The Offense: Why is doesn't work (IMO, but I'm right)

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The Offense definitely has a bunch of problems. If I were to rate them:

1. The OL is horrible. They can't run block, they can't sustain their blocks.
2. QB play is inconsistent at best.
3. WRs can't catch and can't get open.
4. Playcalling is bad for the most part.
5. The RBs don't have good vision and miss holes. Woody has been MIA all year due to injury.
6. At TE, Brun does well receiving, but misses a bunch of blocks and Hammer isn't fast enough to be a threat out wide.

Honestly, they need a complete overhaul.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
You know what's nice? When Bob Graham was in on Saturday and we had two true guards in him and Tuftee pushing around Texas defenders.

Our offensive line simply does not get enough push to make the run game work consistently. That forces Mess to rely on the pass because they protect better (most of the time) and we fail to have a quarterback to deliver consistently.

I completely agree that the team needs to forge an identity rather than throwing 30 concepts at the wall and waiting to see what sticks. If you can't run the ball and want to be a running team then coaching needs to re-evaluate who is getting the snaps on offense and I think you began to see that against Texas on Saturday.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
You know what's nice? When Bob Graham was in on Saturday and we had two true guards in him and Tuftee pushing around Texas defenders.

Our offensive line simply does not get enough push to make the run game work consistently. That forces Mess to rely on the pass because they protect better (most of the time) and we fail to have a quarterback to deliver consistently.

I completely agree that the team needs to forge an identity rather than throwing 30 concepts at the wall and waiting to see what sticks. If you can't run the ball and want to be a running team then coaching needs to re-evaluate who is getting the snaps on offense and I think you began to see that against Texas on Saturday.

I've wondered all season if a lot of the problem wasn't the size of the offensive lineman we had. Osemele and Hicks were bigger guys. I know that Rhoads has talked about building a strong, fast line. It just seems like the line needs a balance of big guys and little guys that we don't have this year.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
If you as and OC have a play works you should continue to run plays similar to that until it no longer works. You just found a hole in the defense and should continue to exploit it until the other teams defense adjust leaving another hole in the defense open. Once they adjust find another play type that works, run it for a while, and then go back to the original play and see if they maintained the original adjustment. Continue to run plays types until they don't work, then switch.

I can't remember the game (maybe OSU last year or NU 2 years ago) we ran Woody up the middle. He was getting 5-8 yards per carry. At least 90% of the plays were Woody up the middle. The opposing teams defense couldn't handle it. We drove down the field on basically one type of play, Woody up the middle. The play calls may have been different, but they were the same type of play.

If Mess would have been controlling the offense at that point we would have thrown in 3 pass plays after Woody had 3 successful runs for no to little gain and stopped the drive.

I miss Herman.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I agree that we need to make defenses pay for selling out.

If the sell out to stop the read option, pass to the vacated area. If they are blitzing a ton (and they are), run plays to counter it or roll the pocket.