Things to do in KC

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There's an interactive exhibit in Shawnee where you can experience the thrills of staining a deck. I have a 100% off coupon. I can pm you the address if interested.

Does the Shawnee experience include preparing the deck for staining? Don’t forget the stripper!

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Have you ever been to Top Golf?

Full wait staff with bar and food, plus the games you can play against each other are fun as hell. It’s a whole different vibe for a weekend getaway than playing a course.

Lame.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
WWI Museum is amazing. Taking a stroll through Union Station is fun if you're the walking type.

The WWI museum has (free) archives in the basement. If you give them the name of anyone who served in WWI they can give you some of their service records. On my Grandfather I got the dates he was enlisted, unit number, where he trained and was shipped to. They even had the names of the ships that he traveled on to and from France.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The WWI museum has (free) archives in the basement. If you give them the name of anyone who served in WWI they can give you some of their service records. On my Grandfather I got the dates he was enlisted, unit number, where he trained and was shipped to. They even had the names of the ships that he traveled on to and from France.

I lived here a lot of years before going to the museum. It was a gross oversight on my part. My wife asked the people working there how long it usually took someone to get through it, and we were told roughly 2 hours.

We were there 4 hours and I still had a lot to see. It is really well done.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Any hotel recommendations?
If you're looking at downtown there's a Courtyard Marriot on 16th and Baltimore that's usually reasonable, walking distance to P&L and the Crossroads district which will eat up an entire Friday afternoon if you wander around First Fridays

There's also a Hampton Inn a block from that at 16th and Main that was just built a couple years back.

If you stay at either of those Tanin Wine Bar and Tom's Town Distilling are both cool places within a block to grab a drink.

Also within walking distance, Temptations and Bazookas. Man, I miss living downtown...

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Any hotel recommendations?

Depends what you want to spend. The Loews is the nice new hotel downtown that just opened during COVID. It also has a great sports bar downstairs and a "rooftop" bar with greenspace that is fun.

The Courtyard and Hampton mentioned are nice and pretty much like what you would expect.

The Hotel Phillips and Marriott are older buildings and can be had for cheaper sometimes while still being nice.

Haven't been inside yet, but Hotel Kansas City (Hyatt) just opened also and is supposed to be really nice and have a great restaurant/bar.

Downtown KC is very walkable and has the streetcar that you can hop on and off of for free so I wouldn't worry too much about the area if you are downtown. None of the ones downtown I can think of are in bad areas either.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Almost 15 hours and no recommendation for hookers and blow?
I must say I'm a little disappointed in CF today

I think the OP said something about a family vacation, now if it would have been a couples wkend no reason to take hookers and blow off the table.