This never happens in baseball....

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
BASEBALL UMPIRE KILLED. - Called Foul on a Home-Run Hit and Was Attacked. - Article - NYTimes.com

the link might not be credible, but if it is, shows this happens in other sports.

That was 1899. I'd love to see how many refs have been killed from soccer compared to umps in baseball. Back in 1899, baseball was the best thing to do in America.

Also, since I'm being fair, I'm gonna fix some comments. Baseball games are rarely 4 hours, unless they go into extra innings, in which case, those are the most exciting games. Consider that your "sudden death" in soccer.

On average, an MLB game is 2.5 - 3 hours. So yes, I would rather spend 1 hour AT a baseball game, where the atmosphere is much more AMERICANO than 1 less hour at a soccer game, where people blow horns that they bought for 50 cents at some vendor, and pray to GOD that the fans don't riot and start murdering everyone in site, which is exactly what happens in just about every game outside of the United States.

I'm still trying to decide...it may not even be 1 hour more, considering you guys do injury time and half time.

And I understand, you like soccer, I like baseball. But I'm just telling you exactly how soccer is seen by Americans. Which is the right way.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
That was 1899. I'd love to see how many refs have been killed from soccer compared to umps in baseball. Back in 1899, baseball was the best thing to do in America.

Also, since I'm being fair, I'm gonna fix some comments. Baseball games are rarely 4 hours, unless they go into extra innings, in which case, those are the most exciting games. Consider that your "sudden death" in soccer.

On average, an MLB game is 2.5 - 3 hours. So yes, I would rather spend 1 hour AT a baseball game, where the atmosphere is much more AMERICANO than 1 less hour at a soccer game, where people blow horns that they bought for 50 cents at some vendor, and pray to GOD that the fans don't riot and start murdering everyone in site, which is exactly what happens in just about every game outside of the United States.

I'm still trying to decide...it may not even be 1 hour more, considering you guys do injury time and half time.

And I understand, you like soccer, I like baseball. But I'm just telling you exactly how soccer is seen by Americans. Which is the right way.

AMERICANO as in more boring? I'd rather be at an EPL soccer game than an MLB baseball game. Not just because it's another country, but because the atmosphere at one of those games is 10 times better than a baseball game.

Why do you think murders are common in soccer? I'm pretty sure I don't recognize multiple murders after soccer games. The only incidents I can think of wasn't even a murder, Fabrice Muamba, who collapsed on a pitch from a heart problem. Racism is prevalent in parts of Europe, but that's a different story.

Injury time is like at the max 5 minutes for each half, so 10 minutes in rare occasions.

It's not a good debate that MLB atmosphere is better than EPL atmosphere, not even close tbh.

Look, I can point to just as many examples of people from different countries that think american football is stupid, it's mostly an opinion thing, no right answers on the question.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You cheer and sing at EPL soccer games. As a man, I'm not into that stuff.

I would go to Fenway, Wrigley, or Yankee Stadium ANY DAY before I would attend ANY soccer match.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
and pray to GOD that the fans don't riot and start murdering everyone in site, which is exactly what happens in just about every game outside of the United States.
...what?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

I would go to Fenway, Wrigley, or Yankee Stadium ANY DAY before I would attend ANY soccer match.

it's not singing, that's like standing in Cyclone Alley and making noise, that's exactly what they are doing but with actually chants.

I'd rather go to a Barcelona/ Real Madrid/ Man United/Arsenal (favorite team, so doesn't count) over a Yankees game (Yankees fan). Difference on opinions.

If the game is a world series game, then i'd go to the baseball game, any other scenario it's obvious where I'd go.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
[video=youtube;Hxo9e5Wr51Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxo9e5Wr51Q[/video]

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I don't like soccer, but I would watch it a week straight before watching a full baseball game or golf tournament.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't dislike baseball either, and going to a game is decent fun, although most of that is drinking beer and eating nachos which I suppose I could do anywhere. But the idea of spending 3 to 3.5 hours watching a game on TV is completely crazy to me.

I love the NFL and even that is pushing it at 3 hours per game. Maybe I have ADD.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I don't hate nascar either, but don't watch it, Indy is a good time. Baseball is one of few sports I just can't stand to watch.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

Come on, Cubs. As a Cub fan, you'd better be singing at the 7th inning stretch!

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
In comparing American football to soccer, I would like to point out that the "constant" action touted by some soccer fans is mainly centered around 4-6 players while the others jog towards points on the field that will give them an advantage. Very rarely are most players directly involved at any given moment in time. In American football, most players are involved physically during the play and have their jogging time in between plays. I enjoy both, but will watch a college football game over just about anything. I love going to baseball games in person, can only watch about 2 innings on TV.

Back to the real topic, it seems as though we hear about more violent riots/deaths/injuries from fights surrounding soccer matches than baseball games. Is that due to the sheer volume of soccer matches? Don't know, but the fans do seem to be a little more unruly than your typical beat down Cubs fan.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
This was the field where the incident happened, it wasn't exactly a large scale or probably particularly well sanctioned event.

ku-xlarge.jpg

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This was the field where the incident happened, it wasn't exactly a large scale or probably particularly well sanctioned event.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ok yeah, that's not exactly professional soccer then. Wasn't there an incident in the US recently with a ref at a youth type event? That got killed or seriously injured? Maybe I'm just making that up.

Although I would *like* to think if that happened here we wouldn't behead and quarter the person responsible.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

ku-xlarge.jpg

View attachment 20668

This is the soccer field in Port Said, Egypt, where 79 people were killed and over a thousand were injured.

Al-Masry won, 3-1. And as a result, they, YES, the winning team, stormed the field and attacked fans of their opponents.

With knives, swords, clubs, stones, bottles, and fireworks.