The Mandalorian (with Spoilers)

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
i've read most of the EU stuff pre-2004 (which leaves off some of the schlock directly associated with the prequels), and i have to constantly remind myself that the less i remember "the good old days," the better...

that being said, the Mandalorian hasn't yet ****-stomped on anything i'd held as sacred (like even basic physics -- I'm looking at you, Last Jedi!). i'm enjoying the series a lot, especially considering my good friend is putting the episodes on his Plex server...

EDIT: which reminds me that I still don't fully understand why Disney and Lucas agreed to destroy the EU. they would have had tons of ready-made stories that kicked ass, like the X-Wing Saga which would have made for GREAT TV -- Corran Horn was Poe plus latent Jedi ability plus more emotional depth and backstory.

They killed it so they weren't stuck trying to write movies that didnt contradict any of the 100+ books. What is dumb is why haven't they taken any of the good stories and tweaked them to fit into new movies.

• Agree
Reactions: cdface

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
i've read most of the EU stuff pre-2004 (which leaves off some of the schlock directly associated with the prequels), and i have to constantly remind myself that the less i remember "the good old days," the better...

that being said, the Mandalorian hasn't yet ****-stomped on anything i'd held as sacred (like even basic physics -- I'm looking at you, Last Jedi!). i'm enjoying the series a lot, especially considering my good friend is putting the episodes on his Plex server...

EDIT: which reminds me that I still don't fully understand why Disney and Lucas agreed to destroy the EU. they would have had tons of ready-made stories that kicked ass, like the X-Wing Saga which would have made for GREAT TV -- Corran Horn was Poe plus latent Jedi ability plus more emotional depth and backstory.

The Thrawn trilogy would've been a better sequel trilogy vs what we got. Rogue 1 could've had Jan Ors and Kyle Katarn (and not kill them off.)

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I really liked the action in this episode. It also kind of confirmed for me that this isn’t going to be story heavy at all, really more of a Saturday cartoon structure where it’s just the fun adventures of Mando and the baby.

It was cool to see the AT-ST portrayed as more than just cannon fodder that even teddy bears with sticks can destroy. It felt like a monster movie at points.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
They killed it so they weren't stuck trying to write movies that didnt contradict any of the 100+ books. What is dumb is why haven't they taken any of the good stories and tweaked them to fit into new movies.

Most of the books wouldn't work because for example, the Thrawn Trilogy just takes place with a much younger Luke. There are timing issues with everything.

The reused Thrawn in Rebels to great effect. Loved that characterization.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Who says they can’t continue smaller stories? I don’t see how they destroyed anything. As they see a market for the product they will tell more tales.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Baby Yoda can go into hiding like Yoda and doesn't have to die.
Now that the 4th episode is out, it seems established that Baby Yoda has some kind of implant is his body, so he will always be "trackable" eventually. It feels like it's establishing a theme that Mando & Baby Yoda will have to be on the move a lot, going from system to system and having little min-adventures along the way. Kind of a "Quantum Leap" vibe.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
also ...

f8a.png

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Anyone else notice that episode 4 was basically "The Three Amigos"?
Small peaceful town is harassed by a gang of ruffians. So they hire someone to fight them off promising everything they have as payment. The heroes arrive, and at first are like "We can't do this." But eventually, they infiltrate the enemy base, causing the bad guys to come back to the town for a showdown. Meanwhile the town has been trained to fight back, and through the use of clever subterfuge, they overcome the odds and beat back the attackers. Pretty sure that Martin Short might do the voice of baby Yoda as well.

Not complaining. I enjoyed it immensely. Just noticed the similarity.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Small peaceful town is harassed by a gang of ruffians. So they hire someone to fight them off promising everything they have as payment. The heroes arrive, and at first are like "We can't do this." But eventually, they infiltrate the enemy base, causing the bad guys to come back to the town for a showdown. Meanwhile the town has been trained to fight back, and through the use of clever subterfuge, they overcome the odds and beat back the attackers. Pretty sure that Martin Short might do the voice of baby Yoda as well.

Honestly it’s similar to a lot of westerns or even samurai movies

• Agree
Reactions: Tri4Cy

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Now that the 4th episode is out, it seems established that Baby Yoda has some kind of implant is his body, so he will always be "trackable" eventually. It feels like it's establishing a theme that Mando & Baby Yoda will have to be on the move a lot, going from system to system and having little min-adventures along the way. Kind of a "Quantum Leap" vibe.

We aren’t sure how the bounty tracker thing works exactly. The concept has applied to more than just Baby Yoda on the show. A lot of theories out there on Reddit.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I thought that too, but it's probably more of a Seven Samurai homage.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
We aren’t sure how the bounty tracker thing works exactly. The concept has applied to more than just Baby Yoda on the show. A lot of theories out there on Reddit.
If it were something as simple as an implant, you'd think Mando would have tried to do something about it by now...you know, like take it out or disable it somehow. It seems odd that it hasn't really been addressed yet. Whatever it is or however it works, it appears everyone just accepts that once you've got a tracking fob out on you, there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it. They've got to address it a some point.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
If it were something as simple as an implant, you'd think Mando would have tried to do something about it by now...you know, like take it out or disable it somehow. It seems odd that it hasn't really been addressed yet. Whatever it is or however it works, it appears everyone just accepts that once you've got a tracking fob out on you, there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it. They've got to address it a some point.

Wouldnt suprise me that its something medical. Like attached to a lung or heart and if its removed you will no longer live.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Not Mandalorian related, but a new Star Wars show was just announced for Disney+:

Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge, an exciting new Disney+ game show set in a galaxy far, far away, will test young contestants’ abilities in the core Jedi principles of strength, knowledge, and bravery as they face thrilling and fun obstacles in an attempt to achieve the rank of Jedi Knight! From lightsabers to hyperspace, the Force, and the dark side, Jedi Temple Challenge transports viewers and contestants into the Star Wars galaxy like never before.

The show is hosted by Ahmed Best, who will play a Jedi Master and mentor to the contestants. Known to many fans as Jar Jar Binks from the Star Wars prequels,
“This is definitely a kids game show like no other,” says Lucasfilm’s senior director of Online Content & Programming, Mickey Capoferri. “The various challenges will test a Padawan’s connection to the Force in three locations — a forest planet, on board a Jedi star cruiser, and inside a Jedi temple — immersing them and the audience in a fun, humorous, and exciting competition.”
https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-jedi-temple-challenge

Sounds like the old gameshows on Nickelodeon.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Not Mandalorian related, but a new Star Wars show was just announced for Disney+:

Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge, an exciting new Disney+ game show set in a galaxy far, far away, will test young contestants’ abilities in the core Jedi principles of strength, knowledge, and bravery as they face thrilling and fun obstacles in an attempt to achieve the rank of Jedi Knight! From lightsabers to hyperspace, the Force, and the dark side, Jedi Temple Challenge transports viewers and contestants into the Star Wars galaxy like never before.

The show is hosted by Ahmed Best, who will play a Jedi Master and mentor to the contestants. Known to many fans as Jar Jar Binks from the Star Wars prequels,
“This is definitely a kids game show like no other,” says Lucasfilm’s senior director of Online Content & Programming, Mickey Capoferri. “The various challenges will test a Padawan’s connection to the Force in three locations — a forest planet, on board a Jedi star cruiser, and inside a Jedi temple — immersing them and the audience in a fun, humorous, and exciting competition.”

First thing that popped in to my head was the game show Legends of the Hidden Temple.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN

Sounded great until I got to the bolded part.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa

They have used some of the Legends stories in other ways. Grand Admiral Thrawn was utilized very well in Star Wars Rebels. In one episode of Rebels, one of the lead characters turns and speaks almost directly at the viewer and says "There is always a little bit of truth in legends." That was the producer Dave Filoni telling his viewers that the Legends books were not going to be ignored.

• Informative
Reactions: BryceC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron