THT out for the summer league

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Yep...the Clippers and being hurt have pretty much f'd THT...that and choosing to leave early.

Where it looked like he'd be needed to fill cheap slots on the roster a week ago...he's now way down the depth chart & has no way to impress anyone sitting on the sidelines. More importantly there is no reason (financially) to keep him around to see how he develops, or even playing time in LA to let him develop.

He was never a 1st round pick going into this draft. All the sunshine pumpers & the BB press that have nothing better to do than project drafts really f'd THT imho. And that started about mid year when he started focusing and playing for the NBA draft more than being a part of the team.

Shayok is doing well with the 76ers...which I'm very happy about. Good guy, hard worker, smart kid. He's a real profesional guy who I expect to have a good NBA career. He won't be a superstar...but a solid bench & team guy who NBA clubs will be happy to have.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Yep...the Clippers and being hurt have pretty much f'd THT...that and choosing to leave early.

Where it looked like he'd be needed to fill cheap slots on the roster a week ago...he's now way down the depth chart & has no way to impress anyone sitting on the sidelines. More importantly there is no reason (financially) to keep him around to see how he develops, or even playing time in LA to let him develop.

He was never a 1st round pick going into this draft. All the sunshine pumpers & the BB press that have nothing better to do than project drafts really f'd THT imho. And that started about mid year when he started focusing and playing for the NBA draft more than being a part of the team.

Shayok is doing well with the 76ers...which I'm very happy about. Good guy, hard worker, smart kid. He's a real profesional guy who I expect to have a good NBA career. He won't be a superstar...but a solid bench & team guy who NBA clubs will be happy to have.
How do you really feel? :D

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Honestly, non-Kawhi Lakers is a good set up for THT. Heavy veteran roster and he’ll learn a lot about being a pro from that group. Won’t play much this season, likely up and down from G-league but valuable experience and can grow into a larger role in coming seasons if/when Laker cap space gets tight and they need internally developed role players with upside.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I do feel like THT was getting some bad info. There was no way any team was going to pick him in the 1st round. I actually believed all along that there was a better chance of him not getting picked at all than there was of him going in the 1st.

And I'm not sure why he didn't play in the 5 on 5 games at the combine either? Was he not healthy, or did he feel that it would only hurt his ranking by teams? To me it seemed like he thought he was a 1st rd lock so he didn't have anything to prove, but that wasn't the case, so I think it actually turned teams off from him that he didn't go out there and try to show his skills against the best in the country.

I still want nothing but success for him, he's an amazing talent, so I just hope it doesn't turn out that he's another one of those kids that if he only stayed in college one more year everything would have turned out better. Same goes for Wigginton too. Both of these guys are so talented.... definitely talented enough to play in the NBA... I just hope they didn't lose their chance by coming out too early.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I do feel like THT was getting some bad info. There was no way any team was going to pick him in the 1st round. I actually believed all along that there was a better chance of him not getting picked at all than there was of him going in the 1st.

And I'm not sure why he didn't play in the 5 on 5 games at the combine either? Was he not healthy, or did he feel that it would only hurt his ranking by teams? To me it seemed like he thought he was a 1st rd lock so he didn't have anything to prove, but that wasn't the case, so I think it actually turned teams off from him that he didn't go out there and try to show his skills against the best in the country.

I still want nothing but success for him, he's an amazing talent, so I just hope it doesn't turn out that he's another one of those kids that if he only stayed in college one more year everything would have turned out better. Same goes for Wigginton too. Both of these guys are so talented.... definitely talented enough to play in the NBA... I just hope they didn't lose their chance by coming out too early.

It’s like the last two pages of the thread never happened. Un ******* believable.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It’s like the last two pages of the thread never happened. Un ******* believable.

I didn't see where it was found while he was at the combine, sorry. I thought they discovered it after the combine.

I still stand by my statement that if his agent was telling him he'd be picked in the 1st rd, he was getting bad info. The draft backed that up. He didn't even go early in the 2nd rd. Wiggs wasn't ever going to be drafted.

But I guess they both just didn't want to play in college anymore no matter what, so it is what it is.

• Agree
Reactions: xr4ticlone

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)

I think WIgginton actually should have gone LAST year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think WIgginton actually should have gone LAST year.

Would have had a better shot than going this year, but still not sure he would have been selected.

I just hate seeing these young men all over the country being told how awesome they are by greedy agents and sometimes getting bad info.

Isn't there something like 200+ college players leaving college early and entering the draft? And they all think they're good enough to be picked because they're being told that by everyone.

I just hope everything works out for the best for THT and Wiggs, that's all.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Would have had a better shot than going this year, but still not sure he would have been selected.

I just hate seeing these young men all over the country being told how awesome they are by greedy agents and sometimes getting bad info.

Isn't there something like 200+ college players leaving college early and entering the draft? And they all think they're good enough to be picked because they're being told that by everyone.

I just hope everything works out for the best for THT and Wiggs, that's all.

Plenty of money overseas and opportunities are still there.

Their choice and if they were halfway out the door while at ISU, they should be doing other things and even if that means making relatively good money overseas, good on them.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: clonedude

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

His season has South Bay written all over it. Green, KCP and Daniel's all signed. Now have 12 roster spots filled one of the final 3 has to go to a third Center as Boogie is going to remain a question. Then the other 2 likely to Forwards as 2 of the 4 signed are 34.

Z Norvell already has a 2-way, not sure they spend their 2nd on another SG.

Getting the feeling LA saw THT as an 18 y/o kid w/ upside they could store in the D league for a couple yearz.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
His season has South Bay written all over it. Green, KCP and Daniel's all signed. Now have 12 roster spots filled one of the final 3 has to go to a third Center as Boogie is going to remain a question. Then the other 2 likely to Forwards as 2 of the 4 signed are 34.

Z Norvell already has a 2-way, not sure they spend their 2nd on another SG.

Getting the feeling LA saw THT as an 18 y/o kid w/ upside they could store in the D league for a couple yearz.
I think THT’s agent pull his LeBron strings to get THT drafted by the Lakers at that 2nd round spot when the obvious need for LAL was a more seasoned wing or PG prospect like Shayok with much better odds to immediately contribute. If THT’s agency doesn’t pull those LeBron strings, THT was in some danger of not getting drafted as there were only 3 collegiate one and dones picked in the second round. In hindsight, THT made the right decision since he likely gets a guaranteed 2 year deal for the minimum (~3.5M total) but his choice of agency bailed him out from a bad decision. I agree he gets more PT at South Bay next season than with LAL and possibly the next season as well (if he isn’t traded).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: xr4ticlone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think THT’s agent pull his LeBron strings to get THT drafted by the Lakers at that 2nd round spot when the obvious need for LAL was a more seasoned wing or PG prospect like Shayok with much better odds to immediately contribute. If THT’s agency doesn’t pull those LeBron strings, THT was in some danger of not getting drafted as there were only 3 collegiate one and dones picked in the second round. In hindsight, THT made the right decision since he likely gets a guaranteed 2 year deal for the minimum (~3.5M total) but his choice of agency bailed him out from a bad decision. I agree he gets more PT at South Bay next season than with LAL and possibly the next season as well (if he isn’t traded).

Isn't an NBA roster 15 NBA contracts, 2 2-way contracts then some lesser contracts?

They already have 6 guards in their 12 contracts.

Of the other 6 you have two Fwds age 34 and Cousins coming off an Achilles injury.

Could be wrong but those last three spots are going to be filled by vets with size.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Isn't an NBA roster 15 NBA contracts, 2 2-way contracts then some lesser contracts?

They already have 6 guards in their 12 contracts.

Of the other 6 you have two Fwds age 34 and Cousins coming off an Achilles injury.

Could be wrong but those last three spots are going to be filled by vets with size.

Six guards in the modern NBA sounds like a pretty minimal number.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I was also told 2nd round picks didn't impact the salary cap...not sure that's correct as I'm not an NBA guy. Had Leonard came to the Lakers that would have been a big deal for them...not so much now.

Regardless he needs to develop...that is probably in the G at this point.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Bookmark this thread for when THT gets a little older and starts tearing up the NBA.

Sure hope so for kids sake but his foot thing and Lakers not getting Kwa..will really hurt him.

As a 2nd rd pick you don’t exactly want to be sitting out first summer league

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Sure hope so for kids sake but his foot thing and Lakers not getting Kwa..will really hurt him.

As a 2nd rd pick you don’t exactly want to be sitting out first summer league
His timeline isn't really contributing this year either way. He has some seasoning to do.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I'm old school...but I think there is more exposure in college...and since none of them will be playing for a living in 10 - 20 years...having a free college education isn't going to hurt them as they try to put food on the table.

Unless you're a lottery pick, it's probably best to stay in college if you can afford to, and stay eligible.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I'm old school...but I think there is more exposure in college...and since none of them will be playing for a living in 10 - 20 years...having a free college education isn't going to hurt them as they try to put food on the table.

Unless you're a lottery pick, it's probably best to stay in college if you can afford to, and stay eligible.

or you can get 1$+ million guaranteed this year like THT will and if he washes out in the NBA (not likely, as he'll get multiple chances) he can play professionally overseas for 10+ years then go back to college and finish out his degree.
I don't know if Talen would have stayed at ISU knowing he'd be picked 46th but he still will be be paid and be able to help his family. Lindell and Cam are examples that probably should have stayed but both felt like they were done with college and prepared to take the long road to the NBA, They all made the choice best for them.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
or you can get 1$+ million guaranteed this year like THT will and if he washes out in the NBA (not likely, as he'll get multiple chances) he can play professionally overseas for 10+ years then go back to college and finish out his degree.
I don't know if Talen would have stayed at ISU knowing he'd be picked 46th but he still will be be paid and be able to help his family. Lindell and Cam are examples that probably should have stayed but both felt like they were done with college and prepared to take the long road to the NBA, They all made the choice best for them.

They signed Avery Bradley today. Million $ contract not gonna happen . That's 7 guards. I hope he gets a 2-way contract. 2 spots remain and they desperately need a third center and another true PF.

I feel for the kid but PLEASE WTF are you seeing that gets THT one of their 15 NBA full guaranteed contracts this season?

Help Support Us

Become a patron