This sport is stupid anyway

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
I think it means "In-Vitro Fertilization on National Health Service for Women Over 40?" I'm guessing that Britain pays for IVF for women up to age 40, but not over, since the fine print said something about ageism. Lots of acronyms in that title, though!

Boy, my post backfired.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I'm not trying to get people to like soccer. I don't give a **** if you like soccer or not. I just don't get why people who don't like it have to go out of their way to try and ruin it for people who do. I don't like hockey but I don't post in every hockey thread about how stupid I think the sport is.

I enjoy watching the US play in the World Cup and was quite let down when they failed to beat Ghana. I was as ****** as many of the hardcore soccer fans with how the US got absolutely jammed by the referees in 2 of their games. Now that they are eliminated my desire to watch the games has gone way down.

Sadly I think before soccer really starts to takeoff from a fan perspective in the US we will need to turn our national team into a perenial power like Brazil. As far as the MLS goes it is a far cry from the caliber of play in the English Premier League and I think most casual fans understand that which is why it hasn't really got the support it needs to become big in this country. Americans want to root for a winner and until the product improves you won't see soccer becoming huge here like it is just about everywhere else in the world.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What the point of playing something if you're going to allow it to end in a tie?

Additionally, when will soccer players stop being such *******? I've never seen a sport with so many girls on the field. They bump into somebody and you'd think they got hit by a truck. If one of them got hit in the *** with a pitch in baseball they'd probably roll around on the ground and cry their eyes out. If Ray Lewis tackled them, they're probably die on the spot.

It's really just their version of all the flopping in basketball. Unfortunately both have gotten worse and worse.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
What the point of playing something if you're going to allow it to end in a tie?

Additionally, when will soccer players stop being such *******? I've never seen a sport with so many girls on the field. They bump into somebody and you'd think they got hit by a truck. If one of them got hit in the *** with a pitch in baseball they'd probably roll around on the ground and cry their eyes out. If Ray Lewis tackled them, they're probably die on the spot.

Just an awful World Cup as far as gaining fans in the US goes.

so much crap diving going on, scoring is down, the US gets blatantly jobbed, and the officials can't get any calls right at all. hard to market when even the most hardcore fans hate what's going on right now. Instead of fixing things, FIFA would rather just hide.

sportspickle.7a04e6c7aa2cbbcff5872be8031ec298.jpg

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Boy, my post backfired.

LOL - that made me laugh. My "serious" answer could be totally wrong... I enjoyed the intended reason for posting, though. :smile:

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
It's really just their version of all the flopping in basketball. Unfortunately both have gotten worse and worse.

In soccer flopping gets yellow cards while in basketball it is called "having a high basketball IQ"

also the two worst flopping teams didn't even make it out of the first round, so it is starting to get outplayed. Maybe the reason people roll around hurt is because they are hurt, running full speed and getting hit does hurt, especially if you are getting ankles stepped on.

I agree not as much as Ray Lewis hitting you, but then again there is a reason that most football players suffer some sort of brain damage

andynel88

Mar 20, 2007
IVF ON NHS FOR WOMEN OVER 40? I don't get it?

Of course you don't get it, you spent a second trying to understand it and gave up and reverted to bashing it on the internet, just like with soccer. (BTW it's a headline about a completely unrelated story; check the wording above the headline) It's fascinating that if soccer is so irrelevant and unimportant why people must commit so much time to bash it.

Also, if it is so unimportant and irrelevant and not cared about in the US how did a Soccer game on an early Saturday afternoon get watched by more Americans than both the first 5 games of the Stanley Cup AND NBA finals, both of which air on primetime?!

I'm sorry you don't like soccer, but judging by your picture you're just another Iowa-based-Red Sox fan who wants ESPN to turn back into the east coast sports hub dedicating 40% of their summer coverage to Sox/Yankees games that take 5 hours and are more boring than 8 scoreless draws in soccer combined. It's one thing that you don't like soccer but stop trying to speak for the rest of the country when it's become obvious that it has found a hold in the mainstream- Euros in 2012 are gonne be huge! Get over yourself. Rant over.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
On the other hand, I find some soccer defenders to be just as annoying. I've had many people tell me that "I just don't get it" or "You have to give it a chance," when it comes to soccer. Well, I've got news for you, "I have given it a chance, and there's not that much to get." It's just not my cup of tea. But just because I happen to find the game painfully boring, I get labeled as a neanderthal, like there is some deep rooted wisdom I'm missing, that I'll discover if I just watch enough games end in a tie.

The argument I love is when people tell you what a cultural snob you are if you don't like soccer. " Try embracing other cultures. Step outside the United States once in a while. What have you got against third world countries, where they all love soccer?"

I've actually heard these arguments made in all seriousness. Like I'm some kind of bigot or something because I don't care for a boring sport.

The soccer snobs bring every bit of this razzing onto themselves.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The irony of soccer bashers bashing on the defenders of soccer. Pretty funny, yes there are those defenders that are a little off base, but the bashers seem pretty intent on continually bashing fans and the sport. Just look at most topics of the World cup on this site. Pretty ironic. I love watching soccer, but I'm not going to go overboard and and try to make people like it. Its just like types of music, some people like it some people dont. The ones who believe there opinion is the only opinion are idiotic ones, and there seems to be more bashers trying to talk down about the sport which creates more of these defenders.

Back on topic, The new york post is crap anyways.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Of course you don't get it, you spent a second trying to understand it and gave up and reverted to bashing it on the internet, just like with soccer. (BTW it's a headline about a completely unrelated story; check the wording above the headline) It's fascinating that if soccer is so irrelevant and unimportant why people must commit so much time to bash it.

Also, if it is so unimportant and irrelevant and not cared about in the US how did a Soccer game on an early Saturday afternoon get watched by more Americans than both the first 5 games of the Stanley Cup AND NBA finals, both of which air on primetime?!

I'm sorry you don't like soccer, but judging by your picture you're just another Iowa-based-Red Sox fan who wants ESPN to turn back into the east coast sports hub dedicating 40% of their summer coverage to Sox/Yankees games that take 5 hours and are more boring than 8 scoreless draws in soccer combined. It's one thing that you don't like soccer but stop trying to speak for the rest of the country when it's become obvious that it has found a hold in the mainstream- Euros in 2012 are gonne be huge! Get over yourself. Rant over.

Um, I think he was making a joke that he didn't understand why the picture was in the thread by pretending that he thought the IVF thing was the point.

We allow threads that are pro-soccer and try to keep the hate out of it; we can also allow threads here that are anti-soccer without the posters being hated on. Please keep things respectful.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
In soccer flopping gets yellow cards while in basketball it is called "having a high basketball IQ"

also the two worst flopping teams didn't even make it out of the first round, so it is starting to get outplayed. Maybe the reason people roll around hurt is because they are hurt, running full speed and getting hit does hurt, especially if you are getting ankles stepped on.

I agree not as much as Ray Lewis hitting you, but then again there is a reason that most football players suffer some sort of brain damage

So the sideline has magical healing powers that lets them jump right up and back in?

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
The argument I love is when people tell you what a cultural snob you are if you don't like soccer. " Try embracing other cultures. Step outside the United States once in a while. What have you got against third world countries, where they all love soccer?"

I've actually heard these arguments made in all seriousness. Like I'm some kind of bigot or something because I don't care for a boring sport.

The soccer snobs bring every bit of this razzing onto themselves.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with liking or disliking. If you watched the sport and just don't like it, there's nothing wrong with that.

Stating something like.. just because the US isn't great at it, it's a sport not worth watching.. then yeah, that's being a snob about it.

Otherwise, to each his own.

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
Just an awful World Cup as far as gaining fans in the US goes.

so much crap diving going on, scoring is down, the US gets blatantly jobbed, and the officials can't get any calls right at all. hard to market when even the most hardcore fans hate what's going on right now. Instead of fixing things, FIFA would rather just hide.

FIFA is by-far the worst thing for soccer. They seem to love the controversy, as it happens every World Cup. But I can't agree that it was a bad World Cup for fans, as it has broken nearly every ratings record. Plus, after Donovan's goals, that was about the only thing being talked about.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Sox/Yankees games that take 5 hours and are more boring than 8 scoreless draws in soccer combined. It's one thing that you don't like soccer but stop trying to speak for the rest of the country when it's become obvious that it has found a hold in the mainstream- Euros in 2012 are gonne be huge! Get over yourself. Rant over.
The worst baseball games (I'm talking any combination of the Royals, Pirates, Orioles, etc.) are more entertaining than scoreless draws in soccer. At least somebody has to win.

and 99% of the US doesn't care about soccer. They pretend to care when the World Cup is on. Poll people in a few weeks and I'll bet you the vast majority can't tell you more than 2 players off the US roster.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
= Quit ******* Trying to get people to like soccer. People just aren't going to get it.
I'm not trying to win people over to liking soccer. If people don't like it, that is their decision. I just want people to respect it and respect the people who DO enjoy soccer.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
FIFA is by-far the worst thing for soccer. They seem to love the controversy, as it happens every World Cup. But I can't agree that it was a bad World Cup for fans, as it has broken nearly every ratings record. Plus, after Donovan's goals, that was about the only thing being talked about.

Agree on FIFA. just terrible. I wasn't saying it was a complete fail, but I just thought the situation was set up for soccer to possibly explode if the US got to at least the quarterfinals, and there was a good tournament with lots of free flowing play..

Instead we see a ton of 0-0 draws and consistently awful reffing.

Help Support Us

Become a patron