The infamous holding call

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
One tram seems to put more effort in by extra practice. Can tell because less penalties and turnovers. Besides, the one who wins more has to be more concert. Mac won a lot and it was important to him. How can it be that important to the team that over the life has won more.
Whoever wins....it’s that teams Super Bowl. Basically how it’s shaken out over the years. At least according to the losing teams fan base.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
One tram seems to put more effort in by extra practice. Can tell because less penalties and turnovers. Besides, the one who wins more has to be more concert. Mac won a lot and it was important to him. How can it be that important to the team that over the life has won more.

That is a very skewed stat by the fact that Iowa wouldn't play the game during a 20 year stretch they were the worst team in the country.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
That’s the way to do it!!!
Definitely. And I'm sure you'd say the same had it been the other way around, 'cuz a conference championship is WAYYY better than winning yesterday's ballgame (even though we both still want to actually win the rivalry game).

• Agree
Reactions: criticalobserver

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Definitely. And I'm sure you'd say the same had it been the other way around, 'cuz a conference championship is WAYYY better than winning yesterday's ballgame (even though we both still want to actually win the rivalry game).
That’s a good way to look at and I agree.

• Agree
Reactions: criticalobserver

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Whoever wins....it’s that teams Super Bowl. Basically how it’s shaken out over the years. At least according to the losing teams fan base.

Hayden fry deemed it our super bowl when we were in the 15 year run. So how is that so? He’s the one who started the super bowl talk.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
I haven't read the whole thread, it was clearly a blown call.

My bigger beef tho is that it was the first hold I believe they called all game, after Lima was getting held all game. You can't swallow the whistle all game and then call it.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It did happen in basketball with John Higgins and he received death threats to his house and business. That is why he has never ref'd another Iowa game after that.

Here is the game where it all went down....

Hollywood Higgins was responsible for Fran losing his ****?

“Heroes get remembered, but legends never die”

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90 and JP4CY

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If that was ISU's Super Bowl it's going to be a long season.

I always love hearing the Super Bowl analogy, as it's the most cliche by fan bases in all amatuer and professional sports. It means a ton for the fans, and maybe some for longer term coaches invested in one specific organization, but the players care very little if any at all. You think the 2nd year DB out of Texas or Florida gives two ***** about playing a "rival" instate school they had no clue barely existed before the season?

It happens in pro sports too. I'm a huge Cubs fan and think back to Cards/Cubs rivalries. Yes it helps as they are in the same division to win, but there is no way the players care more about beating them because of the name on their uniform than any other team. They are out there to play a game they love (college) or for money (and love pros).

Exception to this rule, obviously Niang.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The one pleasant surprise out of all of this is even the biggest Hawkeye homers on this site are admitting it was a terrible call. That's when you know it was a really bad flag

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
How do you get on a level like Iowa where you can hold play after play, move right up to the snap and lineman can rock back early yet they get called for it once all game?