The Sunday After: Akron (5 yard penalty for delay of game)

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Thanks, Jay,
Very insightful. I was not aware of how bad our coaching staff sucks. I, like many others, say we should have kept the old regime. 41 points a game is an embarrassment. The oline should be way ahead of where there are, with all the experience they have together, one would assume they would have meshed into a freight train.
Dropped passes, who would have thunk. Those floaters should never go through a receivers hands. NEVER happens in the NFL, shouldn't happen here.
It is obvious this staff is not putting in the hours they should..If you want to see sad, look at the GPA's of this team. I am told that the average GPA is about 2.9.
PATHETIC. Fire the whole staff. They don't deserve any more time.
raw

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Thanks, Jay,
Very insightful. I was not aware of how bad our coaching staff sucks. I, like many others, say we should have kept the old regime. 41 points a game is an embarrassment. The oline should be way ahead of where there are, with all the experience they have together, one would assume they would have meshed into a freight train.
Dropped passes, who would have thunk. Those floaters should never go through a receivers hands. NEVER happens in the NFL, shouldn't happen here.
It is obvious this staff is not putting in the hours they should..If you want to see sad, look at the GPA's of this team. I am told that the average GPA is about 2.9.

Congratulations 'vac. You're the second person ever on my ignore list.
What's wrong with an expert voicing BOTH the positives and the negatives? If I wanted only unicorn skittles I'd become a hok fan and read the Gazette.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Thanks, Jay,
Did someone piss in your cheerios?
There are plenty of negatives that need attention, just ask Campbell.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Love it! I really enjoy reading these pieces, keep up the good work.

I was glad to see that I wasn't the only one catching Edwards in horrible safety coverage. I had seen it a couple times in the Iowa game, and then found myself screaming at the TV when he let that long pass completion for a TD vs Akron. I didn't realize Lewis was back there the entire 2nd half, but that explains why it was no longer an issue. I hope he has earned himself a promotion, whereas Edwards has some work/practice to do.

Yep, I didn't realize that either, but it certainly sheds light on why we pitched a shutout in the second half!

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Thanks, Jay,

515.gif

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Thanks, Jay,
And that's how I know that you suck at evaluating football.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Thanks, Jay,

images

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
That was a great write up. A lawyer I actual want to listen to, who would of ever thought that was possible? Jays negatives are areas to work on. Most are correctable and the others you have to work around. The safety issue can be fixed either through personnel or practice. His explanation of why Warren has been ineffective was dead on and the good news is it looks like the staff is tailoring plays to the personnel in the game. This staff is better at adjusting during the season than previous staffs in my opinion.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Thanks, Jay,

EABOD

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Would love to see the comparisons at the end of the year versus the beginning. See where we struggled and how we improved.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I love the articles, but I do not get the praise for Ruth. I thought he was awful. He battled I guess and maybe a lot of those mistakes were on the Safeties, but he did not look good out there.

I think that is what I like about these articles as well as Woody on CFTV.

I'm just a fan, like you I presume, who sees a corner get beat over the top and think "that dude just effed up". When in reality, he was just doing what he was supposed to be doing in a two deep zone and released the guy to the safety... who wasn't there. I see the "what" that just happened but don't get the "why". These articles and CFTV give me the understanding of the "why".

After the last two years of CFTV and now Jay's columns here, I am a lot more knowledgeable about football in general.

I do know for a fact, that in past years and years of watching ISU football, I have probably been yelling through my TV about the wrong guy screwing up more often than not.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I enjoyed reading that. I think you're being a little tough on the O Line run blocking! We have the big 12 leading rusher and he didn't get all of those yards on his own. (Well, maybe most of them he did :D)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That was a great write up. A lawyer I actual want to listen to, who would of ever thought that was possible? Jays negatives are areas to work on. Most are correctable and the others you have to work around. The safety issue can be fixed either through personnel or practice. His explanation of why Warren has been ineffective was dead on and the good news is it looks like the staff is tailoring plays to the personnel in the game. This staff is better at adjusting during the season than previous staffs in my opinion.

They seem to do a nice job at in-game/halftime adjustments as well. There wasn't satisfaction for just having a lead Saturday.

One complaint is offensively, if something's working, don't shy away from it just because it's a crucial moment. Running something like that 'option' pitch to DM late the week before may have made the difference.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
They seem to do a nice job at in-game/halftime adjustments as well. There wasn't satisfaction for just having a lead Saturday.

One complaint is offensively, if something's working, don't shy away from it just because it's a crucial moment. Running something like that 'option' pitch to DM late the week before may have made the difference.

Just want to say I completely agree with the larger point you made in this comment, but the bolded is largely due to the defensive looks we were getting from Iowa.

Reactions: tazclone

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I quick question. On short yardage, goal line or even in the red zone plays why not go with the wildcat with extra blockers or at least an extra RB or 2 or 3. It could be similar to what Lanning does but with the RBs instead of Joel. I also loved the jumbo package they ran vs UNI, the wildcat and that blocking package could do some damage.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Love these articles, thanks for the good info.

Excited about Braxton Lewis. Saw this tweet shortly after I read your article. He and Montgomery were the only Cyclones on the first team offense/defense.

EDIT: Lanning is in there too!
Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 11.22.53 PM.png

Last edited: