The three Cyclone basketball players who made you the fan you are today

Amac12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 21, 2020
Martinez Desmond, Clint Harris, and Eric Heft. We were close to having something special with Maury John prior to his cancer. Went to hell for a decade until Johnny.

Reactions: NWICY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I am originally from Minnesota and didn’t care much about ISU. Not even when I was in school because sports kinda sucked at that point when I graduated in 2010. I got waaay into ISU bball in the Hoiball days after graduation so I’ll say Niang, Naz and Ejim for sure.

Reactions: NWICY

raftercy

Sep 6, 2006
Albia, IA
Ronnie Harris. My first game I saw in Hilton, he guarded Waymon Tisdale, and held him to 12 points I think. He was averaging over 20 if memory serves me right.
Also from that era, Barry Stevens and Hornacek. If only 3 pointers were a thing then.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
I go back before most of you : John McGonigle, Zaid Abdul-Aziz (Don Smith), and Bill Cain. Could add Jim Abraham's in there, too.

Zaid Abdul-Aziz still hold the Iowa State records for scoring average per game at over 20 ppg and rebounds per game at over 13 rpg!

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Just three?

Well, all-righty then. I'll start with the J's.

Justus Thigpen, Jackson Vroman, Julo Michalik

And the three is just bad, because then I don't get to include Jacy Holloway, still 4th in all-time assists, and Jamal Tinsley, who is still 9th.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Mike Nurse - dude was such a character on a great team that I could use up all 3 for this list. His game after he got hit by a car during Thanksgiving break was epic, he wasn't even dressed for the 1st half then comes in the 2nd half with bandages and all still on from his wounds and drains some LONG 3s.

Rashon Clark - maybe the best dunker ISU has ever had

George's Niang - maybe the 1 guy that just embodies everything you want from a player that wears the Cardinal and Gold

Reactions: pourcyne and Die4Cy

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
- Tinsley dribbling between guys legs
- Horton drilling threes from the logo
- Paul Shirley crying so you knew they cared too

Reactions: Die4Cy

NWtornado

Dec 20, 2021
Mike Nurse - dude was such a character on a great team that I could use up all 3 for this list. His game after he got hit by a car during Thanksgiving break was epic, he wasn't even dressed for the 1st half then comes in the 2nd half with bandages and all still on from his wounds and drains some LONG 3s.

Rashon Clark - maybe the best dunker ISU has ever had

George's Niang - maybe the 1 guy that just embodies everything you want from a player that wears the Cardinal and Gold
I had class with Nurse the morning of that game. He was dragging his leg like it was dead. I thought there was zero chance he was going to play that night.

Reactions: CYdTracked

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
These aren't necessarily my favorite Cyclone players, but they're the ones that first made me passionate.

Kantrail Horton- The shot from the KU logo
Jamaal Tinsley - Going between the opponent's legs
Tyray Pearson - The hair. Also, he flashed so hard his second year. The team wasn't very good, but Tyray was.

Reactions: CYdTracked

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Who are the three Cyclone basketball players who most contributed to your love of Hilton and Cyclone basketball? It doesn't have to be the greatest player you ever saw play or a huge statistical performer. Who did you watch play that made you identify as a Cyclone fan from the start, or turned you into the fan you are today?

For me coming of age as a sports fan, it was Barry Stevens, Jeff Grayer, and Justus Thigpen. I spent so many hours in the driveway pretending to be one of them. I saw Jeff Grayer in an airport once a few years ago and was too star struck to go talk to him. Justus was a junior the year I arrived at ISU, and put up some legendary performances that year including the famous floor shaker against OSU and a buzzer beater against KU. Barry was pure talent, so damn smooth. All were Flint guys Johnny got to come to Ames.

Who were yours?

Just opened and can’t wait to read more than the 1st post but for me it was Justus Thigpen, Dedric Willoughby, and Big Vic.

Reactions: Die4Cy

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
jj moses
seneca wallace
gina curtis-ISU hall of fame track star. High jumper that retrained herself to jump on her off leg after an injury. I had her newspaper clipping posted in my bedroom wall. She could jump over my head on her off leg and that was both impressive and sexy in equal parts.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Who are the three Cyclone basketball players who most contributed to your love of Hilton and Cyclone basketball? It doesn't have to be the greatest player you ever saw play or a huge statistical performer. Who did you watch play that made you identify as a Cyclone fan from the start, or turned you into the fan you are today?

For me coming of age as a sports fan, it was Barry Stevens, Jeff Grayer, and Justus Thigpen. I spent so many hours in the driveway pretending to be one of them. I saw Jeff Grayer in an airport once a few years ago and was too star struck to go talk to him. Justus was a junior the year I arrived at ISU, and put up some legendary performances that year including the famous floor shaker against OSU and a buzzer beater against KU. Barry was pure talent, so damn smooth. All were Flint guys Johnny got to come to Ames.

Who were yours?
Abdul-Aziz,Ivy and Parker and on and on….

Reactions: NWICY and aauummm