This trend in road games is really bugging me

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The problem is we have no depth. For our style of play to work, we need at least a 9 or 10 man rotation. Teams keep pressuring us and we get exhausted and force us into fouls and turnovers. We can't win only playing 8 players, especially on the road. Even if it's just a few minutes off the bench, we need our 9th or 10th players to give the main guys a break.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The problem is we have no depth. For our style of play to work, we need at least a 9 or 10 man rotation. Teams keep pressuring us and we get exhausted and force us into fouls and turnovers. We can't win only playing 8 players. Even if it's just a few minutes off the bench, we need our 9th or 10th players to give the main guys a break.

But we sit Ward and Tre King.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It’s like they forget how to play basketball as soon as they step off the bus. I don’t get how a team can be so horrendous on the road. Absolutely embarrassing

They played good for the 1st 30 minutes. Then the wheels fell off.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
The problem is we have no depth. For our style of play to work, we need at least a 9 or 10 man rotation. Teams keep pressuring us and we get exhausted and force us into fouls and turnovers. We can't win only playing 8 players, especially on the road. Even if it's just a few minutes off the bench, we need our 9th or 10th players to give the main guys a break.
Like I said at the time, banking the scholarship was a really awful idea. Because now we have this issue.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Obanor and others were killing us on the boards. Why Tre didn't play much in the 2nd half is mind boggling
Hey man, Rob works hard and has a totally cool and unforced nickname. He's gotta play even when teams go small and force switches of the 5 onto the 1. Who cares if King is far more athletically capable of handling that? I don't hear any sick and awesome nicknames from the announcers about him!

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
It is beyond me how bad this team is on the road. Looking back on it, even the games they have won on the road are still concerning. They were lucky to blow another huge lead at OU and somehow escape with a W, and then one Gabe 3 away from yet another collapse on the road when they blew a 9 point lead with 3 minutes left to play. It’s like they have no idea how to play with a lead, and I’m not sure how that happens

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Per your last sentence...are you saying this is...a basketball team?

They're pretty good when they're good, and get way off when they're not.
Way, way off. Our droughts can be unusually brutal and it seems like once we hit one, we can't pull out of it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Way, way off. Our droughts can be unusually brutal and it seems like once we hit one, we can't pull out of it.

Not just droughts, they're ruts where they can't operate in the most basic facets of the game.

It was like that vs. Iowa, Mizzou and the last 10 minutes last night. Snippets of it at OSU.

With the upcoming schedule this may last a while.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I think ISU's schemes also cause issues. Constantly switching and helping on defense creates favorable offensive mismatches and open shooters when teams have similar athletic ability. It works fine when ISU is athletically superior, like many of the non-con season games. But come conference time, the mismatches are exploited, often resulting in a lot of fouls, and there is enough game video available now for coaches to scheme to find the open shooters.

On the other side of the ball, ISU doesn't pressure the defense much, and doesn't shoot many FTs. When they do shoot them, they don't shoot them so well. Last night, if ISU could have just shot FTs at 60% , they win the game.

In 4 of the road games, the opponent has had a +10 or more advantage in FTAs, and in three games the advantage was closer to 20 (TCU +19, OSU +16, TT +16). FTs are how teams with leads put games away, and how teams that need to make runs get back in the game. Unfortunately, ISU is on the bad end of both of those. Thankfully, TCU shot terribly from the FT line, or that would have been a loss for ISU.

Reactions: Acer88

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
This is a problem now.

Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech have all had insane runs against us while we went into major droughts. It's not happening in Hilton. Villanova and kinda North Carolina had those against us in Portland too.

I understand P6 games away from home are tough. I understand that other teams are going to go on runs as well. But how are we constantly blowing 15+ point leads on the road? That should not and cannot keep happening.

It's going to happen when you have officials double up the fouls on the visiting team. One of the reasons why we're so good in Hilton. Given that fact, ISU still wins last night if they call the obvious foul on what turned into the Grill turnover under the hoop.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It's going to happen when you have officials double up the fouls on the visiting team. One of the reasons why we're so good in Hilton. Given that fact, ISU still wins last night if they call the obvious foul on what turned into the Grill turnover under the hoop.
Or ISU wins if they shoot better than 57% on the 21 FTs they were given.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
When young Cascade was on the sophmore bball team, right after the earth cooled, we had a game at Camanche. Camanche was terrible, and we were winning easily. There was about 5 people in the stands, maybe it was a saturday make up game, or maybe it was a JV game - honestly I am not 100% sure anymore.

Somewhere in the 4th quarter, we started turning the ball over like crazy. Giving up runouts, probably a 10 point run or so, I suppose, cut the lead to like 6 or 8. Coach called timeout.

As we turn to head to the huddle, Coach is coming off the bench, running at us like an insane man, waving his arms, and yelling at the top of his lungs:

"YOU'RE ****ING YOUR PANTS!! YOU'RE ****ING YOUR PANTS!!"

It echoed thru the empty gym. We were all just STUNNED, too shocked to laugh or be afraid, just in shock. This was long ago enough that public swearing was pretty taboo, esp by a coach/teacher.

No idea what he told us in the huddle other than probably "calm down". Maybe one of the other guys would remember. At any rate, it worked, we stopped ****ing our pants, held onto the ball, and won the game.

Maybe TJ can try this technique the next time it happens.

CycloneJoe6

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2012
Iowa
Our late game shot selection in conference play has been abysmal. Way too much hero ball / getting caught up in the moment.

Examples:

TT - Grill step back 3 down 2 + another wild 3 when we still had plenty of time left (12 sec when first shot went up)
Oklahoma State - Tre King missed 3 down 2 (9 secs left to get a better shot)
Kansas - Grill wild missed 3 at the buzzer (don't hate this one too much, as going to OT in Allen Fieldhouse is a no no)

Might take heat for this but even Gabe's game winning 3 against TCU wasn't a very quality shot considering we were only down 1

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
Is there nobody besides Lidsey who can play point? He's a complete liability offensively on a team that needs offense. Barely shoots at all. I know he's a freshman and will look like it from time to time, but if he can't make up for turnovers by scoring, then he's not helping us.

It feels like we've struggled against pressure forever though.
He would drive a couple times and then never came back to it. Not trying to be the coach but he needs to do a short jumper so they need to guard him.