Thoughts on Matt Thomas

DrShekelstein

Jul 30, 2013
We lost so much with Babb, McGee, and Clyburn graduating this year. Thomas needs to adjust to our man coverage, or other teams will get easy open shots off of simple screens.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
We lost so much with Babb, McGee, and Clyburn graduating this year. Thomas needs to adjust to our man coverage, or other teams will get easy open shots off of simple screens.

Good news is we have the size to allow him to play D on their worst 1-3 player. Kane and Hogue at 6'4" and 6'6" play good defense and will not be outsized by any guards. Last year with McGee and Lucious on the floor, it was tough with the height difference and bad defense they played when both of those guys were out there at the same time.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Good news is we have the size to allow him to play D on their worst 1-3 player. Kane and Hogue at 6'4" and 6'6" play good defense and will not be outsized by any guards. Last year with McGee and Lucious on the floor, it was tough with the height difference and bad defense they played when both of those guys were out there at the same time.

Agreed. Everyone thought our problem was post defense the past couple of years, but out post players usually struggled mainly when opposing guards were getting into the lane at will. That's when you pick up fouls. @ K-State was the only game I feel like we really abused by posts in the paint by posts.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Seriously, I don't think the original comparison to Paige had anything to do with ability. Just on the fact that's he feels like he's been around for so long. Kind of like how Jess Settles played for Iowa for about 17 years.

But to compare, I was going to say Thomas is most like a combination of Hoiberg and Jesus, but since those two are the same, even the fails to compare.

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
Haven't read the whole thread but if Thomas puts up similar numbers this year to what Gatens did his freshman year I think almost everyone would be quite happy. 10PPG over 40% from 3

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I like how when trying to compare him to someone, it automatically has to be a white player.

Well give us a black player he reminds you of that played for Iowa State.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I've seen one complete game with him and think it's impossible to think of a good comp until he feels like he has to take more shots for us to win. There are a million comps right now because he just looks like a great spot up shooter with a better than average handle, nice size, and a floater...what I would love to see out of Matt is a Marcus Denmon type, but we'll see if he has the game inside of the 3 pt line that Denmon had. It really just depends on what kinds of shots he can get off as he develops -- you can't make a shot you don't take! :smile:

Last edited:

Dingus

May 23, 2013
If Thomas is able to stay with quicker, more athletic guards on D he's going to get all the minutes he can handle. Great stroke, great passer, good handles.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I didn't watch the game, just listened to it on the radio. Sounded like Matt Thomas had some Freshman jitters in the 1st half, and that he really played well in the 2nd. He should be a great player for us. Georges Niang kind of struggled this game. Imagine if he plays like he is capable of and all of the other players play well, this team will be dangerous!

FIFY

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Thought this would be the best place to post this. My dad and I were talking about Matt Thomas recently, and we both noticed he seems to make more long 3s then the 3s he shoots right on the arc. Is it possible that he's just been too close the entire time and he needed to back up? Sort of a strange problem to have.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Thought this would be the best place to post this. My dad and I were talking about Matt Thomas recently, and we both noticed he seems to make more long 3s then the 3s he shoots right on the arc. Is it possible that he's just been too close the entire time and he needed to back up? Sort of a strange problem to have.

He doesn't get many open looks at 3's unless he's real deep.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS

Just like Naz and Matt both stinks shooting free throws, but they are really good three point shooters. Maybe they should shoot free throw from three point range.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

No, it's just indicative of his confidence level rising. Seeing him attack the basket shows that his confidence is going up too.

Help Support Us

Become a patron