Things we need

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
VA had that one guy who hit a huge shot towards the end of regulation. I forget his name, but you're right. He's a clutch guy and it just seemed like it was going in no matter what Tech threw at him.
So shoot big shots and make them in important situations = Clutch
Shoot big shots and miss them in important situations = Hero Ball?

Reactions: Doc

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
We need Lewis to take a Thomas-like jump going into this year. Be that sniper we've lacked.
TH/Jackson
Lewis/Leech
Prentess
Solo/MJ/Zion
Condit/Anderson

Zion hopefully takes a big jump, and Leech is ready to contribute big minutes

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This TTech love fest needs to stop. We beat them at their place and damn near beat them in Ames. They are a very good team but people need to quit acting like they kicked the **** out of us twice this year.
They got hot in the tourney and turned it up on defense. The biggest thing is they played together as a team which when we did that we could beat anyone. We had some guys who didn’t always buy into things and became very reliant on the 3 and ole defense.
TTech would have beat Ohio State by 25. At least.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
You don’t know that. I thought Houston was going to roll them and they didn’t. They would have been in a rock fight with OSU.
You dismissed Tech's success by claiming "they got hot" in the NCAA's. What BS. They were the Big 12's best team.
From the day practice starts in the fall, every team points to the NCAA tourney. It's the proving ground. Time for teams to step up and prove themselves. Tech did. We did not. To attempt to equate the two programs is ridiculous.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
You dismissed Tech's success by claiming "they got hot" in the NCAA's. What BS. They were the Big 12's best team.
From the day practice starts in the fall, every team points to the NCAA tourney. It's the proving ground. Time for teams to step up and prove themselves. Tech did. We did not. To attempt to equate the two programs is ridiculous.

Did you miss when I said they were very good? Did you have them in the finals in your pool? Just curious? They got hot in the tournament how do you deny it? My point was they weren’t much better when we played them. A lot of people are sucking their dicks on here and act like their program is light years ahead of ours which it’s not, at least it hasn’t been on the court head to head.

So settle down

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Don't totally agree with this just because even if a team if flying high into the tournament, or look great in one or two rounds doesn't mean it will continue that way.

But Tech's consistency and established roles was something ISU didn't have and was the difference in the tourney regardless of head to head.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
All that being said we **** the bed in the tournament there is no denying that

Issue is ISU's loss in the tourney looked like at least half of their losses on the season: come out looking out of sync, back and forth all game but never really looking all that great, get up with roughly 3 minutes left, and have multiple bad possessions on both ends late to lose.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I am a cool aid drinker and think we can have an NCAA team next year. But that is only possible if the players and staff take the stance that the 2019/20 season started "yesterday".

Player develop will be key because very few players are close to finished products/close to reaching their potential. Jacobson might be the most finished product and he can still take his game to another level. Halliburton has a huge upside, so how many levels can he lift his game during the off season. Lewis, Conditt and Griffin also have huge upside.

The staff is in the same boat. How can the staff develop a culture of toughness, strong defense and control the boards. How do they get more consistency. IMO when a team goes a couple possessions their has to be a focus to getting high % shots. Too many times last year (and this goes back to the Hoiberg years), when we had scoring droughts players tended to take shots they could make vs. shots they would make. That's a tough balance because as a coach- you like confident shooters.

• Winner
Reactions: Baseline23

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Did you miss when I said they were very good? Did you have them in the finals in your pool? Just curious? They got hot in the tournament how do you deny it? My point was they weren’t much better when we played them. A lot of people are sucking their dicks on here and act like their program is light years ahead of ours which it’s not, at least it hasn’t been on the court head to head.

So settle down
This is a dismissive comment, as if "magically" their shots starting going in or they were riding some "wave." I just think that's BS.
Tech upped their game when it really counted, and worked even harder, especially on defense, as all the teams who advanced did.
We treated our game against OSU like it was at the Maui Classic.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I think if you haven't yet already, listen to the CW podcast with Prohm.

I like prohm, he's a good guy, a good recruiter and has won a lot of games so far.

But this is not a coach that is going to change much, if at all. That's ok.

We can be good/decent some years, but I don't think we'll make that big jump to a final four. (Although the JP comments about Bo ryan strategy were interesting...)

CW asked Prohm about 2 bigs, pressing, defense etc. and Prohm pretty much gave non-answer answers. I think a surprise line up, a switch to a trap defense, a press, zone defense whatever would be great, but Prohm isn't that kind of guy. I mean we can barely inbound the ball in the half court.

Our defense in the tourney and many times during the year was horrendous. You know why Ttech and UVA play great team defense?? Because they also play great individual D - I think half of CF could pump fake and drive around LW. We're playing for our tourney lives vs OSU and Babb still had his slow closeouts, we got confused on simple screens, and THT got beat down the court at least twice. And then Prohm says "hey if Babb makes that 3 at the end..." which completely ignores just horrendous play from Babb, Jake, THT, etc. I can't believe how patient Prohm is given those defensive breakdowns - Tony Bennett would've benched some of our guys for a week!

All of the UVA/TTech comparisons are fine, but that's some serious recency bias. Mooney played the tourney of his life - he'd only made about 40 3's at mid 30s% at the end of the regular season and we had 5 guys do that!

Beard had an amazing year, but he really had to thread the needle with transfers, grad transfers, Odiase getting a 5th yr from injury, and a lottery pick from Lubbock doesn't hurt. Congrats to Beard but I don't see him putting that together every year - it isn't that easy.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
This TTech love fest needs to stop. We beat them at their place and damn near beat them in Ames. They are a very good team but people need to quit acting like they kicked the **** out of us twice this year.
They got hot in the tourney and turned it up on defense. The biggest thing is they played together as a team which when we did that we could beat anyone. We had some guys who didn’t always buy into things and became very reliant on the 3 and ole defense.
I for one am not writing off next year. The guys we have seem to be team guys and defensive guys. They also seemingly play hard. It would be nice to land a grad transfer wing that is built like Culver and can potentially guard 4 positions.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Per what I wrote in Gen. Dis > Offseason Mind Games: Bereft of players who believe they will be in the NBA sooner rather than later, the 2019 Cyclone basketball team struggles some during the nonconference portion, but they figure out how they must play effectively as a team and they finish the conference portion with 9 or 10 wins.

Prohm prefers to play spread and fast. If we get a guy like OSU's Wesson, Hilton will turn from Magic to Tragic in a short time.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Hauser bros from Marquette. They were ISU recruits back in the day. We've done well with Marquette guys, come on over!

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines

So settle down

They end Big12 regular season on 9 game win streak against many tournament teams so it was more than just getting hot in the tourney where they destroyed the 2 best of big 10 & Gonzaga.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron