Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The problem the players are going to have is they knew they had a brain injury but chose to play. Look at the number of players this year alone that have been knocked out of games and were playing a week later.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The problem the players are going to have is they knew they had a brain injury but chose to play. Look at the number of players this year alone that have been knocked out of games and were playing a week later.

For today's players yes, but they have the benefit of knowing that concussions can cause long term brain issues. The former players suing the NFL were getting a different message, with the league openly denying that there was any correlation. If the league was saying that, and at the same time, basically doing the opposite by paying out disability payments to Mike Webster, it's going to be hard for them to defend.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The thing is I don't think there's anything that you can do, short of massive rule changes, to make the game safe. The best you can do is make sure the players are aware of the consequences, make sure teams are held accountable for how they deal with players that might suffer head trauma, and continue to improve equipment. But the game will always be about hitting the other guy as hard as you can, and sometimes it's going to be in the head.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The thing is I don't think there's anything that you can do, short of massive rule changes, to make the game safe. The best you can do is make sure the players are aware of the consequences, make sure teams are held accountable for how they deal with players that might suffer head trauma, and continue to improve equipment. But the game will always be about hitting the other guy as hard as you can, and sometimes it's going to be in the head.

yeah, I'm not sure what they're planning on doing about it. But, I don't think you're going to see a reversal in the way things have been going. If you're a fan who hates the new "safety" measures, you'd probably better just get used to them.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north

I think the issue is that some of the players that have difficulty are lineman that take many hits to the head during a game and might not have just one big blow.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron