The Last Jedi?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Yeah, I'm all over the place with this one.
I still don't really know who the First Order is, and I'm trying to decide if I care.

The idea of a Kyle Ren/Rey alliance is interesting but weird. They're both so flawed as Jedi at this stage, to put it mildly.

Intriguing, but confusing. I want to see this more than I did before, but not sure I want to spend the money for it.

The First Order is basically all of the survivors of the empire after the battle of Endor who regrouped to continue as a new entity. The books go in to more details about how they operate and how they got to where they are now. But as far as the movies go, the crawl in episode 7 said they were basically survivors of the fallen empire and regrouped to form the first order. It is still unclear how Snoke is a part of this.

From the trailer, it definitely appears that Kylo and Rey may join forces. But this could still just be a misdirection. This could be fancy shots to make it look like that. But it could still be a twist or part of a plan on Rey's part to infiltrate Snokes hideout. Just speculation.

I find it intriguing that someone on the dark side and light may join together since they are both lost on their current sides. This could be interesting as episode 9 could be the first order and/or the resistance stopping the combination of Kylo and Rey from what ever their combined objectives are.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, I'm all over the place with this one.
I still don't really know who the First Order is, and I'm trying to decide if I care.

The idea of a Kyle Ren/Rey alliance is interesting but weird. They're both so flawed as Jedi at this stage, to put it mildly.

Intriguing, but confusing. I want to see this more than I did before, but not sure I want to spend the money for it.

Really not knowing much about the First Order is no different than not knowing much about the Empire from the first movie. Prequals aside, Star Wars has always been about the main characters journeys, not a dense science fiction story with a lot of intricate details.

Reactions: BryceC

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
20 years ago, people could have guilted me into reading the extra novels and such.
Being older gave me more of an attitude about it. Now I'll just think and say, "Go ahead and do your job as a writer if you want me to know what you're writing about."

The First Order is the Empire 2.0. That's all you need to know, and it's all we initially knew about the Empire from the first three. They are the bad guys.

I've only read one series of novels, the Thrawn Trilogy, and they were actually good.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I like the "grey jedi" theory. Luke has learned to use the dark side powers without completely giving in. So Rey and Kylo being his past and present pupils, they have to learn to walk the line without giving in to the darkness.
Or maybe Luke just kinda sucks at teaching Jedi. After blowing up death star 1, he kind of coasted. Han saved him from freezing, Leia saved him from dying at Cloud City, he made out with his sister, Dad killed the emporer, Lando blew up death star 2. Not a great resume overall

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I've only read one series of novels, the Thrawn Trilogy, and they were actually good.
Timothy Zahn also wrote a new Thrawn novel that was released last year, and has a second in the works currently. Those are the only two of the new-canon novels I have any temptation to read.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I like the "grey jedi" theory. Luke has learned to use the dark side powers without completely giving in. So Rey and Kylo being his past and present pupils, they have to learn to walk the line without giving in to the darkness.
Or maybe Luke just kinda sucks at teaching Jedi. After blowing up death star 1, he kind of coasted. Han saved him from freezing, Leia saved him from dying at Cloud City, he made out with his sister, Dad killed the emporer, Lando blew up death star 2. Not a great resume overall

Luke coasting on his singular achievement and name recognition... he's the Ohio State of Star Wars.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The First Order is the Empire 2.0. That's all you need to know, and it's all we initially knew about the Empire from the first three. They are the bad guys.

Sure, that's all we initially knew back in the day, but they had done 5 more movies after/before that building a universe. Time to fill stuff in after a massive change from the Rebellion's victory.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
From what I have gathered, some of that information is in the new novels that have been published since they declared all novels prior to the acquisition by Disney as non-canon.

For example, I know a couple of the novels follow the aftermath of the destruction of the 2nd Death Star, including the battle that resulted in all of the crashed ships on Jakku in episode 7.

I'll still see this movie and enjoy it, but I kind of wish that I didn't feel like I'm missing out on the back-story that is contained within the novels. Twenty years ago I would have read all of them, but at this point in my life I just don't have time for it.

They did? I thought some (most) did indeed remain canon?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Sure, that's all we initially knew back in the day, but they had done 5 more movies after/before that building a universe. Time to fill stuff in after a massive change from the Rebellion's victory.

IMO we'll see a TV series fill in that gap, which is pretty much the Disney MO. They filled in the gap between Episode 2 and 3 with the Clone Wars, and now the gap between 3 and Rogue One with Rebels. and for the record, Rebels is fantastic and maybe my favorite Star Wars stuff since the originals.

They did? I thought some (most) did indeed remain canon?

None that I'm aware of - they basically redacted everything.

Reactions: cycloneG

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Ray is Palpantines granddaughter and Luke refuses to train her because he senses the evil in her. Kyle Ren can't kill his mom, gets pushed out of the dark side, comes back to take on Rey as the last Jedi in the last one.

WRITE IT DOWN

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Ray is Palpantines granddaughter and Luke refuses to train her because he senses the evil in her. Kyle Ren can't kill his mom, gets pushed out of the dark side, comes back to take on Rey as the last Jedi in the last one.

WRITE IT DOWN
200_s.gif

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
You can put me in the group that was less than thrilled by the new trailer.

At this point, I'm just hoping that the Star Wars Universe spin-offs are good, as Rogue One was.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA

WRITE IT DOWN
You might not be right, but you probably just threw out a better plot that what we'll see.