The Tournament

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HiltonMagicLegends

May 8, 2017
Was planning to go to a couple games since I will be in DC for vacation and it would be driveable. Thought we might play Friday and sometime reasonable Saturday so I could get back to DC for family time, but basically the exact opposite happened and can't swing it.
That...is exactly what we were worried about. We have zero control over times for games. We wish the games were earlier in the day, but they are on prime times to catch the television to watch!

Reactions: IASTATE07

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
That...is exactly what we were worried about. We have zero control over times for games. We wish the games were earlier in the day, but they are on prime times to catch the television to watch!
The beauty of retirement - times don't matter. We'll be there!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I found this really interesting. I have never seen this played as such, but I think it really sounds interesting. It makes me even more interested in the tournament now. It appears they are going to use the Elam Ending for all their tourney games. More info on the link below.

https://www.thetournament.com/news/tbts-jamboree-feature-elam-ending
Can we get a Cliff Notes version of it? What is it, turn off the clock and just count possessions?

Nevermind, I found it:

Elam landed on something more radical: eliminate the game clock from crunch time. Under Elam's proposal, the clock would vanish after the first stoppage under the three-minute mark in the NBA and the four-minute mark in NCAA games. Officials would establish a target score by taking the score of the leading team and adding seven points -- then restart the game without a clock. The team that reaches that target score first wins.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I found this really interesting. I have never seen this played as such, but I think it really sounds interesting. It makes me even more interested in the tournament now. It appears they are going to use the Elam Ending for all their tourney games. More info on the link below.

Zach Lowe of ESPN just did an in depth article on the Elam Ending with the pro's and cons. The NBA is going to be watching to see if elements could be used for their end of game issues. The change is thought to be to radical to be used but they are evaluating.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23825970/zach-lowe-basketball-tournament-nba-crunch

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Zach Lowe of ESPN just did an in depth article on the Elam Ending with the pro's and cons. The NBA is going to be watching to see if elements could be used for their end of game issues. The change is thought to be to radical to be used but they are evaluating.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23825970/zach-lowe-basketball-tournament-nba-crunch
I love it. Think of all the times we've missed the first few minutes of a televised game due to the previous game running long. That alone is a good enough reason for me to get behind the concept!

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

And you'll get to see the Elam Ending in TBT's Jamboree, June 17-18 in Philadelphia.

So did anybody watch these games?

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Interesting concept but I would hate to lose the: last second shot - hornnnnnn - crowd eruption buzzer beater sequence in March.
I think you'll actually get more crowd eruptions with this concept. Think of all the close games that will come down to both teams within 3 points of the winning score, and whoever scores that winning shot will result in a huge celebration. The intensity for those last few minutes will be amped up considerably in a lot of games, compared to the long drawn-out fouling scenarios that take the life out of games at the end today.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
It’s only going to be in the playin games. Iowa should see it but we wont
I appreciate the joke but it was only used for play in games last year. This year it will be for every game

• Agree
Reactions: ILikeCy

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
It’s only going to be in the playin games. Iowa should see it but we wont
tenor.gif