Think injuries are an excuse? Check out Missouri

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I like the experience these young guys are getting, but come on man we need a better OC coach. I did see improvement yesterday up front on offense.

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
I wouldn't even bother explaining yourself. Far too many people around here of the thinking that sharing even the most logical reasons behind why we might be struggling is excuse making. Far too many "If you're not first, you're last" midsets around here, where there is no reason acceptable for losing, much less an excuse.

Tied for last I do consider last. Sorry if that's a stretch for some.

It's not the losing games aspect (save FCS losses), as an ISU fan I can handle losing - it's the way we look when doing so that is unacceptable. I can stomach a 2-10 rebuild season if we coach smart and put up a respectable fight in the majority of the losses. This season isn't close to that and I know it hurts to hear but it has little to do with injuries.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
injuries or no.....Mizzou sat on the ball with like two timeouts and 30 seconds or so on thier 35 yard line. I think they had two timeouts and the Gamecocks might have had one or zero. They didn't even try. They just ran out the clock to play overtime while the fans were booing. Say what you want about fans in general....but they knew more about football in that instance than Pinkel. McCarney ball for sure. Hell, chunk up a hail mary. Pass interference or a catch wins that game for you with a long field goal. worst case you get a 40 yard interception which is just like a punt. Pinkel sucks. Cowardly coaching sucks. CPR generally plays for every second which I enjoy over McCarney ball.

Ummmm ... you sure about that, boss?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This is so hypocritical. What makes you think that deep down ISU fans are any different than Missouri fans? Flip-flop the two programs, everything from their recent success to their ability to leave the Big 12, and ISU fans are probably just as annoying as Missouri fans are. The fact that you say "MU fans will be what they will be" means you completely have your cardinal shades on if you believe that ISU fans can't and won't be just as annoying.

I don't deny that ISU has annoying fans.

The issue under discussion was MU fans calling for Pinkel's head during the first 5-6 years of his tenure. In the 17 years prior to Gary Pinkel, MU had 2 winning seasons (7-5 in 1997 and 8-4 1998), and their record was 63-122-5 (if I tallied right) for a 0.332 winning %. Jim Walden beat MU 5 out of 7 times. IMO, it does not seem reasonable for MU fans to call for Pinkel's head during the first five years of his tenure, since he had as many winning seasons during those first five years (8-5 in 2003 (year 3) and 7-5 in 2005 (year 6)) as MU had in the prior 17 years, and his record was 29-30. Pinkel's year six was even better (8-5).

I'm not really sure why you are talking about MU's recent success and move to the SEC, as it's not relevant to the point that was being discussed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_football

Last edited:

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
It is true the MU fans were calling for Pinkel's head, but MU fans will be what they will be. I would suggest if ISU had pulled off an 8-win season in year 3 or year 4, there would be much, much less negativity this year. 8 wins, and perhaps even 9-wins were in reach last year, if not for the perrenially terrible offense. The opportunity was there, and it was blown.

One thing about the sky is falling crowd. You will always find something to be miserable about.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Pinkel had Dave Christensen and David Yost, who were pivotal in establishing Missouri's offense (which began their 'spread' in around 2004 or 2005) as OC & QB-coach, respectively, up until 2012. Right now we have Messingham covering those 2 spots.

Yost left after 2012 due to 'burnout' (later went to Wash St to take position as an inside-receivers coach for Leach), and Mizzou is having the year they are having this year with 1st-year OC, Josh Henson. Henson was hired as an OL-coach in 2008 after Christensen left to become the HC at Wyoming. He played in college at Okie St, coached there (eventually becoming their recruiting coordinator) and prior to that was an assistant coach at LSU who also was heavily involved with recruiting.

Call me crazy, but I see a fairly large difference when comparing the assistant coaches in the mix.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Pinkel had Dave Christensen and David Yost, who were pivotal in establishing Missouri's offense (which began their 'spread' in around 2004 or 2005) as OC & QB-coach, respectively, up until 2012. Right now we have Messingham covering those 2 spots.

Yost left after 2012 due to 'burnout' (later went to Wash St to take position as an inside-receivers coach for Leach), and Mizzou is having the year they are having this year with 1st-year OC, Josh Henson. Henson was hired as an OL-coach in 2008 after Christensen left to become the HC at Wyoming. He played in college at Okie St, coached there (eventually becoming their recruiting coordinator) and prior to that was an assistant coach at LSU who also was heavily involved with recruiting.

Call me crazy, but I see a fairly large difference when comparing the assistant coaches in the mix.

I never mentioned assistant coaches in my comparison. People are looking way to much into this. Here is as simple as I can make it.

The previous 6 years prior to 2012, Missouri averaged just under 10 wins per season (9.5 wins per season). Last year they only won 5 games. This year they will win 10 again. What was the difference in 2012? Youth compounded with injuries.

Now Iowa State has won 6 games on average under Paul Rhoads. This year we are going to win 1-3 (I think 3 games still). What is the difference this year? See above.

I'm not comparing programs, coaches, or anything like that. Just situations of having a team perform at a consistent mark and than drop off a lot by their typical standards under that coach.