Thoughts on Matt Thomas

Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
I was very pleased with what I saw, his defense was lacking the first half and Fred was really getting after him about it at one point. He came out with some intensity in the second half and looked much better in all aspects of his game.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Not sure I would say his defense was "awesome". He appeared to be one of the weaker defenders on the team, though I'm sure that will improve.

He appeared very saavy with the new foul rules. He cut off the driving lane and gave weakside help alot. For his 1st Hilton appearance I give him a thumbs up

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Not sure I would say his defense was "awesome". He appeared to be one of the weaker defenders on the team, though I'm sure that will improve.
First competitive game Thomas has played man to man defense. He only played zone in HS

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
And if Thomas scores 15 PPG in the next couple years, I think we would all be pretty happy.

But I get the argument that Gatens only scored that much because his team sucked, because it did. But he was also the unquestioned shot taker for the team and decently clutch.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Dell Curry?
Craig Hodges?

I'm just randomly picking shooters here.

Only thing I know about those two is I think Curry is Seth & Steph's dad?

But it could be.

I'm trying to think of a 6'4-6'5 shooter who doesn't get to the rim much, but works mid range and short mid range along with being a spot up shooter. Most spot up 3 pt shooters are a little shorter and can come around screens a little harder.

Offensively I think it looks like this:

Skillset: Scotty C
Build: Fred Hoiberg

But I think that Gatens is a better comparison than either Scotty or FH as a single comparison. Maybe Adam Haluska? But Thomas is a much better 3 pt shooter than Haluska was. Honestly, looking at Haluska he is a much worse shooter than I thought he would be. 40% from the field, 36% from 3.

But anyway. I still say a quicker developing Gatens is a good comparison.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Here's my question:

Vaughn and McKay come here next year. Does Thomas start?

Good problem to have.

PG Whoever
G Thomas
G Hogue
F McKay
F Niang

?

EDIT: I forgot Vaughn. This is hard. Maybe Vaughn could run the point. That would match up a decent amount with what Fred has done in the past. And Vaughn played a little point in high school I think.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron