The Tournament

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Like I said, if all you care about is winning, maybe, maybe Martin is your guy. He wasn't mine. The program was quickly falling apart. Read the piece I linked.

I know he's a pop culture sports hero of sorts. Much like Mangino in many ways.

Yes the program was falling apart so much that even Weber could win the following year

• Creative
Reactions: 2020cy

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
No kidding. We lost by 11 pts to a KSU All Star team with almost nobody that would make the top 10 in ISU's All Star team. Maybe Stinson and Garrett would?

Still proud of the guys for fighting while severely undermanned to a loaded KSU team. Let's get Royce, Niang, and Tinsley or something and make this thing a complete ISU rout.

I think that with Stinson, Garrett, McGee, Bubu, they have the guards to play with anyone. They need to start working on getting some bigs and wings for next year. You get Brackens, Ejim, Clyburn, Hogue, Babb, McKay and you have a contender. If somehow they talk Royce White into playing, they are one of the favorites. Royce would dominate that tournament.

HiltonMagicLegends

May 8, 2017
Thank you everyone for the support!

There has been a lot of mention of players needed, disappointments, etc. and we understand that. We want everyone to understand that this is the first year an Iowa State team has been put together, by two extremely dedicated fans. It was extremely difficult and had many learning curves. As mentioned, this is a non-paying gig (unless you win it all). It gives the players exposure and floor time against high-quality opponents, but it is a big risk. We had a few players drop out at the end, but we feel our first showing was strong. TBT absolutely loved having us here and were extremely excited to talk to us. We absolutely want to keep this a tradition, especially now that it has been established as a legitimate tournament and the players/fans have a better understanding of what TBT exactly is. Marcus Fizer, Tyrus McGee, Bubu Palo are all committed to next year already, and have talked about recruiting some higher quality talent and names you all will recognize.

We also need to give a huge thanks to Vic Miller. He did so much for the team, and the players loved seeing a familiar face giving them treatment before, during, and after the game. He loved seeing the players from across the years as well. He was able to attend to all of our players needs, and made what we were doing 1st class. The only reason Darrell Bowie was able to make it on the court was because of Vic.

TBT and all the other teams were blown away with our professionalism in our first time out, and we hope to keep it going for many years to come.

Thanks again #CyclONEnation!

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

There has been a lot of mention of players needed, disappointments, etc. and we understand that. We want everyone to understand that this is the first year an Iowa State team has been put together, by two extremely dedicated fans. It was extremely difficult and had many learning curves. As mentioned, this is a non-paying gig (unless you win it all). It gives the players exposure and floor time against high-quality opponents, but it is a big risk. We had a few players drop out at the end, but we feel our first showing was strong. TBT absolutely loved having us here and were extremely excited to talk to us. We absolutely want to keep this a tradition, especially now that it has been established as a legitimate tournament and the players/fans have a better understanding of what TBT exactly is. Marcus Fizer, Tyrus McGee, Bubu Palo are all committed to next year already, and have talked about recruiting some higher quality talent and names you all will recognize.

We also need to give a huge thanks to Vic Miller. He did so much for the team, and the players loved seeing a familiar face giving them treatment before, during, and after the game. He loved seeing the players from across the years as well. He was able to attend to all of our players needs, and made what we were doing 1st class. The only reason Darrell Bowie was able to make it on the court was because of Vic.

TBT and all the other teams were blown away with our professionalism in our first time out, and we hope to keep it going for many years to come.

If you're there, we're there. Y'all did a great job putting it together. Publicity will help too...I've talked to a lot of Cyclone fans not on CF that knew nothing about this tournament. I think we need to start spreading the word when we're back at Hilton in November. :)

Reactions: HiltonMagicLegends

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

As posted earlier, kudos to you guys for making this happen. I'm sure we can't even imagine what it takes with all the twists and turns. You are the truest of true Cyclone fans!

• Winner
Reactions: HiltonMagicLegends

barryb4384

Jun 30, 2006
Thank you so much for putting this team together and taking the time and energy to represent Iowa State so well. And to the fans that traveled...it was clear that Hilton Magic was a fan favorite. I can't wait for next year.

As for next year and getting the word out, I will do my part. The Tournament really makes this interactive and possibly lucrative for the fans as well. Fans get 10% of the 2 million if your team wins. While Hilton Magic Legends may be out, my other 3 teams are still in (you can pick up to 4 teams). Picking a team helps them get votes (my family and friends got Hilton Magic Legends 5-10 votes) and gets you points. Entering their bracket challenge gets you points. And if you are in the top 100 in points (didn't take much this year), you can win money if your team wins it all. Like I said, While the Legends are out, I'm still watching the games and now cheering for Ram Nation, Boeheim's Army, and the Golden Eagles. Doing this early next year by many of us could help the Legends get even more points and recognition and be even more fun for our fans.

See you next year Hilton Magic Legends!!

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Like I said, if all you care about is winning, maybe, maybe Martin is your guy. He wasn't mine. The program was quickly falling apart. Read the piece I linked.

I know he's a pop culture sports hero of sorts. Much like Mangino in many ways.
That's not an article; that's a blog post. It's amazing how easily swayed you are by "articles" like this that don't actually contain any facts but are instead based on a bunch of unsupported claims stated boldly so that readers assume they are true.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
What we 'got now' doesn't cheat, doesn't act like a buffoon and has a championship banner. But to each his own.

illini-top-10-bruce-weber-1.jpg

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
On a note about The Tournament, ISU fans can tune in today to watch their favorite former Kansas Jayhawk, Elijah Johnson, as his Team FOE takes on Boeheim's Army at 2pm eastern! Other players on Team FOE (GM is former KU star Markieff Morris) are former KU players Tyshawn Taylor and Mario Little, former Nova player Maalik Wayns and even Klay Thompson's little brother, Mychel.

• Dislike
Reactions: isutrevman

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Was the Jake Anderson on A Few Good Men our former player? He's not on the roster, but is listed in the boxscore. siap

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Couldn't find any pics of Jake with cornrows for an easier comparison. One thing I remember about Jake was huge dimples...I tried to find him grinning on the replay on ESPN...no luck so far. I put pics side by side...and the best we could come up with was "maybe". He'd be about 6 years older, hair is different. :)

Attachments

• jake 1.jpg
    jake 1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 12
  • jake 2.jpg
    jake 2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 13
  • jake 1.jpg
    jake 1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 12

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I enjoyed watching you guys play! Great showing for your first year in it. Hopefully Garrett signs up again, because he was awesome. Question: What are the rules for G-League players? Are they off limits? And what about guys like Babb playing in Europe? Is that just a personal decision as to whether they want to put in the extra time? If I were you guys, I would be putting the full court press on Royce White, as he would flat out dominate in this setting. If you get him and Ejim, you are going to have a real shot at winning it.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
On a note about The Tournament, ISU fans can tune in today to watch their favorite former Kansas Jayhawk, Elijah Johnson, as his Team FOE takes on Boeheim's Army at 2pm eastern! Other players on Team FOE (GM is former KU star Markieff Morris) are former KU players Tyshawn Taylor and Mario Little, former Nova player Maalik Wayns and even Klay Thompson's little brother, Mychel.

A team of a bunch of old Kansas guys blew a 25 point lead in The Basketball Tournament

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron