Then and now: What is the difference?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I work in Cedar Falls and that fanbase really believes that they are a FCS team. To hear them talk they are on par with Iowa and ISU. I'll give them that they have a good team for their level and everyonce in a while they could beat Iowa or ISU but there is no way they'd be able to do it on a week in and week out basis.

Well, to be fair, they are an FCS team. :biglaugh:

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
THIS. I'm not sure everybody understands this.

I understand it! Pollard is SO good at his job. Had the honor of meeting and talking at length with him a few years back, and he's definitely glad that the President lets him do his own thing. Glad to see Leath letting that continue. ISU is really on the up-and-up in sports AND academics which does my heart good.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I understand it! Pollard is SO good at his job. Had the honor of meeting and talking at length with him a few years back, and he's definitely glad that the President lets him do his own thing. Glad to see Leath letting that continue. ISU is really on the up-and-up in sports AND academics which does my heart good.
So are you all saying Pollard would be doing all this even if the money wasn't there? I don't think so. I would not trade him for any AD in America but I haven't read anything to convince me yet that mo' money isn't the biggest factor.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
TV dollars help but support from the administration is the key. Pollard was given a very long leash by President Geoffroy that continues under Leath.

Geoffrey was probably smart enough to see a correlation between successful sports programs and donations.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I think the difference back then was a bit of a perfect storm. We were competing against unlimited resources in the old Big 8 days, (NU, CU, OU all had scholarships for more than 100 players). Then the scholarship limitations created what we see today, parity. The problem is that our admin at the time didn't want to take advantage of the parity that was being created. So, you don't get the facilities, you don't get the players, you don't get the coaches. We would've been better off being in a smaller league at the time I believe. Winning creates the support without the admin. All while the cross-state rivals hired a great head coach.

Jishke started to understand and Geoffrey got it and found the right AD for our situation. BVD was good for the bottom line, but terrible for raising funds and making good coaching decisions. Gene was great for fundraising, and hiring coaches, but not a great accountant. Now we have the AD that is great at all three major facets.

With parity and the admin that we have, I can't imagine that we will fall too far in the future. My guess is that we learned our lessons the hard way.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
So are you all saying Pollard would be doing all this even if the money wasn't there? I don't think so. I would not trade him for any AD in America but I haven't read anything to convince me yet that mo' money isn't the biggest factor.

I think you could argue that Pollard is the reason ISU athletics is taking in mo' money.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

It is, but without institutional support a guy like Jamie would not have come here in the first place. And other than the TV contracts, you can trace nearly every dime in new money we have to things he has done. He ruffled a TON of feathers when he got here...mostly with the rank and file in the athletic department. No longer could those people cruise in a comfy government job piling up IPERS. He demanded more effort and productivity out of them, and he held them accountable. It was sleepyville before he got here. He challenged the fan base to quit being cheap skates and pony up because that was what it was going to take to be nationally competitive. He jacked up parking prices, etc. trying to find a dime anywhere he could.

So yes, it is the money, but Jamie raised that money and did so with a supportive administration.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
While administrative support is very important, the money is the thing keeping us in the game. If we didn't have money Pollard would be gone by now. ala Gene Smith, he left for greener pastures, and by greener I mean money greener, he and Martin Jischke should get at least some credit for getting ISU on the right path. Vandervelde was horrible and that started our backslide. Luckily we got Pollard, and we are back on track to where we were going in the late 90s early 00s.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
While administrative support is very important, the money is the thing keeping us in the game. If we didn't have money Pollard would be gone by now. ala Gene Smith, he left for greener pastures, and by greener I mean money greener, he and Martin Jischke should get at least some credit for getting ISU on the right path. Vandervelde was horrible and that started our backslide. Luckily we got Pollard, and we are back on track to where we were going in the late 90s early 00s.

Seems like under Van De Velde, we got the indoor and outdoor practice facilities, the biggest step forward for football since the new stadium. We also went to 5 straight bowls, beat Iowa 5 straight, won our only two conference regular season basketball titles and had our highest NCAA finish in basketball. All that in about 5 or 6 years. I'd take that again.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Seems like under Van De Velde, we got the indoor and outdoor practice facilities, the biggest step forward for football since the new stadium. We also went to 5 straight bowls, beat Iowa 5 straight, won our only two conference regular season basketball titles and had our highest NCAA finish in basketball. All that in about 5 or 6 years. I'd take that again.
Huh?

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Coaching! And we have a good coachig staff. And coaching. Did I mention Paul Rhoads is a heads and shoulders better head coach than Walden, Chizz, and Mac.

Agree on all but Mac. Now I'm not a big Mac supporter and I used to think CPR was a smarter Mac but I'm not sure anymore.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

Is Bruce back?

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Agree on all but Mac. Now I'm not a big Mac supporter and I used to think CPR was a smarter Mac but I'm not sure anymore.

I always thought that if CPR had Mac's 2005 team, they would have went 9-3 at worst. But after 2012, I really started to doubt that...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I have been thinking about this recently. It seems like the days of ISU being a doormat are long gone. I feel very strongly we will always put a competitive team on the field and the cloud that was the 80's and 90's will never return.

This begs the question, what is the difference between then and now? The only answer I can come up with is money. Back then, our facilities were rivaled by some high schools. The Cyclones rarely played on TV. There was unequal revenue sharing. Then came the Big XII, facilities improvements, TV, and dollars.

I think some of our in-state rivals don't understand what the difference is. They probably think we got lucky, got a couple decent coaches, but we'll eventually get put back in our place. The thing is, that place doesn't exist anymore.

Thoughts?

Other than the fact we've never won in conference, just got shellacked by NDSU, and we watched what some folks said were toss-up games with OSU and WVU showing up BIG - I think we still ARE the doormat but our doormat is of a higher quality now.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Is Bruce back?

Obviously not, just pointing out to some that dumping on Bruce isn't the way to try to build up JP. I've got some great memories of the teams while BVD was here, and he also won an award for national A.D. of the year, so he wasn't the buffoon some want to try to make him out to be. And as far as DMac, we went to 5 straight bowls and beat Iowa 5 straight while he was here, so I'm not going to dump on Mac either.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Obviously not, just pointing out to some that dumping on Bruce isn't the way to try to build up JP. I've got some great memories of the teams while BVD was here, and he also won an award for national A.D. of the year, so he wasn't the buffoon some want to try to make him out to be. And as far as DMac, we went to 5 straight bowls and beat Iowa 5 straight while he was here, so I'm not going to dump on Mac either.

For the second time in this thread, he did not go to 5 straight bowls.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron