The MAC cancels its fall football season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Iowa State went into 1918 with a 7-game schedule.

Only ONE of those seven was played as scheduled. One got moved to a new location. Five others were canceled.

The first game of the "season" was the second week of November, against a team cobbled together from guys at Camp Dodge in Johnston. That game wasn't even on the original schedule, but was put together at the last minute because the entire month of October got wiped off the slate.

Several other schools in the Midwest found themselves in the same position -- playing local military bases/posts because games against other schools were being axed left and right.
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing this.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Still haven’t seen any data on US having higher rates of pre-existing conditions and or greater rates of the disorders impacted most my COVID than EU or other areas. Face it USA is fat and generally unhealthy. We need to take MORE caution than others.

Was thinking "But don't they smoke more?" which would seem a factor is a respiratory killer. Looked it up and 28% of EU smokes compared to USA at 19%. But we still have more deaths /100K from smoking, so weird. Than looked and saw that 40% of USA smokers suck down more than pack a day and EU only 9% of smoker suck more than a pack of heaters/day.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Was thinking "But don't they smoke more?" which would seem a factor is a respiratory killer. Looked it up and 28% of EU smokes compared to USA at 19%. But we still have more deaths /100K from smoking, so weird. Than looked and saw that 40% of USA smokers suck down more than pack a day and EU only 9% of smoker suck more than a pack of heaters/day.
I think smoking in the EU is like a social thing that is linked with drinking beer. You drink a beer, and you smoke a cigarette. I was friends with some semi-professional irish soccer players who only smoked when they drank.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Thank you for your expert medical opinion. IF everyone had done what you keep accusing EVERYONE of doing, wouldn't it have spread to everyone by now and football would be good to go?

The virus is not going to just go away so if you want to hide away, go ahead, just stop passing judgement on everyone else. My wife and I both work in "essential" businesses and our work lives did not change at all. We have come into contact with dozens if not hundreds of people that have actually had the virus. Either our precautions are working or we have already had it and I am sure many others on this board have similar experiences. Frankly, the more personal experiences people share about the virus, the less scary it becomes. Turn off the national news and actually interact with friends and neighbors, and maybe you will be less frightened.
No one is forcing anyone to participate in any of these activities, by now everyone knows the risks and they can decide what is right for them.

IcSyUclone

Mar 20, 2020
Thank you for your expert medical opinion. IF everyone had done what you keep accusing EVERYONE of doing, wouldn't it have spread to everyone by now and football would be good to go?

The virus is not going to just go away so if you want to hide away, go ahead, just stop passing judgement on everyone else. My wife and I both work in "essential" businesses and our work lives did not change at all. We have come into contact with dozens if not hundreds of people that have actually had the virus. Either our precautions are working or we have already had it and I am sure many others on this board have similar experiences. Frankly, the more personal experiences people share about the virus, the less scary it becomes. Turn off the national news and actually interact with friends and neighbors, and maybe you will be less frightened.
No one is forcing anyone to participate in any of these activities, by now everyone knows the risks and they can decide what is right for them.
It's there supposed to be a point in here about playing football in a month?

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
and yet it was still played with less resources then what teams have now

The season was shortened in response to the war and pandemic and seasons were shorter then anyway.

It wasn't anything like it is now, you didn't have the same amount of players, teams, coaches, etc.

Far less moving parts and social life wasn't remotely close to what it is now.

Making the comparison makes about as much sense as comparing Covid to the original SARS 2003 (773 global deaths) or Ebola (2 U.S. deaths) and neither were spread asymptomatically. Ebola is actually spread via direct contact with fluid so it's REALLY not comparable at all.

Here's the factual information regarding SARS 2003. Read the numbers, then compare them to the Covid numbers, and see which is worse in a 6 month time frame.

kcbob79clone

Iowa State went into 1918 with a 7-game schedule.

Only ONE of those seven was played as scheduled. One got moved to a new location. Five others were canceled.

The first game of the "season" was the second week of November, against a team cobbled together from guys at Camp Dodge in Johnston. That game wasn't even on the original schedule, but was put together at the last minute because the entire month of October got wiped off the slate.

Several other schools in the Midwest found themselves in the same position -- playing local military bases/posts because games against other schools were being axed left and right.

So they waited until the very end to start games, but folks on here disagreed with my plan to save CFB by limiting the games to 9 and waiting till the last minute to play.

Interesting historical perspective!

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Still haven’t seen any data on US having higher rates of pre-existing conditions and or greater rates of the disorders impacted most my COVID than EU or other areas. Face it USA is fat and generally unhealthy. We need to take MORE caution than others.

It's been a great opportunity for a wake up call for people to work on their health, but I saw somewhere that ice cream sales were really high.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
It's there supposed to be a point in here about playing football in a month?
Yes, clonedude has been droning on for weeks about how stupid people are and if everyone would have just stayed home we somehow would miraculously have been able to have a normal football season.

• Agree
Reactions: HoustonClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I'd wonder if other countries' diets are also better and if physical activity is higher to counter the smoking.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

IcSyUclone

Mar 20, 2020
Yes, clonedude has been droning on for weeks about how stupid people are and if everyone would have just stayed home we somehow would miraculously have been able to have a normal football season.
That's not a very good point. We would have CFB if people would have changed their habits, wore masks and social distanced.
Look at the community spread in other countries. They would absolutely be playing CFB. We can't but that's ok, we have our freedom to not wear masks.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
If the US had controlled the spread as well as the EU, we wouldn't be talking about canceling the season.

image.png

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's not a very good point. We would have CFB if people would have changed their habits, wore masks and social distanced.
Look at the community spread in other countries. They would absolutely be playing CFB. We can't but that's ok, we have our freedom to not wear masks.

My favorite is that people think going to or watching or listening to college football seem to think it's a 'right' when really it's nothing more than a privilege or luxury.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There are a lot of peeps in this thread that likely only brake for pedestrians to avoid the potential damage to their automobile.

Hey if someone wants to drive 50 mph through a residential area, that's their choice and it's anyone else's fault who gets in their way because personal responsibility and people die from taking selfies on cliffs, why no college football?

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclones01

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
So they waited until the very end to start games, but folks on here disagreed with my plan to save CFB by limiting the games to 9 and waiting till the last minute to play.

They didn't "wait to the end" necessarily; games were being canceled week by week: 'Oh, it's Wednesday afternoon and your campus is going into quarantine? Well, scratch Saturday's game then.'

IcSyUclone

Mar 20, 2020
My favorite is that people think going to or watching or listening to college football seem to think it's a 'right' when really it's nothing more than a privilege or luxury.
Maybe that's the key. Show people it's a privilege.
If you want that privilege back do your part and hold those around you accountable for their part. Let's limit three spread like 90% of other developed countries and get back some normalcy.