This trend in road games is really bugging me

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is a problem now.

Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech have all had insane runs against us while we went into major droughts. It's not happening in Hilton. Villanova and kinda North Carolina had those against us in Portland too.

I understand P6 games away from home are tough. I understand that other teams are going to go on runs as well. But how are we constantly blowing 15+ point leads on the road? That should not and cannot keep happening.

Most teams are bad on the road. That's not unusual or alarming.

The blowing the big leads IS a bit alarming. That's a very poor trend.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Just not that good of a team. Just need to be happy with making the tourney and maybe winning a game or two

This team built a 23 point lead for 2/3 of the game. Plenty good to beat an 0-8 team with no life for 30 minutes.

Choke job all around, coaching staff included. How we had Lipsey continue to handle the ball after he clearly wasn’t right and then had Jones and Lipsey out there together when we needed to score. TJ just got outcoached by Mark freaking Adams.

TJ deserves all of the credit for what he’s done but it’s the second Big 12 road game in a row where he **** the bed with key lineups, lack of adjustments, and zero ability to figure out how to get out of a prolonged funk.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This is a problem now.

Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech have all had insane runs against us while we went into major droughts. It's not happening in Hilton. Villanova and kinda North Carolina had those against us in Portland too.

I understand P6 games away from home are tough. I understand that other teams are going to go on runs as well. But how are we constantly blowing 15+ point leads on the road? That should not and cannot keep happening.

Not to say this isn't a really disturbing trend, because it is. But the flip side is that we've had some deficits at home too (early against Baylor and Texas) and roared back to win somewhat comfortably - the mirror image of these Okie State and Texas Tech games. If you looked at any of these final scores without knowing how the game played out, you probably wouldn't be surprised by any of them.

So maybe it's just that we're a team of runs and droughts that come and go at different times.

Reactions: isufbcurt

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Is there nobody besides Lidsey who can play point? He's a complete liability offensively on a team that needs offense. Barely shoots at all. I know he's a freshman and will look like it from time to time, but if he can't make up for turnovers by scoring, then he's not helping us.

It feels like we've struggled against pressure forever though.

Not anyone healthy. We have seen anyone who is good enough to play point on this team on the court. Lipsey is the best option. Holmes is serviceable. Everyone else would be a total disaster. He will be the starting PG until he graduates probably.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Usually defense travels, but for some reason it hasn't been for this team. We probably will win out at home, or lose 1 at most but on the road I have 0 confidence with this group.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Everybody looked tired the last few minutes of regulation. All our shots were short. Hope that doesn't mean we're running out of gas like that 2001 team. Just hit a wall in both tourneys.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
This team is Jekyll and Hyde on the road. Sometimes both show up in the same game. Des Moines will slip away but we will still be a threat and a team many will not want to see in March.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
To be fair it absolutely put us in a tailspin when the refs all of a sudden wouldn't let us play defense after the 2nd TV timeout in second half. Same refs all of a sudden decided to officiate completely different than they had the first 28 minutes of the game.

ChickenNuggetMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
Just not that good of a team. Just need to be happy with making the tourney and maybe winning a game or two
STOP STOP STOP. This mindset and your constantly moving the goalposts back has got to stop.

We scratched and clawed our way to 1st place in the conference despite the fact that TJ is incapable of making 2nd half adjustments. And then we piss away a 24 point lead to the last place team and you drop this turd of an expectation about being lucky to make the tournament.

TJ showed his weaknesses tonight. Our team straight up looked lost. If you keep up this “lucky to make the tournament” mindset that’s all we will ever have. 3 days ago we were talking about a potential 1 or 2 seed. Now we’re lucky to make the tournament? C’mon dude.

ChickenNuggetMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
To be fair it absolutely put us in a tailspin when the refs all of a sudden wouldn't let us play defense after the 2nd TV timeout in second half. Same refs all of a sudden decided to officiate completely different than they had the first 28 minutes of the game.
That certainly didn’t help but don’t pretend we didn’t stop taking care of the ball and running offense too.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Spread the floor & let Harmon just go one on one for 13+ minutes and we had no answer. Coaching has lacked on the road for the proper in game adjustments.
So hard to watch. Free throws or a layup for 14 straight minutes. I suppose going to a zone, they would have hit 5 three pointers in a row. I don't know.... there is just so many things to say about this game. First, the second half turnovers. Lipsey surprisingly with a bad stretch. Then the offense in the second half... like Missouri all game pressuring, Okie State the second half, and now this game the second half. Don't let us pass, run our stuff, and cut so easily and you can stop us. I KNOW one must be careful reacting after a game like this....but after 3 of the last losses, I'll be surprised if we finish better than 10-8.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
Big Rob Energy needs those minutes…
This is becoming a real issue. Love BRE & the idea behind it, but wow it is EXTREMELY noticeable when he is on the court, & not in a good way. Jazz can't come back soon enough. Keep Rob to 5-10 mins a game MAYBE if he's contributing something - otherwise the big rotation needs to be Osun, Tre, & Jazz. I'd rather see Hasan in there but he must have pissed TJ off at some point.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
then Tech started body-checking on defense away from the ball & the officials allowed them to do so. Pushed our sets further from the basket & we settled for too many jump shots & didn't attack the basket enough to match what they did.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
STOP STOP STOP. This mindset and your constantly moving the goalposts back has got to stop.

We scratched and clawed our way to 1st place in the conference despite the fact that TJ is incapable of making 2nd half adjustments. And then we piss away a 24 point lead to the last place team and you drop this turd of an expectation about being lucky to make the tournament.

TJ showed his weaknesses tonight. Our team straight up looked lost. If you keep up this “lucky to make the tournament” mindset that’s all we will ever have. 3 days ago we were talking about a potential 1 or 2 seed. Now we’re lucky to make the tournament? C’mon dude.

How do peoples own expectations for this team affect anything.