Things to do in Quad Cities

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Four things I miss from Eastern Iowa - having lived there all but the last 5 months - and the 4 1/3 years in Ames:

1. Dwyer & Michaels
2. Whitey's turtle sundaes
3. Rudy's Cheese and Onion Enchiladas (Pure unadulterated artery clogging slimey good/evil!)
4. Kitchen Cooked potato chips

Of course I can listen to D&M online so there's a work-a-round there.

I absolutely love Rudy's.

clone11

Jul 12, 2006
Things to do in the Quad Cities:

-Meth and/or the production of
-Scrap things
-Contract something that would puzzle most PHD's from any of the fine gentleman's clubs in the area
-Say to yourself "I've now been to the armpit of america". take a picture to show off to your friends of yourself in said armpit
-Get stabbed
-Drink malt liquor/assimilate
-Get yourself a title loan
-Meet a real life bail bondsman
-Watch things float by in the river/potentially discover a body
-Drink more malt liquor

Few of these had me crying laughing so hard. Scrap things is so perfect.

TallKidIsTall

Mar 4, 2012
Fairfield
I can't believe Happy Joe's slipped my mind. Short of any mom and pop pizzeria on Long Island, NY or your Chicago-style pizzeria of choice (I like Giordano's), or even Harris Pizza in the Quad Cities (or one of it's clones), Happy Joe's is right up there.

And you're right - Joe's Taco Pizza is God's gift to man. It's pricey, but oh so worth it. One of the best leftover pizzas straight out of the fridge as well.

no mention alfanos in rock island?

plus if you go to alfanos you'll get a tour thru some of rock islands finest areas :jimlad:

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
I absolutely love Rudy's.

I've eaten at the Rudy's way out in West Davenport a couple of times and thought it was tasty, but I recently was at the one in Waterloo and LOVED it. They have this whole "Local/Fresh" thing going on and a bit different menu. Wish there was one closer to where I live!

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Harris Pizza is one of the few things I miss about QC, my absolute fav. pizza joint is Benny's in Milan, out of the way but worth it. +1000 on the Belgium Village (7 years later & still haven't found a better Rueben) and Bier Stubbe.

ontheverge

Sep 14, 2009
Been awhile since I've been there, but i always loved the Circle Tap and Coach Fennely's family owned it. Great place.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
I called up my friend Leroy on the phone
I said Buddy, I'm afraid to be alone
'Cuz I've got some weird ideas in my head
'bout things to do in the Quad Cities when you're dead.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o33--xgYFQY]Warren Zevon - Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead - Rochester, 1994. - YouTube[/ame]

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Blasphemy!!!!! Next thing your gonna tell me is I can't walk across the street and get a magic mountain.

If you're referring to Ross', yeah, that's still there and you can still get a magic mountain. Actually, when President Obama visited Alcoa last year (or the year before, I don't remember), he stopped at Ross' and got a magic mountain. The big joke is everyone else on Air Force One flew back to Washington commercially that evening...

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
cavorting ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBLgtKVwptA]Johnny Cash - Big River - YouTube[/ame]

Johnny Cash - Big River

Now I taught the weeping willow how to cry
And I showed the clouds how to cover up a clear blue sky
And the tears that I cried for that woman are gonna flood you Big River
Then I'm gonna sit right here until I die

I met her accidentally in St. Paul, Minnesota
And it tore me up every time I heard her drawl, Southern drawl.
Then I heard my dream was back downstream Cavortin' in Davenport
And I followed you, Big River, when you called

Then you took me to St. Louis later on down the river
A freighter said she's been here but she's gone, boy, she's gone
I found her trail in Memphis but she just walked up the block
Raised a few eyebrows and then she went on down alone

Now, won't you batter down by Baton Rouge, River Queen, roll it on
Take that woman on down to New Orleans, New Orleans
Go on, I've had enough, dump my blues down in the gulf
She loves you, Big River, more than me

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Front Street In Davenport
Harris Pizza
Village of East Davenport
Riverfront bike trail at sunset
Skybridge at Night

Reactions: Clone83

Payne

Mar 25, 2012
I like Harris pizza, but it is overrated. Same for Happy Joe's. You may hear a lot about Whitey's Ice Cream, but I think it's overrated, too. Country Style Ice Cream is where it's at! It's not nearly as popular as Whitey's for some reason, but its soft serve ice cream is out of this world.

With regards to shopping malls, it's pretty pathetic here. Both NorthPark in Davenport and SouthPark in Moline are lame.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I like Harris pizza, but it is overrated. Same for Happy Joe's. You may hear a lot about Whitey's Ice Cream, but I think it's overrated, too. Country Style Ice Cream is where it's at! It's not nearly as popular as Whitey's for some reason, but its soft serve ice cream is out of this world.

With regards to shopping malls, it's pretty pathetic here. Both NorthPark in Davenport and SouthPark in Moline are lame.

Soft serve ice cream, by definition, is ******. It's a poor substitute for the real thing.