Threw my back out...

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
My back goes out now and then. I did a chiro visit once when it was really bad and it helped. Walking and standing are good. sitting and sleeping are bad.

Reactions: LincolnWay187

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I used to throw mine out twice a year but I haven’t now for a few years thanks to a few life changes. Stretching every day, specifically the hamstrings. Core work is also good. I am anti chiropractor but some swear by them. I also replaced my bed which may have caused some of it. In answer to your original question, I never found a good remedy. Probably ice for the first 24 hours and heat later. And drugs. Lots of drugs!

I have a bottle of pain pills in my cabinet that my wife got prescribed for a stomach issue. I’m not a huge fan of them but may take one before bed tonight.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Think heat is better than Ice? I figured ice for the first 24 hours or so.

I'm sure everybody is different. I have lower back problems and when my back locks up I can barely walk. A hot bath helps relax the muscles so I can get some mobility.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've been to a chiropractor twice. Never again.

Quacks.
I think it's just different for everyone.
First time I went the Doc cracked my back and it sounded like a zipper. Completely took the air out of me and he had to handshake pull me off the table. I was sore for a couple days but he "unlocked" my back.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Remedies depend on what happened and what part of the back.

If it's still hurting in a few days get a PT set up. Chiropractors from what I understand don't provide strengthening.

My experience is that strengthening the hips/core can really be the remedy. Also stretching the hip flexors and hamstrings to take pressure off.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk
L

LincolnWay187

I wouldnt put off going to the doctor if youre in pain. My back pain kept lingering for a couple weeks when I thought it would be getting better....nope..save yourself some pain there. He gave me some muscle relaxers and some exercises like leg lifts to build the strength back up. I credit those minor exercises he gave me to do in helping me prevent future occurences and that was 5 years ago now.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Chiro will really help, you may have to go a few times to get it straightened out, but, depending on your insurance, its not too expensive to go.

Ive had a lot of neck and back issues, chiros really helped. If you are around the Ames area, VerHelst does a great job, granted, you willnuave to go A LOT.

Reactions: cyfan21
L

LincolnWay187

My back goes out now and then. I did a chiro visit once when it was really bad and it helped. Walking and standing are good. sitting and sleeping are bad.
Like he said. Make sure you sleep on your back or side. I do face down and I am sure did me no favors. I am completely against chiropractors. Do yourself a favor and do a quick google search on the invention of chiropractics and you might think twice about going again.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Lay on your back in a T position. Raise rght knee up, try to touch it to the floor/bed on your left side without raising your shoulders off the surface. Repeat on other side. Slow stretches help me when my back flares (scoliosis & arthritis).

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I’ve had some pretty bad back injuries in the past. I tried everything, the only thing that worked long term was PT and following their core strengthening and stretching plan.

My visits to a chiropractor felt good but felt it was temporary. It didn’t appear to provide any long term help.

Getting a good stability ball and roller has also really helped. I spend time every day on both just stretching and light exercises.

I will also second KCs advice. A flat floor with knees up can be be your best friend. It is one of the only ways I know to ease spasms.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I’ve had back issues since I was 18. Two ruptured discs more than likely due to genetics, according to Ortho. Rest and heat. I’ve aleays found aspirin to be a superior product for back pain for me, not for everyone, but does the trick as good as any opioid I’ve ever had and I’ve had them all.

Key to keeping it pain free over the long haul is core strength. Lots of crunches and body weight squats. Want to get really crazy, do crunches while lifting legs. I’ve been pain free for about ten years following this regiment and I’m now 47.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I hurt my back a couple times a year. Tried a chiropractor for several visits and wanted it to work - it helped a little. Then went to an M.D. and got Rx for prednisone and that does the trick for me every time.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
I recommend chiro. Some chiros try setting up numerous appointments, that’s when you run and know they’re after you’re money. I have been to chiro probably 5 times in my life and am serious weightlifter with several kiddos in my 30s. Several times I’ve had issues from heavy squats and go to chiro right away, take it easy for a few days and back to normal. Love my chiro, hate doctors

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
I suffered a major back injury 4 years ago. Ended up with a ruptured L4-L5 disc. Worst pain imaginable. The sciatica that came with it cannot be explained to someone who has never had it happen to them.
I'm much better now and the best advice is to stand and walk as much as possible. Back injuries take a long time to heal, just keep active and try to incorporate walking as much as possible into your daily routine. NSAIDs and a heat pack for 15 minutes first thing in the morning will help limber you up for the day.

Balrog

Sep 17, 2008
Des Moines
www.tryactipatch.com These "gizmo's" really work. It will knock your pain down 50-60% and you don't have to take handfuls of pain meds. I have used it for years on my knee. They are being paid for by the National Health Service in Britain as an alternative for the use of opioids. Soon to be the national go-to alternative for medications that mess with your liver. It sure works for me............

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hate chiros but will use them when needed. Like someone else mentioned, if they say they need to see you more than once, find another. There is some Palmer chiropractic college guys who want you there 6-7 times. Newest want you to prepay one year in advance. Don’t go there.

If you go have them pop you back and do everything at once. My guy will give me lists of stretches and exercises that will keep me from coming back after he treats me.

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
18p2w0.jpg

Reactions: Cy4Lifer