Thought I'd check out Ken Miller's new show on the 1700 the Champ...

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Won't be tuning again. When he and his sidekick weren't gushing over the Hawkeyes, they interviewed a reporter for the Ames Tribune to talk Cyclone football. After commenting about the horrendous turnout for the game (which is true), they asked him four questions:
  1. Do you think ISU's secondary is overrated?
  2. Has Lazard's season been disappointing so far with all of the dropped passes?
  3. Do you think ISU's offensive line is getting credit they don't deserve since so many of Montgomery's yards are coming after contact?
  4. Unfortunately, I can't recall what the fourth question was, but I do remember is was a negative type question like the other three.
While each of these questions might be fair to ask, they were all from a negative perspective. Of course they didn't acknowledge the two pic-sixes so far, or Lazard's 3 touchdown receptions, or anything else of a positive nature.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Actually, they did have a lot of positives to say about ISU. They said that they both think ISU is a pretty good football team and that was another win that showed they were heading in the right direction as a program. Also said, that Lazard is nearly unstoppable in the redzone. Said Montgomery has been amazing. Said the OL is great in pass blocking. Said Lanning looks he is getting better and had his best game. There were other things as well.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Won't be tuning again. When he and his sidekick weren't gushing over the Hawkeyes, they interviewed a reporter for the Ames Tribune to talk Cyclone football. After commenting about the horrendous turnout for the game (which is true), they asked him four questions:
  2. Has Lazard's season been disappointing so far with all of the dropped passes?
  3. Do you think ISU's offensive line is getting credit they don't deserve since so many of Montgomery's yards are coming after contact?
  4. Unfortunately, I can't recall what the fourth question was, but I do remember is was a negative type question like the other three.
While each of these questions might be fair to ask, they were all from a negative perspective. Of course they didn't acknowledge the two pic-sixes so far, or Lazard's 3 touchdown receptions, or anything else of a positive nature.

Ken to me is the most neutral around. The first 10 minutes of his first show he ever did with his new timeslot, he was bashing the Hawks.

All the questions you posted are legitimate questions to be honest. I'd disagree most with the first, but the fact is teams have been passing against us and getting third down completions. That could be more scheme than anything. We all can agree Allen is amazing but has had a couple unfortunate drops this year so far.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I always liked Ken Miller. I did not like Marty. I think Ken brings good insight and is enjoyable to listen to. He has good guests and covers many teams.

The items items you brought up about being negative are all observations I had.
  • Lazard is good, but drops too many passes, especially easy catches.
  • Montgomery has made many of the runs on his own, not due to the offensive line making holes (even though I think they are getting better at run blocking. They are however good at run blocking.)
  • I think some of ISU's secondary is good, but 100% agree that Everett Edwards gets completely lost. Even back to the UNI game, we repeatedly have blown coverages that lead to big plays/scores. I think at one point Akron was 7/9 on third down and many of those plays were 3rd and 8+, not 3rd and Short.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
Trent is not my favorite, but I don't mind Ken. I thought he had a lot of good things to say at the beginning of the show about the Cyclones. This show is 1000 times better than that dumpster fire he had with Marty though

• Agree
Reactions: k123

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I listened to the same thing and felt he was completely fair. As another poster mentioned, Ken is literally the best and most objective guy we've ever had on radio locally. If you want Cyclone rah rah with no substance, there are options. I'd rather have someone who is neutral and knows what he's talking about and is not afraid to ask tough questions or question either of the state programs.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Those are all fair questions IMO.

1. Yes
2. Probably not because he has done a lot of good to make up for the drops, but the drops are disappointing.
3. Probably. Montgomery has done a lot of this on his own. Hoping that unit continues to get better throughout the year.
4. Ok.

• Agree
Reactions: isu81 and mj4cy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I listened to the same thing and felt he was completely fair. As another poster mentioned, Ken is literally the best and most objective guy we've ever had on radio locally. If you want Cyclone rah rah with no substance, there are options. I'd rather have someone who is neutral and knows what he's talking about and is not afraid to ask tough questions or question either of the state programs.

This. KM does not really care for Jamie Pollard and its obvious. However, he will applaud Pollard when its deserved. I'd rather hear what neutral guys think rather than Cyclone supporters. No offense to great Cyclone reporters, but sometimes I like an outsiders opinion.

Reactions: CyInDFW

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Good gosh take the cardinal tinted glasses off. Ken Miller's show has been great.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I always liked Ken Miller. I did not like Marty. I think Ken brings good insight and is enjoyable to listen to. He has good guests and covers many teams.

The items items you brought up about being negative are all observations I had.
  • Lazard is good, but drops too many passes, especially easy catches.
  • Montgomery has made many of the runs on his own, not due to the offensive line making holes (even though I think they are getting better at run blocking. They are however good at run blocking.)
  • I think some of ISU's secondary is good, but 100% agree that Everett Edwards gets completely lost. Even back to the UNI game, we repeatedly have blown coverages that lead to big plays/scores. I think at one point Akron was 7/9 on third down and many of those plays were 3rd and 8+, not 3rd and Short.
How about this?
  • Lazard has dropped some passes he should have caught, and he'd be the first to admit it. However, he's made 3 touchdown catches already and two of them were excellent fade catches. Yes, his number of receptions have gone down some, but he's now the major focus for opposing defenses and ISU has plenty of other excellent receivers to go to. Oh yea, his blocking has been outstanding as he's reason why our wide receiver screens are productive. Outstanding fumble recovery against Akron as well.
  • Agree, Montgomery has been a beast, and he has gained a lot of yards on his own, but not all of them. For an O-line that everyone and their brother said would be ISU's weakest position group by far, I'd say they're making excellent progress thus far.
  • Let's be fair - the secondary has returned two interceptions for touchdowns in 3 games. Not too shabby. Yes, they've made a few bonehead coverage mistakes, but the one against Akron which resulted in a touchdown was caused by a freshman corner and a freshman safety. They also have a "freshman" middle linebacker who's learning all about underneath coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I wonder how much $ Ken Miller makes per year. Not trying to take a shot at him I'm just genuinely curious what the salary is of a central Iowa local sports radio host.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Always love the local radio discussions. By threads end every local guy will be accused of being a Hawk fan mainly by being more positive about the team winning 7-8 games than the team winning 3-4 games.
Thats usually followed by people with the super original "don't listen" take. Because who doesn't want to listen to Rich Eisen and every other national guy talk meaningless NFL news year round.

• Funny
Reactions: mj4cy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I wonder how much $ Ken Miller makes per year. Not trying to take a shot at him I'm just genuinely curious what the salary is of a central Iowa local sports radio host.

He also works for a gig in Vegas that does handicapping/sports betting ect.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
How about this?
  • Lazard has dropped some passes he should have caught, and he'd be the first to admit it. However, he's made 3 touchdown catches already and two of them were excellent fade catches. Yes, his number of receptions have gone down some, but he's now the major focus for opposing defenses and ISU has plenty of other excellent receivers to go to. Oh yea, his blocking has been outstanding as he's reason why our wide receiver screens are productive. Outstanding fumble recovery against Akron as well.
  • Agree, Montgomery has been a beast, and he has gained a lot of yards on his own, but not all of them. For an O-line that everyone and their brother said would be ISU's weakest position group by far, I'd say they're making excellent progress thus far.
  • Let's be fair - the secondary has returned two interceptions for touchdowns in 3 games. Not too shabby. Yes, they've made a few bonehead coverage mistakes, but the one against Akron which resulted in a touchdown was caused by a freshman corner and a freshman safety. They also have a "freshman" middle linebacker who's learning all about underneath coverage.
Those responses are blowing smoke.
  1. iSu has had a lot of injuries in the secondary and has to bring extra guys to get pressure. With that said, the DBs are on islands more often and will give up plays. The injuries have led to blown coverages and iSu is giving up too many yards on third downs. They need to play better but the talent is there, it just needs more time to get healthy or learn.
  2. Without Montgomery, the running game would be obsolete. Run blocking has been bad and you can see that between the production of Warren and Montgomery. Montgomery gets the extra tough yards. Warren needs holes. Not sure if the OL will get better run blocking or not. They seem somewhat limited.
  3. Lazard is losing money every time he drops a ball. It is that simple. That and his speed are his biggest faults. He won't improve his speed at this time so he has to improve his hands. The good news is iSu isn't limited to just Lazard.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I see nothing wrong with those questions at all. I think most on here have the same questions.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I'm a big fan of Ken Miller, always have been. I am very glad he's got this show. As most others have said he calls it like he sees it which is refreshing.

If you are lurking Ken, keep up the good work.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm not a Kenny fan by any means and didn't hear the show. But I don't have a group problem with his questions. Maybe weren't worded the best, but fair points.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron