Tickets Sold Out

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
Summary of post for those who didn't want to read it after the first sentence (and I understand that, but I'm bored):

1: I'm an Iowa fan

2: I get enjoyment reading about the poor people and people with lives outside of Iowa athletics who can't get tickets.

3: We Iowa fans absolutely must have an ability to maintain our superiority complexes, even amongst ourselves, so we have a stratified system revolving around ***** measuring.

4: Condescending pat on the head for finally getting almost up to Iowa's level.

Hey section...how's Iowa basketball season tickets been doing the last 5 years or so...I don't think Jamie has done bobblehead or free pizza night lately.

How was my comment condescending? It says a lot about the program Hoiberg has built to sell out season tickets in early July.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Fairly certain pollard released a statement saying no students were turned away for any game last year.
For the 2012-2013 season, no students were turned away. Some students will claim they got turned away for the KU game that year but that was only because that was the game where the students literally pushed through and broke the doors of Hilton and bull rushed past the ticket takers. They stopped letting students in for about a half an hour so they could count how many seats were open and let that many people in. Supposedly some students left thinking that they weren't getting in even though they would have gotten in if they would have been patient. Then they proceeded to ***** to the ticket office that they weren't let in and demanded refund despite there being seats or at worst standing room only. After that debacle when they opened up the doors for the KU game, they came up with the new system of lining up around Hilton and security only lets in 10 or so people at a time.

For the 2013-2014 season, the only game that students were turned away was Iowa. I believe that those refused entry were given refunds for that game.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
How was my comment condescending? It says a lot about the program Hoiberg has built to sell out season tickets in early July.

You might start with the idea that it was 90% about Hawkeye football & Hawkeye fans in a thread about ISU Basketball selling out. Then you could segue into your implied boast about how this has been going on in IC for, like, forever, man...but gee...it's so cute that you're selling out basketball.

Normally I just read past posts like yours and chalk it up to "consider the source". But in your 42 posts so far you have proved yourself to have black & gold blinders on, so you will have to work much harder to prove it wasn't condescending.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Make that 2 of us. Let me know if anyone has corners

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
You might start with the idea that it was 90% about Hawkeye football & Hawkeye fans in a thread about ISU Basketball selling out. Then you could segue into your implied boast about how this has been going on in IC for, like, forever, man...but gee...it's so cute that you're selling out basketball.

Normally I just read past posts like yours and chalk it up to "consider the source". But in your 42 posts so far you have proved yourself to have black & gold blinders on, so you will have to work much harder to prove it wasn't condescending.
I've been reading a mixture of Iowa and ISU message boards for years but for some reason this year I have seen a lot more Hawk fans trolling ISU message boards and ISU bashing threads on Hawk message boards. Don't believe me, look at the new posts section of hawkeye nation. There is always several threads up bashing ISU and they are some of the most active threads on the site. Something tells me that Iowa fans suddenly have an inferiority complex to ISU.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I've never joined another school's board just to bash their fans or chased them onto threads unrelated to ISU on ESPN & CBS, but obviously I will occasionally respond in kind on an ISU board/thread.

I have read a few threads over on HN, and I have to say that I really like this format (easier to read)...and REALLY appreciate the work the Mods do on this board.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I had season tickets in the McDermott years and I'm going to pretend I didn't read this post. I was ashamed of cyclone fans and their support of those teams at many of the games I went to...not to the degree of the Likliter hawks, but still pretty crappy. And sect 136 can go back to the collective circle jerk over on the hawk sites.

I was there too, and you are right to a point. There were a lot of games with big crowds too. The point is, in comparison to Iowa, Iowa State had more support despite not having as large of a fan population base within an hours drive of the venue. Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Quad Cities, Waterloo/Cedar Falls plus all of the towns have way more hawk fans in the area then there are Cyclone fans in central Iowa.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I had season tickets in the McDermott years and I'm going to pretend I didn't read this post. I was ashamed of cyclone fans and their support of those teams at many of the games I went to...not to the degree of the Likliter hawks, but still pretty crappy. And sect 136 can go back to the collective circle jerk over on the hawk sites.
What the hell do you expect? We were ******* terrible. People don't want to pay big bucks to watch crap. I was impressed with how well attendance was during the McDoormat years because anywhere else it would have been worse.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
What the hell do you expect? We were ******* terrible. People don't want to pay big bucks to watch crap. I was impressed with how well attendance was during the McDoormat years because anywhere else it would have been worse.
Three league wins a year. That was debbie downer basketball.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Three league wins a year. That was debbie downer basketball.
I think it was 4-12 in conference pretty much every year, but yea it was terrible. Pretty sad going to games in Hilton and expecting to lose all the time on our own court.

Stormwarning

Aug 6, 2013

Well...according to the post I was responding to you would not expect there would be so many empty seats. Your comments sort of make my point for me. Thank you...I guess.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
So for someone new to the whole process, I was able to put down the money on July 1st for my "spot in line" to get tickets. Am I basically crossing my fingers? Malchow said he expects 99% renewal??? am I basically in the hoping 1 percent? Cause I don't like my odds.

Stormwarning

Aug 6, 2013
So for someone new to the whole process, I was able to put down the money on July 1st for my "spot in line" to get tickets. Am I basically crossing my fingers? Malchow said he expects 99% renewal??? am I basically in the hoping 1 percent? Cause I don't like my odds.

I think that is right. All I know is we sat through the McDermott years and am glad we hung on. We will not be on the outside looking in. Now the team just has to perform.

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton

Trying to not sound like a jerk but I wouldn't like your chances either. I think it would take some serious drastic life events from ISU fans to not renew this season. These last few and with such a bright future, these are the seasons us fans have been waiting for

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looking like all seats will become donation seats. It is like buying a house in San Francisco - they sell for above their asking price.

CyHawk7

Aug 14, 2013

Tickets didn't even sell out last year. Everyone could renew and we're still going to have new season ticket holders this year for basketball. I honestly think your chances are a lot better than what some people on here are saying. Is everyone going to get tickets? No. But if you got your order in you have a better chance of getting them than not getting them.

Last edited:

Clon3

Mar 24, 2014

I would think that you will actually have a decent chance. Last year the tickets WERE NOT sold out. That means some season tickets were available for the upcoming season to new ticket holders and those that add a few additional tickets. So I am just estimating but say there were 10,000 season tickets last year. That would mean about maybe 500-1,000 were available for new/additional (lots of tickets held for recruits/families/student-athletes/athl dept/etc) + that 1%=100 free'd up tickets.

Basically my point is you're not a part of the 1% because there were more season tickets available for sale at the start of last year still.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
That makes sense. I just figured they were really close to selling out last year so there weren't many to buy to begin with.