The "We have no guards" excuse...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
I think that guard play is important, but people are using it as an excuse for our abysmal results this year, as if we're a PG away from being really, really competitive.

Rarely do teams have all of the pieces of the puzzle, yet well coached teams find a way to succeed.

We had great guards in Stinson and Blalock but I don't think we managed a .500 record their last year. It ain't all guard play like people say and I don't believe our guard play has been so bad that it should shoulder all the blame.

There's no reason that this team should be in 11th place in the Big 12. No reason at all. There's more talent than that and I would be surprised if others thought differently.

At worst, I think we should be 6 or 7th in the league based on the talent that we have.

Am I off base here???

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
YES, others may have pieces missing but not the PG. If you are going to succeed at any level in basketball it starts with a good PG. .spelled PERIOD.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I think that guard play is important, but people are using it as an excuse for our abysmal results this year, as if we're a PG away from being really, really competitive.

Rarely do teams have all of the pieces of the puzzle, yet well coached teams find a way to succeed.

We had great guards in Stinson and Blalock but I don't think we managed a .500 record their last year. It ain't all guard play like people say and I don't believe our guard play has been so bad that it should shoulder all the blame.

There's no reason that this team should be in 11th place in the Big 12. No reason at all. There's more talent than that and I would be surprised if others thought differently.

At worst, I think we should be 6 or 7th in the league based on the talent that we have.

Am I off base here???

There is a reason this team is that low.

Brackins is in a huge slump.

Wes is hurt all the time

We have no "Go To" guy.

We have no rebounding. Jiri thinks and mostly plays and acts like a guard. Brackins doesn't want to get physical. Our best rebounder is Clark.

Our 3 guards are walk ons who wouldn't start anywhere else.

Do you need more reasons or shall I go on?

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
There are times when we have 4 guys that came here as walk-ons on the court...Petersen, Haluska, Lee, and Thompson. And our best guard (Wesley) has only been healthy for 5-7 games. We are performing about as well as can be expected right now.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
We were 16-14 and Morgan was an awful coach. A decent coach gets that team into postseason play

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

Am I off base here???

YES!!

We have the least amount of talent in the league right now. Do people not realize that most other teams don't play 1 single walk on, let alone 4?!?!

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
We were 16-14 and Morgan was an awful coach. A decent coach gets that team into postseason play

Like Morgan did in 2005? Losing to eventual National Champs UNC in the 2nd round. Taggart, Jessan, and Jiri as a soph(pre McD butt whoopin). They arent exactly protypical big men. If we had even average big men we win more. Its just like the opposite problem were having this year with the guards.

Last edited:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Did I mention the 05 team? I am pretty sure I was talking about the 06 team.

Morgan was a bad coach and even worse at controlling his players. If people think that this team is hard to watch, I want you to think back to that 06 team. Twice the talent and the same amount of wins as we will have this year. The players got into altercations every single game. It was embarrassing.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Would you rather have all new guards, or all new post players? Either way it's going to be ugly.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Who knows what that team could've done if they had decided to play hard the whole season. One thing is for sure, they would've been better than an 8 seed, avoiding UNC in the 2nd round.
Like Morgan did in 2005? Losing to eventual National Champs UNC in the 2nd round.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
all new post players easy. If you got a guard that can get them the ball in good position new posts will score.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Hate to break it to ya, but the Stinson and Blaylock teams could have beaten this team.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I dont think many teams are good when 3 out of the 4 guards they play had never played a second of DI basketball before the season started. Can we stop with the Morgan compairsons at some point. He got fired get over it.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Newsflash....

This team has no guards and avg. play in the post.

Next years team will have avg. guards and no post play.

Translation: About the same record...different set of problems.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
all new post players easy. If you got a guard that can get them the ball in good position new posts will score.

I agree with you, but what about defending the other teams' post players?

Guards can't do everything.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Hate to break it to ya, but the Stinson and Blaylock teams could have beaten this team.

I will agree with you on this one. Poorly coached or not they would beat this team. Reason why??? NO GUARD PLAY TO COMBAT STINSON AND BLAYLOCK.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

That all depends on what team of there's showed up to play on that given night. The team that could beat a top 10 team or the team that got blew out by a bottom of the pac Big 12 team.