some tix to NYC games. On the phone they were rushed, rude and a bit obtuse. Our company has one person who is the contact for our corporate account with ISU. Initially they said he was the only person who could buy the tickets and that he must be the one to pick them up in NYC-- he's not going to NYC... I am. After escalating to a supervisor, we were eventually given permission to buy the tickets under my name with my credit card.

Two days later, not one dime has left my bank account. They said they would only call if there was a problem (no call, thank goodness). They didn't know how much the tickets would be exactly (200, 250 or 295), and didn't know sections of MSG we would be sitting in. Every question I asked was answered in such a way that I could tell I was ******* them off.

My biggest fear is I get to NYC and can't get the tickets I thought I purchased.

I'm shocked they don't have a better way to notify people, give seats assignments, receipts, etc.

Anyone have any insight or similar experience?

D

Kind of sucks you get tickets over a real donor. I wish they would have told you no...

DugDaThug

Mar 24, 2014
FYI... we have several owners, of which I am one. The account just happened to be in my partner's name. What's with all the assumptions on this topic? So friendly.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
How much are you going to sell the tickets for once you get them? $295 to selling for $500+ online would be a good profit. :jimlad:

I hope you are doing this for the right reason, and using the tickets your self and not selling them.

Last edited:

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Can you imagine the number of calls they get where someone knows someone and that someone gave that person permission to call and order tickets but they want to use a different credit card and name and that name doesn't show up in any database showing that they have ever bought a ticket before now. If you read all of this image the person in the ticket office getting this story 20 times a hour

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
It would be nice to at least get a confirmation email when dealing with the ISU ticket office. I ordered season basketball tickets over the phone and they mailed them to the wrong address...would have been nice to get a confirmation email then so I would have spotted the issue right away. Seems like it should be a pretty standard thing to do, especially when we're talking about hundreds of dollars.

They were fine when I called yesterday to order tickets for New York though. I still get anxious without a confirmation email or without any charges on my credit card yet.