Ticket prices to increase, parking and donation levels to change

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Oh please. I've never sold a ticket for more than face value, but no one is forcing these people being "gouged" to buy them. It's not gouging if people are willingly paying those prices.

I hate to see the tickets priced out of the range of some people, but it's expensive to build a winning program and I think most fans are willing to pay a little (or a lot) more to see a winning team than watching a losing team for cheap.

If a large enough number of people are willing to pay, then that is what the Athletic Department should charge.

I don't want to see tickets priced out of the range of some people as well, but there are a lot of people making a lot of money off of $8 face value conference basketball tickets. They are making that money for free off the backs of the athletic department.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Do you expect the Athletic Department to shoot for the moon (very high donation levels and ticket prices) that could be lowered in the future? Or just make smaller incremental raises as long as the market sustains it?

Both are ways to arrive at market value.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Do you expect the Athletic Department to shoot for the moon (very high donation levels and ticket prices) that could be lowered in the future? Or just make smaller incremental raises as long as the market sustains it?

Both are ways to arrive at market value.

I took the letter as a "brace for impact, we're going big" sort of thing.
I think $50 for football and $25 each year for basketball are well below what's coming, but I could be guessing wrong.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
good. i got 3 season tickets for $150/each last year, sat in the top row, and loved every game. i'd pay $250/ticket for the chance to renew to the same spot next year, and every year Fred is our coach.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How much is too much?

For FB, we have endzone seats and I would pay $250 . . . for the current seats. However, I'm not wild about paying more for sitting in the wedge.

For BB, we have corner balcony and I would also pay $250 without any griping.

I hope they don't quickly price us out of the market, particularly with big donation levels. However, I'm afraid that low donation levels will squeeze out the non-donation section, especially for BB. I may have to hope for the triple-selling of General Admission tickets so that I can get in and take the spot of a student who didn't show up.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Several thoughts:

1. I think most everybody would accept a modest increase in FB tix, knowing they are helping chip in on the SEZ. Maybe $25-50 a seat. If they go bananas and double prices, then you're going to have some issues.

2. You can have 10,000 seats reserved for FB at the Gold and up levels, and still have beaucoup seats to sell "cheap". But in Hilton, those 10,000 gold and up pretty much doesn't leave anything left for the hoi polloi. People donating that much just to buy tix, will not care much about how much those tix cost on top of the donation. Because so much of our fanbase is local, they will go to both FB and BB. At Hilton, you could see an airplane type pricing scheme, where "first class" costs 10x as much as "coach", and not much in between.

JP will have to do a spreadsheet and figure out which way is best for the programs. This is where it's good to have a finance guy in that role.

3. If the donation level goes up significantly to get anything like a decent seat in Hilton, then I think you will see more people "consolidating" their NCC memberships with friends and buying more tix per NCC member.

4. If they charge $50 for BB parking, then I will be parking at Larch or Lied or something. I already park way in the farthest lot by Trice to minimize traffic when leaving, when I can park several lots closer if I wanted to. No way I would pay additional in order to wait longer in traffic after games. Happy to walk 3 minutes to save 30 minutes. If by paying it would reduce traffic, then I'm in. It's already close to 2 hour drive home, at night, in winter, 18 times. Not paying $50 to sit in traffic wasting gas for an extra half-hour.

5. Had no idea it took $12,500 to get in the parquet corners. So when my wife had foot surgery, and we got re-seated to those spots free due to her handicap, that was a hell of a deal I guess.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Several thoughts:

1. I think most everybody would accept a modest increase in FB tix, knowing they are helping chip in on the SEZ. Maybe $25-50 a seat. If they go bananas and double prices, then you're going to have some issues.

2. You can have 10,000 seats reserved for FB at the Gold and up levels, and still have beaucoup seats to sell "cheap". But in Hilton, those 10,000 gold and up pretty much doesn't leave anything left for the hoi polloi. People donating that much just to buy tix, will not care much about how much those tix cost on top of the donation. Because so much of our fanbase is local, they will go to both FB and BB. At Hilton, you could see an airplane type pricing scheme, where "first class" costs 10x as much as "coach", and not much in between.

JP will have to do a spreadsheet and figure out which way is best for the programs. This is where it's good to have a finance guy in that role.

3. If the donation level goes up significantly to get anything like a decent seat in Hilton, then I think you will see more people "consolidating" their NCC memberships with friends and buying more tix per NCC member.

4. If they charge $50 for BB parking, then I will be parking at Larch or Lied or something. I already park way in the farthest lot by Trice to minimize traffic when leaving, when I can park several lots closer if I wanted to. No way I would pay additional in order to wait longer in traffic after games. Happy to walk 3 minutes to save 30 minutes. If by paying it would reduce traffic, then I'm in. It's already close to 2 hour drive home, at night, in winter, 18 times. Not paying $50 to sit in traffic wasting gas for an extra half-hour.

5. Had no idea it took $12,500 to get in the parquet corners. So when my wife had foot surgery, and we got re-seated to those spots free due to her handicap, that was a hell of a deal I guess.

Are there 10,000 Gold who want BB tickets?

I could see JP trying to get everyone for BB to be a donor. A $100 donation and modest increase in pricing will get rid of some riff-raff that aren't going to grow into bigger donors buying more expensive tickets in future years anyway. However, I think we still need the riff-raff (like me) to buy FB tickets without a donation.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I could have easily sold my upper deck end tickets for 75 bucks a piece on many occasions last year. There needs to be something done to make the face value come closer to the market value.

I also think we should be charging $50 for a parking pass. (for basketball)

We cant afford to miss out on revenue when its available.

Also, I hope they really start putting a little increase in the girls basketball program.

It will be hard to increase WBB tickets their attendance has been on the decline for the last few seasons. Tickets sold seem to be pretty steady but actual people in the seats not near the early 2000's. I attended most of the games this season and only one game toward the end of the season had a good crowd feel, even the Iowa game didn't have much buzz even though attendance wasn't bad.

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton
good. i got 3 season tickets for $150/each last year, sat in the top row, and loved every game. i'd pay $250/ticket for the chance to renew to the same spot next year, and every year Fred is our coach.

Same here. I got in on the 129 and was second last row. This year we moved down to 13 at 149. I like to think I have a cap price, but it only keeps breaking down to a couple bucks more a game, it's easy to justify. I couldn't go to 3 games and unloaded them for 50 a pair and ended up paying for one of the seats. Heck one of the games was Texas tech if I remember right.

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
Next season I hope to be a season ticket holder for the first time since the late 90's when I was a student. I will probably go for the minimum donation level and a couple of tickets, knowing that I will be anteing up a bit more the next year. I'll never be a mega donor, unless I win the lottery or something, but I am cool with prices going up as long as they are able to keep Hilton packed and the energy levels high.

I do worry about the students getting turned away next year as I've heard that they are overselling the student section by quite a bit more next year than last (if what I've been hearing is correct). I just hope that doesn't lead to any unpleasant issues or incidents as angry students get turned away. Has anyone heard if there were any unpleasant altercations in regards to the two or three games that they had to turn away students last year?

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton
Next season I hope to be a season ticket holder for the first time since the late 90's when I was a student. I will probably go for the minimum donation level and a couple of tickets, knowing that I will be anteing up a bit more the next year. I'll never be a mega donor, unless I win the lottery or something, but I am cool with prices going up as long as they are able to keep Hilton packed and the energy levels high.

I do worry about the students getting turned away next year as I've heard that they are overselling the student section by quite a bit more next year than last (if what I've been hearing is correct). I just hope that doesn't lead to any unpleasant issues or incidents as angry students get turned away. Has anyone heard if there were any unpleasant altercations in regards to the two or three games that they had to turn away students last year?

I hope it becomes and issue of angry students getting turned away at every single game

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

When students get turned away because they have oversold the student section, they will fix the problem. Until then, not turning away students is the problem!

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Jaime mentions in his letter all of the reasons that he needs to raise ticket prices and contribution levels, but he never mentions the fact that his annual TV revenue recently went up from several million to $23 million. I understand that it's an arms race when it comes to collegiate athletes, but it's going to be very difficult for average families to pack up the kids and head to Hilton or Jack Trice.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Jaime mentions in his letter all of the reasons that he needs to raise ticket prices and contribution levels, but he never mentions the fact that his annual TV revenue recently went up from several million to $23 million. I understand that it's an arms race when it comes to collegiate athletes, but it's going to be very difficult for average families to pack up the kids and head to Hilton or Jack Trice.
Because that increase has already been spent. That's what's funding the hundred-plus million dollars of renovations/construction the last 5-7 years.

I'll bet the changes for football are next to nothing. The basketball changes however will probably be pretty big and they should be. Demand is far exceeding supply right now so it's a no-brainer. His job is to make sure each ticket is as valuable as it can be. Making sure people can get into basketball games cheap doesn't bode well for that.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
I think I donate $500 a year to boot I'm just hoping that's enough to keep my seats at about a $100/seat increase-total of $1250 for 3 nose bleeds.