Thoughts on Matt Thomas

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I didn't watch the game, just listened to it on the radio. Sounded like Matt Thomas had some Freshman jitters in the 1st half, and that he really played well in the 2nd. He should be a great player for us. Georges Niang kind of struggled this game. Imagine if he plays like he is capable of and all of the other players play well, this team could be dangerous!

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Here's my question:

Vaughn and McKay come here next year. Does Thomas start?

And it starts......

Again, can't wait for 4 years of asking if Matt Thomas starts a la Ejim in hypothetical line-ups. If he's starting as a frosh, he's likely starting all 4 years.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
This whole thread belongs in the bizarro forum.

Keiton Page isn't even a good player.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I thought he played pretty well. His jumper will always be there because that shot is textbook. I didn't realize he only played zone in high school-- I hope he can adjust to the handcheck point of emphasis. I've also heard alot about him being more than just a shooter. I thought his first step looked a little slow and indecisive tonight, but you can tell the ability to do more than just shoot jumpers is there.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I thought he played pretty well. His jumper will always be there because that shot is textbook. I didn't realize he only played zone in high school-- I hope he can adjust to the handcheck point of emphasis. I've also heard alot about him being more than just a shooter. I thought his first step looked a little slow and indecisive tonight, but you can tell the ability to do more than just shoot jumpers is there.

I bet he played a lot of man defense on his AAU team.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If he makes threes, rebounds, gets a few assists, and doesn't turn it over, I'll go out on the limb and guess he might get a pass if he doesn't turn out to be Mr. Lockdown.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
If he makes threes, rebounds, gets a few assists, and doesn't turn it over, I'll go out on the limb and guess he might get a pass if he doesn't turn out to be Mr. Lockdown.

Loved his spot up '3' off the fast break. Does the team have to adjust if he struggles with the man-to-man in order to keep his 3-point shooting threat on the floor? Or will he play more or less depending on the match-ups?

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames

I thought that when watching his high school highlights. I think it makes a difference that he's a legitimate 6'4" and has muscle. He isn't going to look traditionally quick, but his build combined with the respect his shot garners, he can be effectively quick. I just made that up, but I think you can understand what I'm trying to say.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Actually he didn't
Yes, he did. After the comment that he hasn't played zone his whole life it took me less than 5 minutes to find AAU action of him playing man to man. That said, they don't play great defense in AAU for the most part.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
He's awesome. Will average double figures this year in all likelihood. Really looks like a natural scorer with a pretty good midrange game as well. He just seems to be able to fill it up so effortlessly.

I'm hoping he will be our go to shooter from three and hit some daggers in big games. Then over the next few years he can develop his game and be a dangerous all around scorer.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Yes, he did. After the comment that he hasn't played zone his whole life it took me less than 5 minutes to find AAU action of him playing man to man. That said, they don't play great defense in AAU for the most part.
Why does he have any reason to lie to the media about never playing man defense? Seems weird.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron