The Wheel of Time

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Watched all 3. Enjoying it for the most part. Understand and I am ok with most of the book changes except Perrin doesn't feel right. Not sure I'm liking his changes, both with the unfortunate event and making him seem almost mentally challenged. I'm sure some of my dislike comes from him being my favorite book character, but still.

Listened to the ringer podcast on this with the show runner and I get the changes to Perrin now.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
for me... Mat's the one I am not totally sold on yet. I don't know what it is but I'm having a hard time enjoying him as Mat

Cj_cy

Nov 15, 2021
Listened to the ringer podcast on this with the show runner and I get the changes to Perrin now.

I like the response that he gave about Perrin, still not in love with the idea of "fridging" Perrin's wife. Brandon Sanderson made a post on reddit where he said he had suggested to the director that Perrin killing Master Luhhan could've had the same effect without falling into the trope. The result though I think does a decent job of communicating why Perrin is often so withdrawn.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
for me... Mat's the one I am not totally sold on yet. I don't know what it is but I'm having a hard time enjoying him as Mat
Feels like they decided that everyone needed a darker backstory element for whatever reason. Didn't really think about Mat as being off as it has been a minute since I last read the books, but now I see it. I don't remember his relationship to his father being like that.

I like the response that he gave about Perrin, still not in love with the idea of "fridging" Perrin's wife. Brandon Sanderson made a post on reddit where he said he had suggested to the director that Perrin killing Master Luhhan could've had the same effect without falling into the trope. The result though I think does a decent job of communicating why Perrin is often so withdrawn.
I'll have to give that podcast a listen, but I'm still skeptical. And killing Master Luhan would have had a much bigger impact on later story elements.

There is enough shock to their system with their isolated village getting attacked by monsters and being forced to leave home that adding additional traumas seems unnecessary. I really miss that Perrin didn't get his axe either. It was such a core story element of his character that I wonder how they are going to introduce or replace it.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Somewhat off topic but I'm circling back to Wheel right now and reading the Gathering Storm. I think I'm going to try to read all 3 of the Sanderson books to end. I won't say I'm not enjoying it, but my goodness this series is a slow burn. I have to be over a 3rd of the way through the book and the only storyline I'm kind of interested in is Egwene's. It feels like nothing is happening. That said I think things will be speeding up sometime soon here.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Somewhat off topic but I'm circling back to Wheel right now and reading the Gathering Storm. I think I'm going to try to read all 3 of the Sanderson books to end. I won't say I'm not enjoying it, but my goodness this series is a slow burn. I have to be over a 3rd of the way through the book and the only storyline I'm kind of interested in is Egwene's. It feels like nothing is happening. That said I think things will be speeding up sometime soon here.
That one was really slow if I recall. The final book I actually did as an audiobook. It was like 44 hours long.

I tried to start reading the series again and can barely get into book 1. Just too much going on in life right now to give any time to reading a fantasy epic like A Wheel of Time.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Haven't read the books but enjoyed the first season. Is there going to be a second? Will have to add the books to my queue.

Hold up, there's 9 books? :oops:

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Haven't read the books but enjoyed the first season. Is there going to be a second? Will have to add the books to my queue.

Hold up, there's 9 books? :oops:
14 actually and a prequel novel.

I believe it said they are renewed for seasons 2 and 3.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
I have read all 14. Sanderson did a great job finishing the story, and the last book is almost all the last battle. It was a great ending with some twists that I didn’t see coming.

There are a lot of storylines, so it can be kind of daunting. It is also what makes the whole epic so impressive, but I will admit it is not for everyone.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Personally, I thought the Sanderson books were quite refreshing and brought the story back to where Jordan had it before Crossroads at Twilight. Things were really getting slow and not moving forward. I thought Sanderson brought back and imo made it better.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
That one was really slow if I recall. The final book I actually did as an audiobook. It was like 44 hours long.

I tried to start reading the series again and can barely get into book 1. Just too much going on in life right now to give any time to reading a fantasy epic like A Wheel of Time.
I have the first 11 books myself, and I used the library for the last couple. That being said I couldnt imagine going back. Knowing the amount of text that is in front of you to wrap the story is too daunting a task.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Personally, I thought the Sanderson books were quite refreshing and brought the story back to where Jordan had it before Crossroads at Twilight. Things were really getting slow and not moving forward. I thought Sanderson brought back and imo made it better.
I second this. Jordan had way too many characters in the series. And they would disappear for a couple novels before having entire chapters once again dedicated to them. It was really a problem when I had pauses between reading while waiting for him to finish the next book.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
I have the first 11 books myself, and I used the library for the last couple. That being said I couldnt imagine going back. Knowing the amount of text that is in front of you to wrap the story is too daunting a task.
When the tv series was introduced I started re-reading them. It didn’t take me long to get sucked right back in. I stopped after book 6, because I thought I was getting too far ahead of the tv show.

I forgot how much I enjoyed the early books.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
I second this. Jordan had way too many characters in the series. And they would disappear for a couple novels before having entire chapters once again dedicated to them. It was really a problem when I had pauses between reading while waiting for him to finish the next book.
I can’t disagree with that opinion. When you have a book practically dedicated to three people trapped in a tower, it kind of feels like Jordan lost his way a little.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I like Sanderson a lot so I thought I’d give it a chance starting with his. I skipped some in the middle.

I think adding too many characters is just a trap that must be easy to fall into. Martin did the same thing with GoT IMO on the book side. Ultimately in both cases, I really only care about the Starks and Two Rivers kids. When I’m reading POV chapters by the Daughter of the Nine Moons I just am pushing through.

cursingbulldog

Aug 11, 2016
Not the worst thing for a TV series however, assuming the show stays popular enough, plenty of throwaway characters for execs to force feed young pop stars and other B and C list celebrities without them having to fabricate new characters or waste an important character on.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I think I've read 1-9 at least three times each. I got into the series right as 9 was coming out. I reread those first 9 at least twice more, once before book 12 and once as I did a full read through again a couple of years after they were all out.

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
When the tv series was introduced I started re-reading them. It didn’t take me long to get sucked right back in. I stopped after book 6, because I thought I was getting too far ahead of the tv show.

I forgot how much I enjoyed the early books.
I reread all the books after watching the first season. Such a huge series you always pick up more when rereading. I'm sure I'll reread again in a few years.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Well I just finished a Memory of Light today. I'll say this, I think they did a very good job wrapping up the series. I'm grateful that Jordan and his wife decided to hand the series off so the fans could have an ending. Great job by Sanderson as well bringing it home.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Well I just finished a Memory of Light today. I'll say this, I think they did a very good job wrapping up the series. I'm grateful that Jordan and his wife decided to hand the series off so the fans could have an ending. Great job by Sanderson as well bringing it home.
It really is a great ending. I would be disappointed if the show wasn’t able to wrap it up, but know it probably won’t be possible.

Help Support Us

Become a patron