Things have actually been nice not playing Iowa this year..

Cancel Iowa game forever?!

• Yes

• No

• I don’t care either way

Results are only viewable after voting.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
This is where I'm at too. Honestly, the only people I know that really miss the old Big 8 schools are boomers. That's a generation of folks who have a tough time with change.
I don't miss the Big 8 teams per se, I just don't blame Missouri and CU for the mess like I do Nebraska and Texas. OU was at fault too, but they stuck around and still make the conference better.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Rivalries are what makes sports fun. At every level of play in every single sport, there are rivalries. I get the fact that Iowa State and Iowa aren't in the same conference so the game feels "meaningless" from that perspective, but there are numerous schools who have huge rivals with a school in a different conference. South Carolina vs. Clemson, Kentucky vs. Louisville, Georgia vs. Georgia Tech, etc. These games have historic roots that shouldn't be thrown away because one of the fan bases are "insufferable".

And, to tell you the truth, the Iowa fans that are insufferable are the minority imo. I know so many great people that are Iowa fans that are no different than any other fan in that they talk s*** from time to time, but are terrific individuals who are only doing so in good fun. I do the same thing. I have friends and family who are fans of other schools such as K-State, Kansas, Florida, and Mississippi and they say the EXACT SAME THING about their rivals. I can guarantee you that every single fan base thinks their rival's fanbase are the absolute worst. We are not the only ones who have to deal with annoying Twitter and Facebook arguments or an occasional person giving you crap for wearing a shirt when you're out and about. That's what makes sports exciting! I do not want to live in a world where every school is nice to one another and "wishing you the best of luck" on your season/game.

Also, people have literally gotten put into the hospital and even killed due to altercations involving rivalries. Look up some stories about Yankees and Red Sox fans, or Duke and UNC fans, or Auburn vs. Alabama fans.. Just two three years ago, a Bama fan was arrested for shooting an Auburn fan over an argument about the Iron Bowl. THAT is taking it too far and is immensely worse than HAWKFAN210245 on Twitter making a joke about Stanzi having as many bowl wins as us.

You did not even bring up Ohio State and Michigan.

That is probably the most militarized college sports rivalry that I know.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't miss the Big 8 teams per se, I just don't blame Missouri and CU for the mess like I do Nebraska and Texas. OU was at fault too, but they stuck around and still make the conference better.

Those two were not the troublemakers during the life of the conference that Nebraska and Texas' were with their selfishness, but they stabbed us in the back just as much as the Huskers ended up doing.

Colorado had wanted to go to the Pac-12 for a long time, and Missouri had been looking for a way out ("showing leg") to the Big Ten for a long time before that. Kind of odd they ended up in the SEC instead.

They do not deserve much sympathy or an unreasonable level of nostalgia.

Reactions: CyBobby

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You did not even bring up Ohio State and Michigan.

That is probably the most militarized college sports rivalry that I know.
I can't believe I left them off that list. Brain fart on my part! But yes, those fan bases are nuts towards one another. Iowa fans make fun of Iowa State for the TEO thing, but when it's game week for the OSU-Michigan game, Ohio State doesn't use the letter "M" in anything. Not just the athletics department either. The University itself uses something different. Even the Ohio Governor in 2013 would make sure the letter M was in red when using it.

The point to all of this is that sports and rivalries are tribalistic, crazy, but awesome. I've seen grown men fight in a bar over the MJ vs. LeBron debate. It's mesmerizing how stupid we are when it comes to sports, but there's beauty in it.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I like the rivalry and would like to see the game every year. We're going to get our fair share of wins and soon. The downside of that is that what takes the rivalry into unbearable territory. Hawkeye fans believe that Iowa State fans are not allowed to display pride or take joy in winning any game. When we do, they consider us obnoxious. What they don't realize is that ISU fans have had to deal with their obnoxiousness for our entire lives. They've never experienced resistance to their majority. Simply representing our team in public with license plates (gasp!) is an affront to their superiority.

Most Iowa fans are good people who can get caught up in dumb rivalry BS, just like ISU fans. What I can't stomach is the condescending attitude about our school, town, and fans from Iowa fans who've never set foot in Iowa City. College athletics is great for a lot of reasons, but for me, it's the traditions, pageantry, and camaraderie that comes with the university and community. That's not to say you can't be a fan if you didn't go to school in Ames/IC. It's just that the loudmouths usually have zero understanding of that side of the sport and treat it like it's pro sports or WWE. For many of us, it's about much more than just the game on Saturday.

Thank you for allowing me my weekly venting session on why I can't stand some Hawkeye fans and hope they never win another football or basketball game while I'm alive.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Those two were not the troublemakers during the life of the conference that Nebraska and Texas' were with their selfishness, but they stabbed us in the back just as much as the Huskers ended up doing.

Colorado had wanted to go to the Pac-12 for a long time, and Missouri had been looking for a way out ("showing leg") to the Big Ten for a long time before that. Kind of odd they ended up in the SEC instead.

They do not deserve much sympathy or an unreasonable level of nostalgia.
Had we received an offer to join the BIG do you think we'd have stayed put? I'm not going to blame them for doing what they thought was best for their program. But they didn't start publicly looking around until after Nebraska, Texas and OU started ******* around.

Anyway, I'd be just as happy to see us play any mid-level P5 team - not just CU or Missouri. Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Arkansas are all "close" and would be fun to play. I wouldn't shy away from Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Michigan or Michigan State either, but we don't need the SOS boost. Even Tennessee, Kentucky and Vanderbilt aren't too far for visiting fans to drive.

You're telling me you'd rather play Iowa again than ANY of those teams? And it's not like we will schedule Iowa AND one of those teams, because we need two tune-up games before getting into conference play.

Also, sorry to hear you're from Boone - that can't be easy. ;)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Had we received an offer to join the BIG do you think we'd have stayed put? I'm not going to blame them for doing what they thought was best for their program. But they didn't start publicly looking around until after Nebraska, Texas and OU started ******* around.

I would love for Scarlett Johansson to ask me out. My wife would probably even say "go for it."

But that had about as much chance of happening as the Big Ten inviting us to join.

Something so unlikely is not even worth thinking about.

They bailed for their own selfish (if understandable) purposes. I don't see why we need to miss them. Good for them to land on their feet after leaving us, but I do not see why we need to break up our greatest rivalry game just so we can play some ex-Big Eight schools that most of us do not even pay attention to anymore.

Make MO play KU and A&M play UT, if you want to restore some old conference rivalries.

Anyway, I'd be just as happy to see us play any mid-level P5 team - not just CU or Missouri. Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Arkansas are all "close" and would be fun to play. I wouldn't shy away from Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Michigan or Michigan State either, but we don't need the SOS boost. Even Tennessee, Kentucky and Vanderbilt aren't too far for visiting fans to drive.

None of those teams, with the exception of the "don't need the SOS more than we need the L" blue-bloods, would ever be half as interesting of a matchup for the vast majority of the fanbase as would be Iowa.

People on here are by definition weird super-fans, often not only of Iowa State but of college football generally. I can see why college football "nerds" would enjoy seeing a variety of matchups and opportunities to travel to numerous new cities and campus locations, but most fans do not care. Most fans are casual.

And those fans want and show up for Iowa. They won't for anybody on your list save maybe the blue-bloods, but I doubt Campell wants us to become a guarantee/buy game for Ohio State or LSU.

You're telling me you'd rather play Iowa again than ANY of those teams? And it's not like we will schedule Iowa AND one of those teams, because we need two tune-up games before getting into conference play.

I would, and the vast majority of the fanbase would. You might not like that, but it is true.

Also, sorry to hear you're from Boone - that can't be easy. ;)

Doing just fine, thank you. :)

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I would love for Scarlett Johansson to ask me out. My wife would probably even say "go for it."

But that had about as much chance of happening as the Big Ten inviting us to join.

Something so unlikely is not even worth thinking about.

They bailed for their own selfish (if understandable) purposes. I don't see why we need to miss them. Good for them to land on their feet after leaving us, but I do not see why we need to break up our greatest rivalry game just so we can play some ex-Big Eight schools that most of us do not even pay attention to anymore.

Make MO play KU and A&M play UT, if you want to restore some old conference rivalries.

None of those teams, with the exception of the "don't need the SOS more than we need the L" blue-bloods, would ever be half as interesting of a matchup for the vast majority of the fanbase as would be Iowa.

People on here are by definition weird super-fans, often not only of Iowa State but of college football generally. I can see why college football "nerds" would enjoy seeing a variety of matchups and opportunities to travel to numerous new cities and campus locations, but most fans do not care. Most fans are casual.

And those fans want and show up for Iowa. They won't for anybody on your list save maybe the blue-bloods, but I doubt Campell wants us to become a guarantee/buy game for Ohio State or LSU.

I would, and the vast majority of the fanbase would. You might not like that, but it is true.

Doing just fine, thank you. :)
Just for the record Mizzou wanted to keep playing Kansas but KU said NO AND THEN SAID HELL NO!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Just for the record Mizzou wanted to keep playing Kansas but KU said NO AND THEN SAID HELL NO!

Good policy. If they wanted to keep playing their Kansas rivals, they could have stayed in the conference.

Enjoy your "rivalry" games with Vanderbilt and South Carolina, Tigers.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I wonder since Bowl Games are a crapshoot this year, if we don’t make a bowl that is associated to ISU if a Bowl would look to make ISU v Iowa.

Part of me thinks that would be a huge mistake this year. The bowls are going to lean heavily on the TV revenue so they would be crazy to put together an all Iowa bowl game IMO.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Part of me thinks that would be a huge mistake this year. The bowls are going to lean heavily on the TV revenue so they would be crazy to put together an all Iowa bowl game IMO.

I get what you're saying, but there could be some counters that would make this attractive. the selecting The Bowl Committee would be drooling because of an obvious ticket sell-out.

As far as TV, I really like watching good rivalry games, even the obscure ones (Army-Navy; Harvard-Yale). If we are ranked and possibly Iowa ranked at the time of the game, that could pull in tv audience, plus the fact a lot of Iowans live out of state.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Iowa fans are more tolerable this year since they haven't played any football yet. When they start playing, even on a schedule without ISU, they'll be back to their loud, arrogant, ignorant personas.
d66a3e867580854200fa37f08e8addaa.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron