This Coming Season Vs. Next Season Vs. Down-The-Road

Buckminster

Nov 10, 2017
We are all excited about the incoming 2020 freshman class and expect good times in the coming years for WBB at Iowa State. Here are my thoughts...

2020-2021
I get a bit nervous about expecting too much from the freshman in their first year of play. But we have returning experience that is very proven in the Big 12 (Joens, Scott, Wise, Johnson, and Espenmiller-McGraw), so we don't need monster seasons from any of the freshman. I would be happy with them providing us with a solid 8 player rotation.

I see two question marks: 1 - Can we get good enough PG play? and 2 - Can we get enough support to help Scott inside?

Playing PG this coming season is made easier with the option to just pass it to Ashley Joens and let her go. But PG play is always critical to a good BB team.

As for inside help, I'm not sure that Morgan Kane is able to compete in the Big 12 against many of the better players. I think it is key that Lindsey Jarosinski is able to match up better inside and provide more offense than Morgan has shown.

2021-2022
Two really great aspects about looking ahead to the next season are that the freshman will be sophomores and that Ashley Joens will be a Senior. The thing that worries me is that we will be so guard oriented and will probably really miss Kristin Scott's scoring and rebounding.

We have two incoming Freshman next season in Izzi Zingaro and Maggie Vick. Both have good high school statistics and Zingaro plays for the Canadian junior national team. If one (or both) pan out...2021-2022 will be fun to watch.

Down the road...
There will be two more seasons with the incoming class being upperclassmen. The thought of that is exciting. I think what turns these from being very good seasons into something very special is (again) the inside players that these teams will have.

Jarosinski and Kane will be Seniors for one of these years and Zingaro / Vick will be experienced players. But I would love to see us sign a really high rated inside talent within the next year that can be something special inside. It seems that most top 10 programs have that kind of inside presence.

Please provide your thoughts...

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
A new year is always exciting. Let's hope for no injuries and that Scott, Johnson and Wise are fully healthy. It will be interesting to see who gets playing time this year, the competition should be fierce.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
As for inside help, I'm not sure that Morgan Kane is able to compete in the Big 12 against many of the better players.

I'm more optimistic about her. I don't expect her to be all-big 12, but I could see her being as important as Nezerwa was. I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do with more regular playing time.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I'm more optimistic about her. I don't expect her to be all-big 12, but I could see her being as important as Nezerwa was. I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do with more regular playing time.
Agree. I see a lot of promise in Kane, if she works hard and is given a chance to show her abilities.