The Voice

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Anyone else watch The Voice? One of the final 8 signers, I just don't get. What do people see in Michelle Chamuel? I can't stand to watch her sing, if that's what you call it. Her facial and body gyrations just make me cringe. If she had a great voice to make up for it, that would be a different matter, but her voice is just ordinary, in my opinion. Nothing special. Yet the judges gush over her every time.

Do they just feel sorry for her because she's cast herself as the perennial outsider/loner/geek? Does she have one of those voices that sounds better in person than it does on TV?

If you ask me, there are two acts that get better with each performance and those are the Swon Brothers and Danielle Bradberry, and I'm not a country music fan. But these are the only people on the show who I would go see in concert.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling the Swon brothers will be booted off this week. They were the last ones to make the top 8 last week.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I watch, I think Adams team is the best with Blake 2nd. I don't get the craze with her either, those glasses are ridiculous. She is an alright singer but not nearly good enough to win.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I watch, I think Adams team is the best with Blake 2nd. I don't get the craze with her either, those glasses are ridiculous. She is an alright singer but not nearly good enough to win.

I used to think Adam's team was the best, but I've sort of flipped my opinion as the weeks wear on. I think Blake's team is best now, and like I say, I can't stand country music. I think two of Adams' performers have off weeks too often. Amber Carrington and Sarah Simmons. They either pick some stupid songs for those two to sing, or they're just not as polished as some of the others because their performances are spotty. Bradberry and the Swon Brothers, on the other hand, always deliver solid performances.

After they all picked their teams, I thought there was no way Blake would threepeat as the champion cause his team looked horrible on paper compared to others. Yet here we are down to the final 8 and he and Adam are the only coaches with 3 singers left.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
Anyone else watch The Voice? One of the final 8 signers, I just don't get. What do people see in Michelle Chamuel? I can't stand to watch her sing, if that's what you call it. Her facial and body gyrations just make me cringe. If she had a great voice to make up for it, that would be a different matter, but her voice is just ordinary, in my opinion. Nothing special. Yet the judges gush over her every time.

Do they just feel sorry for her because she's cast herself as the perennial outsider/loner/geek? Does she have one of those voices that sounds better in person than it does on TV?

If you ask me, there are two acts that get better with each performance and those are the Swon Brothers and Danielle Bradberry, and I'm not a country music fan. But these are the only people on the show who I would go see in concert.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling the Swon brothers will be booted off this week. They were the last ones to make the top 8 last week.

I don't think she is that bad. She is definitely in the top half of those remaining.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Shamuel is believable. She gets better as she gains confidence. She understands how to bring a song home. She isn't a perfect singer, but she's creative and has incredible range. As dumb as Usher sounds during the show, he is a really good coach.

I really have to question the OP's ear if the Swan Bros are among his favorites. They are talented, and seem like good dudes, but they are clearly the worst of the remaining contestants. I'm going to unfairly judge the OP and say he is a fan that has difficulty separating music from performance/style/charisma.

Shamuel can win. I think she will be in the top 3. The country girls are all amazing. I love these types of shows, but I'm always a little put off when it seems like the show is more of a corny live concert for the viewers than a competition for the singers and coaches. Too many violins and canned hand-waving and clapping and porch swings for my liking. It's called The Voice. Just sing.

Wow. Much longer than I had planned.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I would enjoy listening to a couple of cats make love than listen to that Sarah Simmons chick. Her voice is beyond annoying to me

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Big surprise tonight. I won't spoil it for anyone who DVR'd it and hasn't watched it yet, but the singer I thought could win it all was booted off. And really, the two who didn't make it were both a big surprise ... to me. I had one of them maybe not making it, and the teams they came from were also big shockers. But I picked two completely different singers not to make it. I'm glad I was wrong, however.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Big surprise tonight. I won't spoil it for anyone who DVR'd it and hasn't watched it yet, but the singer I thought could win it all was booted off. And really, the two who didn't make it were both a big surprise ... to me. I had one of them maybe not making it, and the teams they came from were also big shockers. But I picked two completely different singers not to make it. I'm glad I was wrong, however.

I have to agree about the "big surprise" last night. I really had this person pegged for the final two easily. That's the problem with "America voting".....it becomes more about a popularity contest and less about judging the actual talent.

I'm not a fan of country music either but Danielle has pure talent and impressive to say the least and especially for someone that's only 16 or 17.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
I have to agree about the "big surprise" last night. I really had this person pegged for the final two easily. That's the problem with "America voting".....it becomes more about a popularity contest and less about judging the actual talent.

I'm not a fan of country music either but Danielle has pure talent and impressive to say the least and especially for someone that's only 16 or 17.

I agree with this. The past seasons I only watched the blind auditions because of all the unknowns: will someone turn around, is the contestant a good singer, etc. I tried watching the entire thing this season but couldn't soon after Midas Whale got kicked off.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Don't read on if you don't know who was eliminated. I was somewhat shocked by Judith. but she had know personality until recently. She has a great voice, but many were against her because she had all the connections to Michael Jackson and still couldn't make it. Many thought she shouldn't be on the show, so I think that hurt her. I thought Sarah, Amber and Holly are all very similiar and 2 of the 3 of them needed to go. Was shocked by Judith, but not so much by Sarah.

Adam was/is ******!

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Adam was/is ******!

I wonder if he's going to get any blowback from his comment when they were picking one of the final 6. "I hate this country." I wasn't sure I even heard it right, but I watch with closed captioning on (in case I miss something someone says, I can read it instead of rewinding) and that's definitely what he said. I'm sure that statement wasn't meant to go out over the air and was just a joking aside to the other coaches cause his singers weren't getting picked, but I don't know if America is going to swallow that. EDIT: I just did a Google search for Adam Levine The Voice and the first thing that popped up was news stories about him apologizing for those comments after they caused a furor on social media. So he did get some blowback.

I think the reason his 2 singers lost is cause of the stupid songs they picked to sing. Stupid song choices will get you booted off quicker than anything. Pick something popular, not something 90 percent of the audience has never heard. To me, song choice is everything at this stage of the voice.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I didnt see it...

But i'll be honest.. if you define 'this country' by the people that vote in these reality tv music shows.. then yes, i hate 'this country' too.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I didnt see it...

But i'll be honest.. if you define 'this country' by the people that vote in these reality tv music shows.. then yes, i hate 'this country' too.

Ha! Yeah, I've watched the Voice for 3-4 years now and have never once voted. I'm just not that invested in it.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
It's becoming a country music competition which isn't all that surprising given the correlating demographics.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Don't read on if you don't know who was eliminated. I was somewhat shocked by Judith. but she had know personality until recently. She has a great voice, but many were against her because she had all the connections to Michael Jackson and still couldn't make it. Many thought she shouldn't be on the show, so I think that hurt her. I thought Sarah, Amber and Holly are all very similiar and 2 of the 3 of them needed to go. Was shocked by Judith, but not so much by Sarah.

Adam was/is ******!

Your thoughts on Judith pretty much mirror those of myself and my wife. She had her connections, and she had her shot, and she didn't take it. Time for somebody else to have a shot. If she wants to make a comeback or whatever, she shouldn't need The Voice to do it.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Your thoughts on Judith pretty much mirror those of myself and my wife. She had her connections, and she had her shot, and she didn't take it. Time for somebody else to have a shot. If she wants to make a comeback or whatever, she shouldn't need The Voice to do it.

I think there's bigger issues than that at play. Sure, that may be part of it, but season 2's winner had a similar situation ... background singer for Alisha Keyes (sp?) but he had a personality. I think we knew nothing of Hill's personality until this last show, when she was shown working with some school kids in Japan. And that may have played a part in it, too. People may well have thought, why don't you work with school kids here, in your own country? Not judging that thought one way or another, but it may have played a role.

Also, the notion that it's turning into a country music competition is nonsense. That may be the case this year, since 4 of the final 6 are country acts, but that's an aberration. No country act has ever won The Voice or ever made it to the final 4 even. So your demographic is all wrong. First year winner was a pop singer; second year, soul/R&B; third year, pop/rock. Last year's final three were pop/rock, classic rock and jazz/blues.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think there's bigger issues than that at play. Sure, that may be part of it, but season 2's winner had a similar situation ... background singer for Alisha Keyes (sp?) but he had a personality. I think we knew nothing of Hill's personality until this last show, when she was shown working with some school kids in Japan. And that may have played a part in it, too. People may well have thought, why don't you work with school kids here, in your own country? Not judging that thought one way or another, but it may have played a role.

Also, the notion that it's turning into a country music competition is nonsense. That may be the case this year, since 4 of the final 6 are country acts, but that's an aberration. No country act has ever won The Voice or ever made it to the final 4 even. So your demographic is all wrong. First year winner was a pop singer; second year, soul/R&B; third year, pop/rock. Last year's final three were pop/rock, classic rock and jazz/blues.

I very casually watch the show but didn't that Javier Colon release an album before? Initially I liked the fact that small time professionalism didn't disqualify you from the competition because the product is better but it seems kind of ****** for people who have had a shot to have to do this. I mean Cupid was on this thing once and he didn't make it even though he will have a more played dance song than anyone on this show will ever have. I really liked that Vicki girl because she just had a cool voice that was almost a throwback but there were certainly better voices.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I very casually watch the show but didn't that Javier Colon release an album before? Initially I liked the fact that small time professionalism didn't disqualify you from the competition because the product is better but it seems kind of ****** for people who have had a shot to have to do this. I mean Cupid was on this thing once and he didn't make it even though he will have a more played dance song than anyone on this show will ever have. I really liked that Vicki girl because she just had a cool voice that was almost a throwback but there were certainly better voices.

I thought Javier had a record deal, but it fell through before anything got released. I was thinking there was also someone on before that had played a lead roll on the Broadway show of Rent or something. I don't have any issues with some struggling professionals on the show trying to break through, I just never liked Judith personally.