The last 4 years Texas has recruited ...

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
There's a reason Gene Chizik has more national championships than BIll Snyder, and it's not because the Chiz is a better coach. Great coaching can get you far, but more times than not elite talent takes your further. Combine both and then you're damn near unstoppable; see Alabama.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Yep, ole Tennessee, Florida, Texas, aTm, ND, et al being ripping 'em up lately haven't they. Whew!

It would be a good time for Gramps to schedule these five programs in the preseason instead of Middle Tennessee St. and all of their four star talent.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
There's a reason Gene Chizik has more national championships than BIll Snyder, and it's not because the Chiz is a better coach. Great coaching can get you far, but more times than not elite talent takes your further. Combine both and then you're damn near unstoppable; see Alabama.
Chizik was fired, he was so bad. So, it's really not all about talent, is it.

The points are many. First, guys at Rivals, etc. use a method for determining talent that's not about an individual's skill or aptitude, it's about whose recruiting whom, thus Texas is always highly rated. Second, they can have all the talent in the world, but if the coach is Strong rather than Mack, they'll fail. And third, fans put way, way too much glow on recruiting rankings - like druggies, they're addicted to nonsense. It's why many now say, "I don't pay attention to recruiting."

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Winning is a combination of talent, training, coaching and scheme. Yes, TX has done very little with a lot of talent. A lot of that is because they have had no direction at TX. They got great talent, but had no plan on how to use it or how guys were going to fit into the program. Lots of speedy receivers, no one that can throw. Their defense has been lost a lot of the time. Again, it isn't because they don't have good players. It is because they are not prepared to play. I look for TX to make fast improvement under Herman. Personally, I am glad ISU gets them early in the season.

• Agree
Reactions: surly

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

The points are many. First, guys at Rivals, etc. use a method for determining talent that's not about an individual's skill or aptitude, it's about whose recruiting whom, thus Texas is always highly rated. Second, they can have all the talent in the world, but if the coach is Strong rather than Mack, they'll fail. And third, fans put way, way too much glow on recruiting rankings - like druggies, they're addicted to nonsense. It's why many now say, "I don't pay attention to recruiting."

No, it's not all about talent. But it's also not all about coaching. It's stupid to completely disregard or dismiss either factor. Recruiting rankings are important if for no other reason than national perception. Not all fans pay attention to it but some do, and potential recruits look at it too.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Wait, you're saying the guy that won a National Title and then proceeded to get fired was bad? If he was bad and STILL won a title, was it because he recruited talent......or.......??..

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Wait, he didn't recruit that talent. Beat Iowa!

So, Chizik sucks, but won a title with talent he didn't recruit?

You're really desperate for us to say that coaching trumps talent, but we've taken ourselves down that road a million times and found that talent does indeed trump coaching. If you're unlucky enough to lack both, like we have plenty of times, then you lose even more games.

Congrats on having a savant like Snyder. He's excellent and will be until he retires. Good for you.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Since we're picking on outliers, here's a question for you.

You have to bet $100 on this. With everything else remaining unchanged, do you think Texas would have a better or worse record these past few years if they had gotten kids with less stars?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So, Chizik sucks, but won a title with talent he didn't recruit?

You're really desperate for us to say that coaching trumps talent, but we've taken ourselves down that road a million times and found that talent does indeed trump coaching. If you're unlucky enough to lack both, like we have plenty of times, then you lose even more games.

Congrats on having a savant like Snyder. He's excellent and will be until he retires. Good for you.

There you go. That's what he wanted to hear.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It really bugs me that these posts are originating in Minnesota. I get that Surly is a total ******* goof but still, it is my state.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Since we're picking on outliers, here's a question for you.

You have to bet $100 on this. With everything else remaining unchanged, do you think Texas would have a better or worse record these past few years if they had gotten kids with less stars?
That's a false comparative. Texas would have been better with better coaching and players. The fact they failed is a factor of both. Their classes were clearly overrated or ratings don't matter. I tend to believe it's a little of both, and further, that we really don't know until a few years out about the quality of recruits.

Last edited: