The Old Happy Joes Location

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I drove down Duff the other day and saw that they were moving a lot of dirt in that location. Anyone know what they are building?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Another strip mall. A stop light must be going in since the plans say controlled intersection. The idiots who designed the Walmart entrance should've put a light in when Walmart opened instead of 3 years later since people turn across the traffic and get -t-boned or rear-ended about once a week even though it says no left turn. :skeptical:

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
As of 2013 they were going to do a traffic study (link below) to consolidate the accesses along there instead of the many driveways and narrow lots/shallow driveways they had before. Looks like 551 (Happy Joe's) and 705 (Quality Motors) have been re-platted by Hunzilker into one property as per the advertised land above.

http://www.cityofames.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=13170

The existing right-in/right-out at Walmart was definitely "pass the buck"/wishful thinking.

Can't tell from Hunziker brochure how this would impact the Walmart on the other side since is across from Enterprise, and where to line up...is the new driveway for this site is more across from old O'Malley McGees?

http://www.cityofames.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=17598
Pgs 10-12 of these Council minutes talk about a new signal and median...pg 12 moved forward with signal but they need to agree how to get access along there via frontage road and multiple property owners for Hunziker property, Enterprise, Texa$ Roadhouse and old movie theater.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I love Ames, but Duff has been a disaster for a long, long time. Yet, it is only getting worse.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
As of 2013 they were going to do a traffic study (link below) to consolidate the accesses along there instead of the many driveways and narrow lots/shallow driveways they had before. Looks like 551 (Happy Joe's) and 705 (Quality Motors) have been re-platted by Hunzilker into one property as per the advertised land above.

http://www.cityofames.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=13170

The existing right-in/right-out at Walmart was definitely "pass the buck"/wishful thinking.

Can't tell from Hunziker brochure how this would impact the Walmart on the other side since is across from Enterprise, and where to line up...is the new driveway for this site is more across from old O'Malley McGees?

http://www.cityofames.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=17598
Pgs 10-12 of these Council minutes talk about a new signal and median...pg 12 moved forward with signal but they need to agree how to get access along there via frontage road and multiple property owners for Hunziker property, Enterprise, Texa$ Roadhouse and old movie theater.

They voted to move forward with the new signalized intersection and median at a recent meeting, some business owners are dead-set against the idea (mostly the owner of the Texas Roadhouse and Autozone Development site since it woukd limit his access off of Duff but he would also have full access off of S 5th)and the council was pretty divided but it passed in the end.

Last edited:

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
They voted to move forward with the new signalized intersection and median at a recent meeting, some business owners are dead-set against the idea (mostly the owner of the Texas Roadhouse and Autozone Development site since it woukd limit his access off of Duff but he would also have full access off of S 5th)and the council was pretty divided but it passed in the end.
I am completely ok with this.. Texas Roadhouse blows anyways. I have never had a good entree there anytime I have went, and have tried it about 6-7 times. I have given up on them.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I am completely ok with this.. Texas Roadhouse blows anyways. I have never had a good entree there anytime I have went, and have tried it about 6-7 times. I have given up on them.

Kind of the opposite with me. I always brace myself for prices being a bit high and not the best food but when I leave I always feel like I've gotten a really good value for the money I spent.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Kind of the opposite with me. I always brace myself for prices being a bit high and not the best food but when I leave I always feel like I've gotten a really good value for the money I spent.

Those rolls and the butter. Give me about 25 of those and 4 beers. I'd be set.