The time has come...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
for Mr. & Mrs ISUFan22 to enter the world of HDTV. We're taking baby steps as we're quite unsure and emotional about such a drastic change. Hopefully the people around us can help us through this trying time.

Tonight we'll pick up our new equipment and place it in the house. I may even hook up the HD antenna and give it a whirl. Tomorrow DirecTV arrives to connect service.

And Saturday night, after we've moved our furniture and boxes into the new pad - we'll relax in front of this magnificent machine and watch our Cyclones take on Oklahoma State - in HD - for the first time.

Sony, please be gentile with us. We're only virgins.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
We made the switch about 6-8 months ago and I can tell you it's a world of difference. Even the difference on regular shows like CBS Comedy's can be quite drastic and noticeable. Obviously it's really noticeable for sports but the overall tv viewing experience is completely different afterwards. Every once in a while we'll switch to the non-HD channel of what we're watching just to remind us what it used to be like:)

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
There is nothing like watching sports in HD. It is unbelievable. You can see the scratches on the football players helmets, etc. The first time I watched the Clones in HD at home was this year's ISU-Iowa football game, I will admit the Kinnick Stadium looks very impressive in HD.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I am completely hooked on HDTV. I entered the HD world a little over a year ago and I haven't looked back. It has completely changed my viewing habits. I will watch something mediocre in HD before I will find something to watch that isn't in HD.

The only downside to it is that it can be really hard to go back! When the game you want to watch isn't being shown in HD it can be really disappointing. And as for the ISU-Iowa game this year, Kinnick is a giant toilet, and HD just makes it look like a really shiny toilet. But hey, that is impressive by itself!

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
We've been a High Def house for two years now and I'll second hursts' opinion concerning sports. Football is just amazing to view in HD. The lines on the field just pop, the helmets shine and the game just seems so much more impressive without horizontal lines or static on the screen that you get with analog. The Winter Olympics in 2006 were great in HD. You could see the snow falling in detail and watching the events in HD and then flipping over to the analog tuner showed just how great HD is. Enjoy your new television.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
Congrats! Funny (actually sad) story... My wife decided to buy me a 50" Sony HDTV for Christmas. I was tickled, esp. since she's not a research junkie like me - she did a great job picking one out - even on sale! But here's the kicker... we're remodeling our basement and she doesn't want to remove the TV from the box until the dust has settled (literally!). So, every time I go downstairs, that unboxed TV taunts me, "You can't watch me, na na na na na!" It's maddening!

But, once it's ready, we'll upgrade to the HD pkg. with Dish, get an HD antenna for the locals and hopefully be watching March Madness in high def!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Congrats! Funny (actually sad) story... My wife decided to buy me a 50" Sony HDTV for Christmas. I was tickled, esp. since she's not a research junkie like me - she did a great job picking one out - even on sale! But here's the kicker... we're remodeling our basement and she doesn't want to remove the TV from the box until the dust has settled (literally!). So, every time I go downstairs, that unboxed TV taunts me, "You can't watch me, na na na na na!" It's maddening!

LMAO!

This is close to what I went through. We bought the TV at the end of December and Mrs. ISUFan22 in fact pulled the trigger on getting it then. We're still in our apartment so we had the store hold the TV until we were ready to move. While I didn't have the TV physically taunting me - it did it remotely. And our TV is also a 50" Sony. :)

We'll be watching the Super Bowl next weekend on it - guaranteed. And I already can't wait for March Madness.

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Yes, I think the only local channel that doesn't have HD as an option right now is Fox. I could be wrong since we get our HD locals through Mediacom but I don't believe KDSM has gotten in the game yet for HD.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
KDSM actually does have an HD option, though you will have to pick it up with an antenna over the air. The reason Fox is not available over Mediacom in HD has something to do with the current retransmission deal between Sinclair and Mediacom that is causing all these problems. It is my impression that when the situation is resolved KDSM-HD will be added on Mediacom.

If you simply drop by your local Medicom office they will hand you an antenna to pick up Fox. Hook it up to your HDTV and you can tune FoxHD on channel 17.1. Thanks to the Mediacom Sinclair dispute I'm now watching FoxHD for the first time thanks to my free antenna!

Here is the link to find the Mediacom office nearest you.

http://www.befairsinclair.com/locations.html

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
KDSM actually does have an HD option, though you will have to pick it up with an antenna over the air. The reason Fox is not available over Mediacom in HD has something to do with the current retransmission deal between Sinclair and Mediacom that is causing all these problems. It is my impression that when the situation is resolved KDSM-HD will be added on Mediacom.

If you simply drop by your local Medicom office they will hand you an antenna to pick up Fox. Hook it up to your HDTV and you can tune FoxHD on channel 17.1. Thanks to the Mediacom Sinclair dispute I'm now watching FoxHD for the first time thanks to my free antenna!

Here is the link to find the Mediacom office nearest you.

http://www.befairsinclair.com/locations.html

Great info, I didn't know the problem with HD was tied to the larger issue. I had rcvd my antenna and was using it but was oblivious that they had an HD transmission. Now if I only knew that for the NFL playoffs:)

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Here's my stupid question for the day:

How does HD over the air produce a better picture when I can't even get a semi-decent signal from network channels over the air in non-HD?

ISUAlum2003

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Be sure to run the auto program feature on your tv once the antenna is set up and transmitting a signal to the tv.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It's my understanding when getting HD channels OTA I'll need to switch back and forth between input options for the TV when watching the locals or getting signal from the DirecTV box...correct?

ISUAlum2003

Oct 18, 2006
Iowa
Yes. Either choose the external input option your satellite receiver is hooked to or choose the antenna option on the tv menu.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Football in HD is just.........awesome..........I can't wait for the Superbowl. Surround sound and everything...........just need the keg fridge and a beer wench........

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron