The Other Place (in Ames) is closed

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
While we're talking business closings, whats happening with Butch's gas station at Lincoln Way and Duff? I am wondering if someone is putting in a large building. Okiboji grill has closed, but I couldn't tell you if it is close enough to be in the same complex.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
While we're talking business closings, whats happening with Butch's gas station at Lincoln Way and Duff? I am wondering if someone is putting in a large building. Okiboji grill has closed, but I couldn't tell you if it is close enough to be in the same complex.

Every time I hear of some new restaurant maybe opening up I close my eyes and pray to baby jesus that it's DaVinci's coming back. Won't ever happen but I pray nonetheless.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Old Okoboji location is going to be Boulder Tap House restaurant I think, I don't think that includes Butch's land though.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Butch's as a company was bought by another towing company IIRC. Pretty sure their building is sitting idle right now.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The Mason City OP closed abruptly about 5 years ago, not sure if ownership was the same.

IIRC, employees didnt even know. They showed up to work one day and there was a sign on the door saying it was closed permanently.
I was going this route too, the NEVER statement is untrue.....

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
We probably went 10 or so times during it's existence in Ames, mostly work lunches. We'd go in a group of 5-7 people. The food was pretty good, but the service was so slow. The staff was always very nice, but it just took way too long to get anything.

I also remember the first time we ordered from them, shortly after they opened, I called in to order their specialty 5 cheese pizza. My daughter was on a cheese pizza only kick at the time.
I asked for the 5 cheese, and then asked if we could do pepperoni on half of it.
"I'm sorry, we can't do that" the woman replied.
"It's okay, I'll pay for it."
"No, we don't allow substitutions on specialty pizzas."
"No, I don't want to substitute anything. i just want to add pepperoni to half."
"And we can't do that."
"Why?"
"Because each specialty pizza recipe bakes for a specific amount of time, and changing anything throws it off."
"Really?"
"Yes."
"Because half of it has pepperoni?"
"Yes"
"Well, I mean, you sell pepperoni pizza, right? Why can't you just put it in the oven for the amount of time it takes to make a pepperoni pizza?"
"What?"
"Never mind. Listen, I want to change my order. I want to order a pepperoni pizza, but only put the pepperoni on half of it, and on the other half can you put the extra cheeses that you would put on the 5 cheese specialty?"
"Sure, anything else?"
"No, I don't think so. Thank you."

(that is not an exaggerated conversation. That's exactly how it went down. I chalked it up to them having recently opened)

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We probably went 10 or so times during it's existence in Ames, mostly work lunches. We'd go in a group of 5-7 people. The food was pretty good, but the service was so slow. The staff was always very nice, but it just took way too long to get anything.

I also remember the first time we ordered from them, shortly after they opened, I called in to order their specialty 5 cheese pizza. My daughter was on a cheese pizza only kick at the time.
I asked for the 5 cheese, and then asked if we could do pepperoni on half of it.
"I'm sorry, we can't do that" the woman replied.
"It's okay, I'll pay for it."
"No, we don't allow substitutions on specialty pizzas."
"No, I don't want to substitute anything. i just want to add pepperoni to half."
"And we can't do that."
"Why?"
"Because each specialty pizza recipe bakes for a specific amount of time, and changing anything throws it off."
"Really?"
"Yes."
"Because half of it has pepperoni?"
"Yes"
"Well, I mean, you sell pepperoni pizza, right? Why can't you just put it in the oven for the amount of time it takes to make a pepperoni pizza?"
"What?"
"Never mind. Listen, I want to change my order. I want to order a pepperoni pizza, but only put the pepperoni on half of it, and on the other half can you put the extra cheeses that you would put on the 5 cheese specialty?"
"Sure, anything else?"
"No, I don't think so. Thank you."

(that is not an exaggerated conversation. That's exactly how it went down. I chalked it up to them having recently opened)

How did your spit pizza taste?

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
i thought i saw on facebook it had something to do with building rent? I think

I suppose this could be true, but I don't understand how they would think it's a good idea to sink all that $ into remodeling the place without a 20 year lease.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
How did your spit pizza taste?

I nearly had coffee coming out of my nose.

images