Three Thoughts on Thursday: How about this guy for OC?

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
I want Saban here. It's a shot across the bow of the SEC and ESPN nd immediately raises the league's cache.

It's not like we're beating these down Texas squads anyway.

We beat them this year... In a world when we are beating Texas 2 out of every 5 times, I'm not disappointed with that #Mack4Life

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I'm a bit confused on the article... it seemed like it began by discussing a hypothetical person to replace Rhoads (which would be Alford) but then, without actually making the transition, just implies that we are now talking about the OC job? ("I have not heard a single word that would indicate Alford is a serious candidate for this job." -- "this job" isn't defined, I guess we all just mentally go to replacing Mess... then again, the RB coach slot is open, too!)

I guess having "OC" in the headline, I just assume that everybody would figure it out. And he isn't going to leave Notre Dame to take the same position as RB's coach at Iowa State.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I'm curious how you know he is a bright offensive mind since he has been a position coach. Is it his game planning, call sequencing or adjustments?

Reputation in the coaching world and the fact that I have covered his teams/position groups/players (and him) before/gotten to know him.

Just because a guy hasn't been an OC before doesn't automatically mean he would suck at it. Everybody has to get their first shot somewhere at some point in time.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Reputation in the coaching world and the fact that I have covered his teams/position groups/players (and him) before/gotten to know him.

Just because a guy hasn't been an OC before doesn't automatically mean he would suck at it. Everybody has to get their first shot somewhere at some point in time.
CPR does not mess around when hiring the best.

ChickenWing

Dec 22, 2008
Des Moines

I was genuinely curious how you knew he had a bright mind as it relates to the duties OC position. Maybe his involvement in the background on the areas i mentioned. There are a lot of high level position coaches that don't have the interest or ability to be a coordinator. They can be an excellent person/coach/recruiter without possessing the qualities of a coordinator. On the flip side there high school coaches that have brighter minds than high level position coaches as it relates to scheme/game plan/play calling. Most likely a bright offensive mind is not satisfied being a position coach and would desire to implement and control an offense regardless of the level he is at.

Of course money talks and once he got it based his recognized skill set he doesn't want to take the risk.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
If Saban ends up at Texas, I have been wondering what would happen if he fails to win the NCAA title after his second season there.

Saban isn't going to Texas, it is just a hustle by his agent to get more cash out of Alabama. If he did go to Texas the buyout would be so expensive assassination would the the only way to get him out of there.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Texas can afford any buyout. Also that job would be so much more easy, and he'd make more money. Not to mention people would rather live in Texas than Alabama. Texas is the premier job in college football.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
I want Saban here. It's a shot across the bow of the SEC and ESPN nd immediately raises the league's cache.

It's not like we're beating these down Texas squads anyway.

It's a shot at the SEC.

It's not a shot at ESPN. Hell, ESPN owns Texas just as much as it does the SEC. ESPN would love a Texas monster to grab more power for the Longhorn Network.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Chris, you're definitely stirring the pot here, but that's your job as a journalist. I'd rather all options be explored than pass some one over. I hadn't considered Tony, but being that he was here before, and his good reputation, I would love that hire.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008

. Yeah, but can iowa state afford to give another guy his first shot? Instead of going with experience to please the masses?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
As much as I like Tony Alford as a coach and recruiter, I don't know about hiring an OC who's never called plays. This hire is the crossroads of the ISU program under CPR. He hasn't had a good offense yet. Get the hire right and ISU will continue an upward trajectory (assuming this year is a bump in the road). Hire the wrong OC and ISU will be looking for a new HC in two years. Wally has a couple of years left at best. I think that CPR would want to minimize risk with the OC hire as much as possible. That would mean getting someone that has called plays and runs an offense that is successful. I'd love to see Tony back on the staff, but I'd rather have CPR hire someone that has run an offense successfully at some level, even if it is 1AA.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I'd go Co-OC. Coach K and Sturdy. Maybe more of K being the OC and Sturdy being his assistant. Give them full control though to run what they want how they want.

CPR can't do what he did forcing Messingham to run Herman's offense, then forcing coach Ks pistol in there the following year. Let your OC do what he thinks is best, while CPR sticks to motivating his team and helping Wally on defense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron