Thinking about buying a PS4

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I haven't owned a system since Xbox. Played quite a bit of PS2 (or PS3?) in college. I would be interested in a new system now....Should I go with the latest Xbox or PS?
What is the difference between PS4 and Pro?
Can you play older games on the new system, I'm specifically asking about NCAA FB and Tiger Woods.
If I can't play those games, what games are out there similar that I could play?
It sounds like the Playstation Vue is a good benefit, but we have a good deal with Mediacom right now.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I haven't owned a system since Xbox. Played quite a bit of PS2 (or PS3?) in college. I would be interested in a new system now....Should I go with the latest Xbox or PS?
Can you play older games on the new system, I'm specifically asking about NCAA FB and Tiger Woods.
If I can't play those games, what games are out there similar that I could play?
It sounds like the Playstation Vue is a good benefit, but we have a good deal with Mediacom right now.

Xbox One has backwards compatibility, but it is not every game and I am not sure if those games are on there. That would be something to look into. If you plan on playing with any friends, the best answer is always whatever system they have. PS4 has some really good exclusives now after a few years, but not sure what types of games you are into.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City

The difference from the PS4 to the PS4 Pro is that the Pro is more powerful and can run in 4K and it also uses HDR. You cannot play old games on the PS4. If you want a golf game try the Rory McIlroy game that came out two or so years ago. Football-wise, Madden 18 (which I enjoy) is pretty much it.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Done. Now stop bragging about how well off you're doing. Help me help you.

@cyrocksmypants - I would be willing to sell you mine if you're interested. I have the console, 2 controllers, a few games - I just never play it (have only played maybe 4-5 hours on it) - I just never had any time and now with a newborn I can't even sleep let alone play. Let me know!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If I don't have a 4k TV, is there any reason get the Pro?
Even without 4K the games will mostly have better framerates and some will have improved graphics/textures on a PS4 Pro compared to an OG PS4.

Styx

Nov 16, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Even without 4K the games will mostly have better framerates and some will have improved graphics/textures on a PS4 Pro compared to an OG PS4.

As someone who is only interested in the new South Park & Lego Marvel games right now, I'm not sure that's enough to justify the price of the Pro.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
If I'm only playing sparsely and not a whole lot of games at one time (at best two at the same time, I usually commit to one game) does it matter if I get the 500gb version? It's 40 bucks cheaper, but how much space do I really need if I'm not much of a gamer?

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If I'm only playing sparsely and not a whole lot of games at one time (at best two at the same time, I usually commit to one game) does it matter if I get the 500gb version? It's 40 bucks cheaper, but how much space do I really need if I'm not much of a gamer?
No there would be no reason to get the bigger one for your situation. PS4's can install games to external USB3 hard drives now too so you could always plug in one of those should you need more space some day. A game like NBA 2K18 probably takes up 50GB or a little more.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
The difference from the PS4 to the PS4 Pro is that the Pro is more powerful and can run in 4K and it also uses HDR. You cannot play old games on the PS4. If you want a golf game try the Rory McIlroy game that came out two or so years ago. Football-wise, Madden 18 (which I enjoy) is pretty much it.

Thanks for the info. Should I wait until there is a newly released XBox or PS? Or is that still a few years out? Are prices for the current XBox/PS going to drop any more or are they as low as they will likely end up?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Bought it aaaaaaand sold out of 2k18. Though the kid that rang me up said you actually get a better frame rate if you download it? I took him for his word because he's like 20 and I'm old.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Bought it aaaaaaand sold out of 2k18. Though the kid that rang me up said you actually get a better frame rate if you download it? I took him for his word because he's like 20 and I'm old.

Downloading rocks. It's nice to have the physical copy, but way easier just to download.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
He's a dumbass, it's the same game whether you get digital or physical. I prefer digital anyways because getting up to change discs is for losers.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Outside possibly getting Vue, I have told myself I would only get a PS (or XBox) if a college football game came out. Although, when MLB The Show came out, I almost went for it. I am still uncomfortable getting it for Vue. I have read that is uses a TON of internet. Number crunching makes it hard to justify.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
He's a dumbass, it's the same game whether you get digital or physical. I prefer digital anyways because getting up to change discs is for losers.

Plus when your kids shove 3 discs in at the same time and break the disc eject, you're gonna need them to be on digital.