The Undefeated on ESPN - Iowa Football PR Nightmare

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

Oh boy. This is bad PR for Iowa football off the espn home page.

It is time to start taking their lunch on the instate football recruiting. Imming, McLaughlin, and Deyo this year was a great start to that. It needs to continue.

Not only is Kirk getting really old, the national media is starting to circle the wagons on him getting fired. Good for us I believe.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy.gif

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
1. Wrong board.
2. National media made a far bigger deal of this in 2020 than local media did, and nothing happened then. Nothing will happen now, either; they simply don't care.
3. Despite their troubles, they still landed the biggest in-state recruiting prize. Things aren't that dire for them.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
This should go over well on the Iowa Rivals page today, completely rational responses I'm sure.
When I think about how Iowa coaches called Allen Lazard 200x to tell him Isu can't get guys to the pros (which turned out to be a falsehood), this should be used against them. Every time this should be used against them. Less stability begets less stability.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
1. Wrong board.
2. National media made a far bigger deal of this in 2020 than local media did, and nothing happened then. Nothing will happen now, either; they simply don't care.
3. Despite their troubles, they still landed the biggest in-state recruiting prize. Things aren't that dire for them.

I wouldn't say nothing happened. Ever since that all came out Iowa has had a really hard time recruiting AA's. But yeah it feels like things should have went much farther than that.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018

It is time to start taking their lunch on the instate football recruiting. Imming, McLaughlin, and Deyo this year was a great start to that. It needs to continue.

Not only is Kirk getting really old, the national media is starting to circle the wagons on him getting fired. Good for us I believe.
Very well written. Kurt and the hoks suck.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I wouldn't say nothing happened. Ever since that all came out Iowa has had a really hard time recruiting AA's. But yeah it feels like things should have went much farther than that.

I meant nothing happened in terms of his job status. Yes, recruiting was more difficult for them and perhaps will continue to be. But I'm skeptical. People have short memories and he can point to the fact that he was removed from the lawsuit. It's all a transparent sham but Barta has allowed him to bend that university over a barrel.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The clincher is the closing paragraph is pretty spot on in why it will just shorty move on to "nothing to see here". Talking about is pretty much a waste of time, sadly.

"Ferentz, Barta and Iowa’s all-white board of regents are banking on two things: The media will move on, and the fan base will cheer on in a state that’s 90% white and 4% Black. Judging by my angry Twitter mentions and the racist emails I’ve received since writing about the lawsuit, a lot of people want the whole topic of the Hawkeyes’ racism to vanish along with the advisory committee members."​

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

It just amazes me how the Iowa media just continues to give Kirk a free pass on all of this because he's a "good guy". They are part of the problem IMO. Kirk never should have gotten the chance to "fix" this, he had his chance. This is basic HR stuff, there are no do overs.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
1. Wrong board.

This. Don't get your hopes up. This will get washed away in the news cycle in a few days.

• Winner
Reactions: Cydkar

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Can't wait for this to not be mentioned at all on the afternoon shows today.

Iowa media has been abysmal on this story from day one, but this story isn't exactly breaking news here. It's just a re-hash of what's already known.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
It just amazes me how the Iowa media just continues to give Kirk a free pass on all of this because he's a "good guy". They are part of the problem IMO. Kirk never should have gotten the chance to "fix" this, he had his chance. This is basic HR stuff, there are no do overs.
The media in Iowa will either ignore the story or slant it toward their chosen one, however this is not unique to this state this is how the media in general rolls anymore.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
The Iowa media will not TOUCH Ferentz or the UI football program. It is probably more protected than the Nebr program was in the 1990s. More protected because things come out and they are just openly ignored.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
The media in Iowa will either ignore the story or slant it toward their chosen one, however this is not unique to this state this is how the media in general rolls anymore.
local media though has no bearing on recruiting though. This will hurt recruiting, either directly or indirectly.. Either recruits will see this stuff, or assistants will ahem, make them aware of it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: BoxsterCy

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
local media though has no bearing on recruiting though. This will hurt recruiting, either directly or indirectly.. Either recruits will see this stuff, or assistants will ahem, make them aware of it.

Uh, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.