The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you like documentaries and no kids are in the house I'd recommend this. It's an eye opener in many ways.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
A little "color" on this documentary would be helpful. No pun intended, I just have no clue what it is about.

b3r3m

Feb 1, 2007
It's a documentary about this really rough family in West Virginia. Cameras follow them around for a year I think. It's really hard to believe at times. I thought it was pretty good. Johnny Knoxville was an exective producer on the documentary

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
It is unreal awesome. You will go to bed feeling better about yourself.

It is very good. For those that are not familiar with the story, the White's are a family, not a race. They have a family tree that nearly only has one branch. It basically started with D Ray (mountain dancing legend, small acting rolls), and Bertie Mae (I suspect may have been psychopathic). D Ray died pretty young, gave his dancing shoes to Jesco White, his son.

The family probably suffers from inbreeding at some point along the way, in addition to low IQ's, limited education, and chronic substance abuse. Think if the small towns in Iowa that many are from, were buried in hills and forest, and had little or no influence from educators, or law enforcement.

It's pretty interesting, because they interview the 'normal' people in the area and aside from being scarred of them, they can't figure out how they survive. They say that none of them work, nor pretty much have ever worked, yet they always seem to have money.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
My guess is all their money comes from collecting disability (which they all admit) and selling drugs. I also wouldnt be surprised if Jesco made a good chunk with his dancing.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
The only down side of this film was seeing how these young kids never have a chance at a productive life.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ysuG2O0zw]YouTube - Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia Trailer[/ame]

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
One of the town folk said it best when he explained they had a kid in town that was just excepted to M.I.T., the documentary would have been much better off focusing on him instead of the Whites. It's a pretty sad story about a very sad family. The kids in that family really have no chance in life.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
Reactions: jj-cyclones

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
When I hiked the Appalachian Trail I was scared for my life hiking through West Virginia in the mountains with just me and my cousin. Luckily we made it out unscathed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron