The infamous holding call

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Going back to the Iowa State bowl game last year. We had a player called for targeting as a QB was running the ball. I don't think the player has to be defenseless anymore. All it looks at is if the defensive player led with the crown of his helmet.
I think it was Harvey that was dq'd, which was the right call....then one of our defensive lineman was hit up for when the QB turned his head into the lineman's(forget name). If I recall, they threw the flag, didn't dq him but gave Washington State 15 yards. All I am saying is by the letter of the rule......they blew it. Flag it...look at it....then decide. If targeting is such a big deal that is what they should do.....no exceptions.

• Agree
Reactions: nickoff and moores2

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
FYI-He didn't get it past the line of scrimmage. Had nothing to do with a receiver in the area
Well it does. If a receiver is in the area no matter what else happens it's not grounding, even if the pass doesn't go beyond the LOS. Blown up screens happen a lot where the QB clearly just throws it in the ground in the area of the RB and it's not grounding.

In this case it was not past the LOS, nor was there an eligible receiver in the area, which is why it's grounding. It's clear, and not sure how anyone can argue. #68 was there, but he's not an eligible receiver, so he doesn't count.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
The infamous hold was a disappointment, and my angst with it was the call being inconsistent when looked over the entire game.

The call I have biggest issue with was the open field H2H ... crown to crown, lowered head to make the hit. No flag. why not?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Well it does. If a receiver is in the area no matter what else happens it's not grounding, even if the pass doesn't go beyond the LOS. Blown up screens happen a lot where the QB clearly just throws it in the ground in the area of the RB and it's not grounding.

In this case it was not past the LOS, nor was there an eligible receiver in the area, which is why it's grounding. It's clear, and not sure how anyone can argue. #68 was there, but he's not an eligible receiver, so he doesn't count.

I have literally never seen intentional grounding when a player's arm gets hit. Seems that happens quite a bit and it is usually reviewed to see if it was a fumble or an incomplete pass, but I have never seen it called for intentional grounding. I think they got that one wrong too.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
I'm still really surprised the obvious PI wasn't called in the redzone on Iowa's last scoring drive. The dude was riding Beyer like Seabiscuit. Really would have liked Iowa's chances punching it in after the 15, but oh well.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
The infamous hold was a disappointment, and my angst with it was the call being inconsistent when looked over the entire game.

The call I have biggest issue with was the open field H2H ... crown to crown, lowered head to make the hit. No flag. why not?
It wasn't inconsistent, it was non-existent.........until that last drive. And had our special teams been able to get out of their own way, it would have been interesting to see what they would have found to call that last minute of play.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

This hasn't been talked about enough. This was really bad.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Yeah, it was pretty poor "coverage" but D- might be a little harsh. He got away with it so can't hold it against him. It's an unfortunate call, but what can you do?

ca5a10668d79da0b53d44182304d0585-full.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: HawkInCO

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
This hasn't been talked about enough. This was really bad.
I have been saying it since it happened.....by the letter of the rule.....anytime a player leads with the crown of the helmet it needs a look.

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
One issue I had was when Geno Stone cramped up in the back of the end zone on our last field goal drive. He gets treatment from the trainers and comes off as required for one play. Iowa State calls a timeout to figure out what they want to run, and he comes back on without us running a play.
This is not allowed, which honestly I didn't know until Oregon vs. Auburn this year when Herbert got hurt, Oregon called a timeout before their next snap, and Herbert tried to come back but the refs wouldn't let him because they hadn't run a play yet. That is something that every ref should know, and it is not a bang-bang play, you just have to be paying attention. I don't think it would have made much of a difference, but it does show the general incompetence of some refs.

• Informative
Reactions: keepngoal

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
One issue I had was when Geno Stone cramped up in the back of the end zone on our last field goal drive. He gets treatment from the trainers and comes off as required for one play. Iowa State calls a timeout to figure out what they want to run, and he comes back on without us running a play.
This is not allowed, which honestly I didn't know until Oregon vs. Auburn this year when Herbert got hurt, Oregon called a timeout before their next snap, and Herbert tried to come back but the refs wouldn't let him because they hadn't run a play yet. That is something that every ref should know, and it is not a bang-bang play, you just have to be paying attention. I don't think it would have made much of a difference, but it does show the general incompetence of some refs.
Wow......they let that happen? Didn't notice that. I hope these aren't the best officials the Big Turd conference has.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha
Wow......they let that happen? Didn't notice that. I hope these aren't the best officials the Big Turd conference has.
Someone could double-check me on the replay, but before we called timeout they sent #1 out to replace him, and I didn't see him on the field after the timeout.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
That’s a cop out. That incorrect call undoubtedly had a major influence on the outcome of the game. The fact other things contributed doesn’t mean it doesn’t share blame.

Agree though, it takes a lot for us to lose to Iowa. Just like with the UNI game had Purdy not fortuitously recovered the fumble in the third OT, the bad “fumble” call wouldn’t have been the only reason we lost. But at least that was in the third. Bad calls with a few minutes left in the fourth are way more impactful.
So much this. Tons of people don't understand the difference between a bad call that happened in the first quarter versus one that happens on the last drive and last down of a one-posession game. If a team gets a bad call in the first quarter, they have time to recover and adjust. Last down? Not really. People need to stop saying both things are equal.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Was the game stopped for him as an injured player?