The MAC cancels its fall football season

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Vast Majority of people seem to be hyper vigilent about what is going on. When i go out i see a heck of a lot of people wearing masks and trying to keep distance.

In the past 3-4 months I've not seen or been around anyone in any store that has coughed or sneezed. I havent heard a person sneeze or cough in literally 6 months. I just noticed it few months ago and I try to pay attn when I'm out of anyone that might be sneezing or coughing. Zip..ZERO...NADA.

When it is FLU and COld season in the winter you can go out and go to the grocery store and see and hear people sneezing and coughing all the time. Maybe i'm an aberration idk.

Look at the stats nationally and when we hit our peak....Kinda coincides with all the mass protests..IT doesnt kind of...it is the reason for the highest spike in this country. Thousands and thousands in the streets day after day after day...yelling, screaming not social distancing etc.

Could you be more unspecific?

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
"Buckle up...........it's the LAW"

You need to brush up on the difference between laws and "mandates" and why it's better to live under one and not the other. Until then.........scream louder.

Right! Because there are no unjust laws! Laws are never used for wrong! As long as it's "law" I will comply

I can't breathe in this mask! They don't work! So why would I even take minimum steps!

No one can fence me in! You've convinced me! **** the experts! I AM THE EXPERT!

Can't wait to see some of you folks on videos ******** at the Walmart about your HIPPA rights and ****.

What'll be great is we'll have a vaccine and it won't be used because Qanon and "patriot" types won't be mandated to and whatnot

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
the 1918 is a prime example... end of WW1 and a flu pandemic yet we still had college FB, we still played ball during H1N1, Ebola, Sars, etc...

6 months in, these are still used as comparisons. Wild.

You do know H1N1, SARS and Ebola weren't nearly as prevelant, right? Less than 20,000 died from Swine Flu for example. That's less then a month of Covid.

You did look up the numbers of those vs Covid, correct? Then you would know why they didn't lead to cancellations?
And can you point to any evidence that college football was as big of an industry in 1918 as it is now?

Reactions: Cyclad

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
To me, the MAC did this to try and put pressure on the P5 to do the same since MAC schools are set to lose a lot of money with conference only games being a thing. I still think every attempt will be made to play football in the fall. Ia it possible that we don't make it through an entire season, for sure, but I see no way this cash cow is not at least attempted.

Just my opinion, flame away.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
To me, the MAC did this to try and put pressure on the P5 to do the same since MAC schools are set to lose a lot of money with conference only games being a thing. I still think every attempt will be made to play football in the fall. Ia it possible that we don't make it through an entire season, for sure, but I see no way this cash cow is not at least attempted.

Who knows? It’s not like there’s a deadly virus spreading uncontrolled through the country or anything. So it only makes sense that the MAC is trying to play games with the P5.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Who knows? It’s not like there’s a deadly virus spreading uncontrolled through the country or anything. So it only makes sense that the MAC is trying to play games with the P5.
Not denying that. I just think money is just as much of a factor in these decisions as player/personnel safety. I think our AD has made the very clear.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
"They'll never cancel the NCAA tournament. Too much money to be lost."

- Cyched, circa March 2020

I think there was a ton of confusion at that point. I'm not confident we get through a season, I just think they will try. Just my opinion.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
and yet it was still played with less resources then what teams have now

Iowa State went into 1918 with a 7-game schedule.

Only ONE of those seven was played as scheduled. One got moved to a new location. Five others were canceled.

The first game of the "season" was the second week of November, against a team cobbled together from guys at Camp Dodge in Johnston. That game wasn't even on the original schedule, but was put together at the last minute because the entire month of October got wiped off the slate.

Several other schools in the Midwest found themselves in the same position -- playing local military bases/posts because games against other schools were being axed left and right.

kcbob79clone

"Follow the money"