The moment I quit trying to care

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
This is how I saw it too. He was barking at Shipley at the same moment that Shipley was getting up from the ground and their helmets bumped. The head butt didn't look malicious to me. But like you said, it's not an issue if he's not barking at the other team in the first place.

Respectfully, you're wrong. Watch the replay, it was a blatant head-butt.

Cubsfan

Feb 9, 2009
Des Moines
Can someone explain what happened and at what point in the game? I was stuck at a wedding reception and didnt see any of the game. Sounds like this was a huge turning point.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Can someone explain what happened and at what point in the game? I was stuck at a wedding reception and didnt see any of the game. Sounds like this was a huge turning point.

Defense had just stopped Texas and forced them to punt. After the play was over, LJ walked by the receiver and kind of pushed his helmet into the guy's grill. Texas threw a bomb the next play (at the sub for LJ's side) and scored. Very much a turning point.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

3rd and long. Defense breaks up the pass to Shipley. Causes 4th and 12(?). Starts to talk **** then headbutts him. PF for a 1st down.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
3rd and something like 12 and we stop them. LJ gets up and headbutts Shipley. PF 15 yards, 1st down for Texas. Texas scores next play.

Cytom5

Sep 3, 2010
Ames
I hope he is not hurt bad. But, I thought he'd have matured enough from that UNLV game 4 years ago to today. I have never been that disgusted in his behavior than I was with that head butt. Did he think no one was watching?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCpcAum2BSM]UNLV FB Coach Melts Down After Loss to Iowa State (ISU) - YouTube[/ame]

sorry it had to be done

Wardecker

Oct 13, 2007
Headbutts him while running his mouth. Next play KABOOM! Texas lights up the scoreboard for six on a long one. The whole game hinged on that incident. Texas took off after the Cyclones and ISU just got caught in the stampede.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSM7wd5d-jk]Leonard Johnson's Late Hit vs UNLV - YouTube[/ame]

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Most of the people around me in Section B were complaining about the call, and they were probably not too happy with me continuing to tell them that it was the right call and a bonehead play by LJ. Just unreal to see the defense finally, FINALLY force a punt.....only to have one of our seniors do something stupid like that.

It was actually making me angry that fans around me were upset about the call.....it absolutely was the right call, and just stupidity on the part of our players. I'm just really tired of seeing stupid plays like that. Its too bad we don't have the depth at CB to send LJ to the showers, because that's where he belonged after that play.
I didn't see it from the student section, but seeing it on replay, it was the right call.

We would have wanted the call to go our way if the Texas player had headbutted LJ.

It was a head-to-head hit. The officials have to call it, even if it isn't during the play or at full speed.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I turned to my buddy after that and said "Leonard Johnson just cost us any opportunity we had to win this game"

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
For all of you who didn't see the game and think that LJ actually headbutted the guy...it was barely a love tap. CFB players can get called for that BS every game. He shouldn't have done it...and he maybe should've gotten called for it...but it wasn't that bad.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I don't think it was malicious. He still should have been flagged, though. The fact that he turned around, walked away from his own bench toward Shipley, bent over Shipley and started talking **** should have been enough for him to get flagged. It;s not like they passed each other going to the bench, he went out of his way to go get in Shipley's face and talk ****. Totally uncalled for. I actually found myself screaming at the TV "******* KNOCK IT OFF!" before the head butt even occurred. Pathetic.