The standings now become the ranking, no more rationalization ...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
So, although I didn't want to do this, after all your ongoing prodding, it didn't take long. This post of yours defending Ku/Self was buried in a 50-pager about Ku basketballers being investigated for raping a 16-year old girl. You go out of your way to explain how Self should have protected himself from the unfairness of making Ku hoops look bad because the "incident" was clearly overblown. And money given to shut down the investigation is in no way wrong for the briber or Ku hoopsters.

Mar 13, 2017
As the person who started this thread, I will say that I think a lot of you (well, mainly Surly) are digging hard to make KU look bad. A few things...

When KU locked up a share of the big 12 title with 3 games left, and won it outright with two games left, Self was an absolute idiot (and stubborn) for not suspending Jackson for at least a game. Do it if for nothing to save face and give the impression that you dont find what going on to be acceptable. Do it, and there is no one out there thinking that basketball is the most important thing at KU.

The story about the girl losing playing time because of the incident is overblown and inaccurate. Her dad is trying to spew a lot of things out to the media, and the KC Star is the only one taking the bait so far.

Jackson's attorney offering money to make it go away is in no way wrong. If i did something as dumb as he did and got caught, and at his age I was lucky to not get caught, I would want my attorney to do the same.

So your example of how I have defended Bill Self is a post where I call Bill Self an idiot?

And for the record, I was talking about the misdemeanor for kicking the car in when discussing the suspension and my last paragraph. Also, Jackson never got charged with rape, so...

Lastly, I started the thread you referenced, so if you're trying to imply that I'm a KU hoops defender, wouldn't it be ironic of me to start that thread?

Nice try @surly . Please do better.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: surly

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
This should have been obvious by my Chevron comment that they've been around. The point is they've now exploded due, in my view, to Millenials' reliance on social media platforms and their penchant for taking short cuts in communications, so frowned on in commerce back in my day. INRI is perhaps mankind's most endearing, right?
I think you meant "enduring".

• Winner
Reactions: jsb

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Title is odd....aren't the standings always the rationalization?
Standings are a reflection of records achieved. Rankings are, like power rankings we do here, are subjective eye tests coupled with standings. Oft times our rankings are not reflective of the actual standings.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Standings are a reflection of records achieved. Rankings are, like power rankings we do here, are subjective eye tests coupled with standings. Oft times our rankings are not reflective of the actual standings.
"You are what your record says you are." - Bill Parcels

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Title is indeed a bit odd. I haven't paid too close attention to surly posts this season. Has there been a lot of puffing of chests and eye test excuses made in weeks past?

Power rankings from the talking heads (or worse, we the message boarders) don't matter. Standings are the absolute and unapologetic reflection of what your team is at any given moment in time.

Yes there are moral victories along the way, and there's personal growth and difficult failure alike for the coaches and players putting in the hard work, and there's plenty to reflect upon at year's end to analyze the trajectory of any given program, but disregarding all this fluff above, only one thing matters:

tenor.gif

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I remember starting the year off with ISU at or near the top if that's what you're driving at, g'awesome?

Oct 13, 2019
  1. OU - weren't overwhelming
  2. Texas - a solid non-factor
  3. BU - bad call wins the day
  4. ISU - it's October
  5. TxT - bad call loses the day
  6. oSu - consistently unpredictable
  7. TCU - quarterback U, not!
  8. WVU - on schedule
  9. K-State - could be worse
  10. Ku - worse

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Lol at all the Surly hate. I love having him here. Nice change of pace from the rabid ditto-heads.

• Friendly
Reactions: surly

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I remember starting the year off with ISU at or near the top if that's what you're driving at, g'awesome?

Oct 13, 2019

• OU - weren't overwhelming
    • Texas - a solid non-factor
    • BU - bad call wins the day
    • ISU - it's October
    • TxT - bad call loses the day
    • oSu - consistently unpredictable
    • TCU - quarterback U, not!
    • WVU - on schedule
    • K-State - could be worse
    • Ku - worse

Properly quoting posts is hard for some.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I went through and played out the last two games in my head:

OU 8-1, 11-1
Baylor 7-2, 10-2
ISU 6-3, 8-4,
Texas 6-3, 8-4
OSU 5-4, 8-4
KSU 4-5, 7-5
TCU 4-5, 6-6
Tech 2-7, 4-8
WVU 2-7, 4-8
KU 1-8, 3-9

The loses at BU and at OU hurt real bad.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron