This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The response by the NU player sounds reasonable in its concern for the health of the athletes that generate so much money for the university. Some players (especially football) end up with permanent injuries, some that will limit their work options. And there is some unfairness when the football and basketball players generate so much money for the school and NCAA as well as carry other programs like cross country that so few care about. But with the power and greed of the NCAA backed up by the NFL (who love their minor league system in the universities), I doubt this has much chance of going anywhere.

Except they make it sound like someone showed up at their house, put a gun to their head and forced them to play football for 5 years. They still have a choice to play or not. If they really are that concerned about their health, then don't play.

In the end, the schools are making way too much money off of this stuff. I still say a simple solution to try, would be to set a limit at $50 million to maintain "Not for profit" status. I wonder how many people would be willing to still donate 10 or 11 million dollars when there is no tax right off because you are trying to donate to a school who has a $100 million athletic budget. Probably not the final solution, maybe not even a good one. I think it would do some to curtail the crazy money going on for college sports right now.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
I'm not a big fan of unions but if schools are going to act like corporations with money seeming to be the most important thing then let them be treated like it. I think they should lose their tax exempt status as well.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Let's not blame players or unions for the direction things are going in college sports. Players are not greedy. They just see an injustice, and let's be honest, a college education isn't worth what it once was when you consider how much is being made at the pro level. Case and point: A record number of under class men declared for the draft this year.

Players see schools making so much money it's sickening. But the schools are not driving the demand are they? Sure they are happy to facilitate it, but is there really anything wrong with that? Not really.

The blame lies with us, the fans. Not on purpose, but we are all part if the capitalist system. Demand for college sports is very high. The billion-dollar gaming industry and billion-dollar exclusive TV network deals are examples of how much demand their is.

The fault my friends, lies with us.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I assume you're saying goodbye to a time long ago when that wasn't the case?

No, budgets matter now and have for some time because of travel budget, shiny new buildings or amenities you can show off to recruits on visits. What I meant was, unless there is uniformity on what school A can offer and what school B can offer to the same recruit, the divide between schools will only get wider and wider if one school is allowed to outbid the other.

By outbid, I mean this...You're a low-level 3* recruit considering offers between Ohio and Duke. Ohio has been in on you since 7th grade, but Duke started recruiting you your senior year. Ohio can offer you a scholarship plus $2,000 a semester in stipends. Duke can offer a scholarship and $5,500 in stipends a semester. Which school you choosing?

With the right checks and balances in place, it might work. I just dont see it.

Last edited:

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
If these kids were in it for the health of the players, why only football and basketball players? Volleyball, gymnastics, swimming, soccer, pole vault, wrestling, baseball, etc.; all these can result in participants having life-impacting injuries. Don't pretend that this isn't about money and then purposefully exclude anyone who doesn't have the opportunity to make money at the collegiate level. In fact, if you want these protections,they must be paid for by someone; you football and basketball scholarship athletes better be willing to pay for all these other "non-revenue" athletes' dues.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Don't they sign waivers about injuries? I know I did in high school.

If you truly think this is a threat to your long-term health... nobody is forcing you to play. If you don't think the danger is worth the fun/memories/free tuition/books/glory/potential NFL money (and more injury)... don't do it. Make your own calculations about the benefits and the costs.

Granted, I'd want everybody to have the best information possible about those, but it's not like anybody is forcing them to participate.

Now... *should* the schools be able to offer long-term liability and medical coverage as an incentive to playing... that's another story... Should they?

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I would be curious to know what disability insurance options are available to college players. There does seem to be something out of whack in terms of priorities when you see the ridiculous facilities/uniforms being built in the arms race that is college sports but then there's no way to help the players buy disability insurance or help their parents travel to attend their games.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Considering Northwestern is in Chicago, if this goes thru, the only way to become a northwestern football player will be to 'have a cousin' with connections.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I just don't know how a non-profit organization like the NCAA can afford these things they're asking for...

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
Let's not blame players or unions for the direction things are going in college sports. Players are not greedy. They just see an injustice, and let's be honest, a college education isn't worth what it once was when you consider how much is being made at the pro level. Case and point: A record number of under class men declared for the draft this year.

Players see schools making so much money it's sickening. But the schools are not driving the demand are they? Sure they are happy to facilitate it, but is there really anything wrong with that? Not really.

The blame lies with us, the fans. Not on purpose, but we are all part if the capitalist system. Demand for college sports is very high. The billion-dollar gaming industry and billion-dollar exclusive TV network deals are examples of how much demand their is.

you can't be serious my god boy

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Since it will be a union, I imagine that only skill positions would be able to touch the footballs.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
you can't be serious my god boy

Well, what do you think is driving all this revenue? And really that is what it's all about. There's a lot of money on the table and the players want to be compensated by more than a scholarship and room and board. They want long term medical assurances too. This can be done without unions, but what about all the other athletes in other sports that don't bring revenue?

This is an entitlement society and sports is not immune to it. And we fans contribute to it. We WANT players to feel entitled and we are happy to oblige them. Especially if it means vying for national championships. One need look no further than Oregon's football facility to see this.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, what about the old men at the Y? They could suffer career ending injuries as well.

When the old timers start generating billions in revenue from people wanting to watch them play, buy their gear, etc. you might have something there. Don't you believe in capitalism?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Since when is getting your schooling, housing, tutoring, training and food paid for not enough for people.

I propose that if we are going to pay these athletes, that we charge them for school, charge them for room and board and make it truly fair.

These athletes are acting like they are required to play football for the school. No, it is your choice to play or not to play. No one has a gun to your head. They didn't change the game, you know what you are signing up for.

Really easy to say when you aren't the one taking the health risks and putting in massive amounts of time while getting paid next to nothing for your massive services for a multi-billion dollar a year enterprise.

The idea that a bachelor's degree is equal compensation is a hilarious joke to anyone that is looking at the situation objectively. At one time maybe, but not in this day and age.

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA

Bull crap.

Everyone is greedy deep down (including the players), we all know cash is king, especially in America.

A degree may not be "worth" as much today as it was, but tuition continues to rise so the scholarships are still an incredible value.

The money the schools make is largely invested back into the students and the university.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Bull crap.

Everyone is greedy deep down (including the players), we all know cash is king, especially in America.

A degree may not be "worth" as much today as it was, but tuition continues to rise so the scholarships are still an incredible value.

The money the schools make is largely invested back into the students and the university.
The "value" is completely subjective. For someone who goes 1 or 2 years and leaves for the pros the value is not very high.